The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Dawnbreaker and Onslaught cast times

MCBIZZLE300
MCBIZZLE300
✭✭✭✭✭
For the most part I've found this new patch for pvp a positive one (setting aside the bugs). However I have to say the cast time for Dawnbreaker and Onslaught is a really bad change in my opinion. It feels awkward and hard to weave in between a dizzying swing (or other ability), cant switch cast it, cant block cast it, cant rolldodge cast it. I cant remember seeing anyone ask for a cast time on these two abilities and am wondering what the idea behind it was? Slowing down gameplay is never welcome in my book and as a stamsorc main in cyrodiil I have no class alternative cheap ultimate. Do other people agree with this sentiment? or is it just me.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course it’s awful but I’m sure you’ll get people in here yapping about stamina supremacy and how you need to L2P now that your one hit kill instant damage crutch is gone and so on. Too many people couldn’t deal with it and complained there was no counter play so here we are.
    Edited by Vapirko on August 30, 2019 10:30AM
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just you, ty to for your comments
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was running my old 2h/S&B StamSorc build when the patch first dropped, but it felt like I was slotting Dawnbreaker just for the passive because it missed like half the time. So, I switched to a Dizzying Swing build and I only use Onslaught once the opponent is in the air and can't react -- it feels much better now (than my previous build). It seems that you must first stun before using an ultimate now.
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermethys wrote: »
    I was running my old 2h/S&B StamSorc build when the patch first dropped, but it felt like I was slotting Dawnbreaker just for the passive because it missed like half the time. So, I switched to a Dizzying Swing build and I only use Onslaught once the opponent is in the air and can't react -- it feels much better now (than my previous build). It seems that you must first stun before using an ultimate now.

I find when i go from a dizzy straight into the ulti more often than not it just charges another dizzy.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a StamDK I'm not sure Onslaught is worth the slot. Mine and others' anxiety that Corrosive would now be obsolete might have been premature, but I'm not sure yet. I can't say I'm a huge fan of this new Onslaught so far. Frankly I probably get almost as much damage out of Leap as I would Onslaught, in the long run.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a StamDK I'm not sure Onslaught is worth the slot. Mine and others' anxiety that Corrosive would now be obsolete might have been premature, but I'm not sure yet. I can't say I'm a huge fan of this new Onslaught so far. Frankly I probably get almost as much damage out of Leap as I would Onslaught, in the long run.

Atleast u have the option of wings, i find it hard to understand how a DK can have wings and a templar can have sweep as insta casts but dawnbreaker and onslaught need a cast time.
  • Firebrand10
    Firebrand10
    ✭✭✭
    Cast times need to either be greatly reduced as to not feel so clucky or completely removed.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mcb123 wrote: »
    For the most part I've found this new patch for pvp a positive one (setting aside the bugs). However I have to say the cast time for Dawnbreaker and Onslaught is a really bad change in my opinion. It feels awkward and hard to weave in between a dizzying swing (or other ability), cant switch cast it, cant block cast it, cant rolldodge cast it. I cant remember seeing anyone ask for a cast time on these two abilities and am wondering what the idea behind it was? Slowing down gameplay is never welcome in my book and as a stamsorc main in cyrodiil I have no class alternative cheap ultimate. Do other people agree with this sentiment? or is it just me.

So you are unhappy it works like every other ult in the game...?

Also, nerfing an ult to match the speed of others and prevent the exploit of a bug is slowing down gameplay? Hm...

Atleast u have the option of wings, i find it hard to understand how a DK can have wings and a templar can have sweep as insta casts but dawnbreaker and onslaught need a cast time.

Because they are not actually instant, and by the way, you can roll dodge both of them if you do it right.

EDIT: Don't meteor cast time also say "instant?" There is no correlation to that term and delays.
    Edited by Kadoin on August 30, 2019 11:11AM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove cast times from soulsiphon atleast, i mean its an emergency heal ultimate...wich is completely useless if you have to wait 0.4s for it to start healing. Thats plenty of time to die.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Diarf
    Diarf
    ✭✭✭
    You can feint ults now with sound and graphic effects. Force them to roll few times. Do some mind games with your enemy.
    Cast time high dmg ult can be your advantage in battle.
  • irstarkey57
    irstarkey57
    ✭✭✭✭

