The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

noob skills question

dogeddie
dogeddie
I have a stamplar. I am no power gamer, but am interested in a stable character just for single player farting around in the evenings after work once in a while. I have been raising and using skills related to stamina only, except one for healing. Is that correct, or should i also be using magic related skills as well? Not sure just how literally to take the whole stamina based character idea. I can pretty much guarantee your suggestions will not insult my intelligence as although i am a longtime gamer, i am new to MMOs and building a strict character such as this. Thanks for any help on moving forward.

I use a sword and shield and a bow fwiw.
Edited by dogeddie on August 30, 2019 3:47AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Damage, you focus on one Attribute or the Other. Unfortunately this nerfs healing if your attribute of choice is Stamina. Vigor is about the only good stamina heal. I think, as I have yet to get that on any of my characters.

Puncturing Sweep, at least in its Magic morph is all I ever needed to keep my Magplar alive. Perhaps it could work on a Stamplar.

Or, stop fighting the tide, and make your Templar magic based and then self heals become easy.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• mierin
    mierin
    Soul Shriven
    Hahaha insult your intelligence when all you are thinking about in the evening is go and have some fun solo-farting around? :D

TO answer: Maybe use Undaunted Well for Lifeleech + Dual Wield skill with Life Recovery (forgot the name). Also your Magicka should still be enough to use the occasional heal although it won't be as potent as with a Mag char, of course.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dogeddie wrote: »
    I have a stamplar. I am no power gamer, but am interested in a stable character just for single player farting around in the evenings after work once in a while. I have been raising and using skills related to stamina only, except one for healing. Is that correct, or should i also be using magic related skills as well? Not sure just how literally to take the whole stamina based character idea. I can pretty much guarantee your suggestions will not insult my intelligence as although i am a longtime gamer, i am new to MMOs and building a strict character such as this. Thanks for any help on moving forward.

I use a sword and shield and a bow fwiw.

Whatever works for you. When fighting an overland boss i d use Rune Focus. But wiht heavy armor there is Unstoppable as replacement. As long as you just do overland, delves and public dungeons you can build the way you like.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to PVP for Vigor, you might swap to Dual Wield instead of One Hand and Shield. Two of the DW morphs will give you a self-heal, and DW is the better weapon set if you want to do more damage.

Unfortunately, one hand and shield is largely defensive and thus more suited to tanking, while overland content gets easier when you do more damage. Though if you don't swap and do group content, only use Puncture if you are the tank, since that skill is a taunt.
  • dogeddie
    dogeddie
    OK - I guess sword and shield isn't feasible long term which sucks. You've told me Dual Wield will work well. How does 1 Handed work for me instead - or how does it rate vs Dual wield? I'd still plan to use a bow as a second weapon. Thanks
  • dogeddie
    dogeddie
    Excuse me - 2 handed
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK - I guess sword and shield isn't feasible long term which sucks. You've told me Dual Wield will work well. How does 1 Handed work for me instead - or how does it rate vs Dual wield? I'd still plan to use a bow as a second weapon. Thanks

Bow is an excellent choice for 2nd weapon.

2-handed and Dual Wield will both work, but they each have different strengths.

Dual Wield has better self-healing options and better damage over time skills, which are pretty strong this patch. If you are looking to eventually do PVE group content, DW is the most common choice.

2-handed has better skills for mobility and burst damage. Therefore its very well suited to PVP, if that's something you are interested in doing. Its a less common choice in PVE group content, but certainly doable with practice.

If all you want to do is quest, both will work just fine! I recommended Dual Wield primarily because it has better self healing options if you don't want to use a magicka heal or PVP to get Vigor.
  • dogeddie
    dogeddie
    Thanks! I really wanted sword and