No one ever asked for it. But we should all know by now that they are doing many changes without us “asking” for it. They have also been pretty clear as to why they are doing it. One word. Homogenization. Hate it or love it, that is the direction of the game. Class identity is going the way of the DoDo Bird. I’m not an advocate by any means but I do understand why they are doing it. People were getting deleted by certain builds that could ani-cancel onslaught, bash weave, etc and it wouldn’t even show up on their tool tip as to what was killing them. Many other ultra in the game were not able to utilize this “rule” so to speak on being able to dump so much damage in that global cool down spot. Examples being a meteor from mages guild, or a dragon knight leap and so on. Long story longer, Zos basically just wanted to be sure there was time to either block or roll dodge; aka counterplay. So yes, while many of us don’t much like it because we have played a different and faster style of combat, the reasoning behind the change, in this instance, does hold merit. Onslaught is still incredibly strong, but with its’ “nerfs” it may not necessarily be a clear go to. That being said, a class that I have ranted about for not having much counter-play at all, Magplar, is actually running onslaught. That’s it’s own subject though. Anyway, hope that makes some sense. You can find Zos’ actual words on the changes in their developer notes as well if you are interested. Cheers.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's been changed lets not forget incap.

Melee range castimes are awful period.

Dawnbreaker being AoE can hit multiple targets. Incap has a cast time and it can only maybe hit 1 person.

Meanwhile there a AoE ults that are guaranteed to hit from 28 meters away. Lol.

Balance? Where?
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No one ever asked for it. But we should all know by now that they are doing many changes without us “asking” for it. They have also been pretty clear as to why they are doing it. One word. Homogenization. Hate it or love it, that is the direction of the game. Class identity is going the way of the DoDo Bird. I’m not an advocate by any means but I do understand why they are doing it. People were getting deleted by certain builds that could ani-cancel onslaught, bash weave, etc and it wouldn’t even show up on their tool tip as to what was killing them. Many other ultra in the game were not able to utilize this “rule” so to speak on being able to dump so much damage in that global cool down spot. Examples being a meteor from mages guild, or a dragon knight leap and so on. Long story longer, Zos basically just wanted to be sure there was time to either block or roll dodge; aka counterplay. So yes, while many of us don’t much like it because we have played a different and faster style of combat, the reasoning behind the change, in this instance, does hold merit. Onslaught is still incredibly strong, but with its’ “nerfs” it may not necessarily be a clear go to. That being said, a class that I have ranted about for not having much counter-play at all, Magplar, is actually running onslaught. That’s it’s own subject though. Anyway, hope that makes some sense. You can find Zos’ actual words on the changes in their developer notes as well if you are interested. Cheers.

Time to block then they make streak unblockable? slowing down gameplay is not the answer it feels clunky and awkward.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

So you are unhappy it works like every other ult in the game...?

Also, nerfing an ult to match the speed of others and prevent the exploit of a bug is slowing down gameplay? Hm...

Because they are not actually instant, and by the way, you can roll dodge both of them if you do it right.

EDIT: Don't meteor cast time also say "instant?" There is no correlation to that term and delays.

you can rolldodge dawnbreaker and onslaught even before the changes. It feels clunky and awkward now. It's not that its less strong thats the problem its the fact it feels horrible. meteor you can switch cancel, block cancell and roll cancel. dawnbreaker and onslaught just feels awful. Wings is undodgeable and streak is even unblockable. It slows down gameplay because you cant animation cancel it, animation cancelling is what makes this game great and rewards intricate gameplay. With these changes its been watered down big time, rewarding skill and reflexes less in favour of a slower pace.
    Edited by MCBIZZLE300 on August 30, 2019 12:55PM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Of course it’s awful but I’m sure you’ll get people in here yapping about stamina supremacy and how you need to L2P now that your one hit kill instant damage crutch is gone and so on. Too many people couldn’t deal with it and complained there was no counter play so here we are.

I'm feeling very attacked right now :'(
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone is running around with 250+ ping and 35k health this change prob doesn’t effect their play style. If you run a high performance precision medium armor build the change is downright terrible. Cast times never felt good in this game and only serve to mask some of the poor server performance.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on August 30, 2019 2:02PM
  • Thanatos_inside
    Thanatos_inside
    ✭✭✭
    Incap is not even aoe...
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    @mcb123 The cast time addition is most likely because ZoS couldn't find a way to push the damage application of those ults to match the animation. Before, you could cast DB, and the damage was applied instantly, before the character lifted his arm or the flash of light. ZoS doesn't want this, they want the ability to counter the damage in that small window of wind up.

On dk leap, the damage is applied when landing. During the time in the air, the character cannot perform any other action, including block, dodge roll and bar swap. I can block leaps point blank if I pay attention, and I've seen others do so as well. Meteor has a huge telegraph and delay. Against a good player, one must set up a stun into ult for both of these cases.

I agree with the goal of the change, but not the implementation. I would rather see the damage application pushed back so one can still block/dodge during the animation and still get the damage, just not instantly at the beginning of the animation.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mcb123 The cast time addition is most likely because ZoS couldn't find a way to push the damage application of those ults to match the animation. Before, you could cast DB, and the damage was applied instantly, before the character lifted his arm or the flash of light. ZoS doesn't want this, they want the ability to counter the damage in that small window of wind up.

On dk leap, the damage is applied when landing. During the time in the air, the character cannot perform any other action, including block, dodge roll and bar swap. I can block leaps point blank if I pay attention, and I've seen others do so as well. Meteor has a huge telegraph and delay. Against a good player, one must set up a stun into ult for both of these cases.

I agree with the goal of the change, but not the implementation. I would rather see the damage application pushed back so one can still block/dodge during the animation and still get the damage, just not instantly at the beginning of the animation.

Incap, db and onslaught can end up doing zero damage. In melee range.

No way should they have cast times if other ults have guarantee hits from 28 meters away.

Being blockable isn't a downside for range ults when melee ults are as well, on top of being dodgable.

Not at all balanced.
    Edited by Royalthought on August 30, 2019 2:58PM
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly didn't notice it after playing for a while.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    I honestly didn't notice it after playing for a while.

I think it depends on the class you play. I find it horrific because of the fast paces playstle of stamsorc, plus it doesnt seem to want to cast after a successfull dizzying swing. I dont think the changes will last however, its just a waiting game.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Leap is a gapcloser. It never connects when its slow.

As for cast times it is there to give your enemy time to actually react however I do agree it does not feel smooth.

For the time being I think of this as a neccessary sacrifice. Counterplay and reactive defense has been neglected for far too long but in a game where literally EVERY animation can be completely cancelled you have to have sacrifices on smooth gameplay to have the option of counterplay.

The key here is keeping it fair for both sides. I feel like this cast time thing should also be applied to defensive ultimates. Only way to keep it fair.

I always thought defensive ultimates/abilities were way too strong compared to their offensive counterparts , to me this is the real culprit behind the tank meta and I stand by my opinion.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 30, 2019 3:19PM
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As for cast times it is there to give your enemy time to actually react however I do agree it does not feel smooth.

For the time being I think of this as a neccessary sacrifice. Counterplay and reactive defense has been neglected for far too long but in a game where literally EVERY animation can be completely cancelled you have to have sacrifices on smooth gameplay to have the option of counterplay.

The key here is keeping it fair for both sides. I feel like this cast time thing should also be applied to defensive ultimates. Only way to keep it fair.

I dont understand tho, I have no problem with bieng on the recieving end of a dawnbreaker so who are the people complaining about it. It's never even crossed my mind that dawnbreaker or onslaught should be nerfed.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I dont understand tho, I have no problem with bieng on the recieving end of a dawnbreaker so who are the people complaining about it. It's never even crossed my mind that dawnbreaker or onslaught should be nerfed.

Honestly I only complained about incap cause its so stupid to get hit by incap literally mid dodge roll and it happened very often because of lag and whatever other reasons.

I dont mind any of these ultimates on a heavy armor stamina or a magicka light/heavy build, but on medium armor stam classes(exception stamblade cause cloak is still broken) where Im forced to use reactive defense, it does mean guaranteed death to get hit by any of those things. I just wanted a split second to react so I can have a chance to tap block but I didnt expect these consequences.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler posted a Q&A in which he mentions some ultimates are "just too powerful" so he thought a cast time would be good. It's not something anyone asked for. It's not something anyone wanted. But daddy wanted a change, so daddy gave us a change. Here's to hoping this **** gets removed.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to the opinion of most in this thread I actually don't mind the change much. Those skills indeed left little to no counterplay to the extent that pretty much over half the population of stam users were running dawnbreaker. While some argue like Kristofer that this "lowers the skill cap" it only lowers the mechanical skill cap required to animation cancel. On the other hand, it greatly introduces variety into the game as people stop relying on a guild skill to the extent that magicka classes even ran dawnbreaker just cause it was so powerful. It also opens up a lot of choice in your plays that did not solely focus on insta-bursting down your opponent with a quick cancel that really shouldn't give that much of a burst advantage.

On my stam classes I did drop some builds running dawnbreaker here and there but so what. The people complaining that others should L2P here and those that complain about ultimates getting cast times are the real people that need to L2P because you're the ones that refuse to adapt to the new balance fix of a clearly overpowered skill.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lacerate op confirmed. Totally needed that nerf!
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzy swing + onslaught will probably be the stam meta for a while, it works good. Had to change DBoS to flawless because it seems unreliable so when it does miss at least I get 300 WD from it. They really need to fix the hit reg on that ult.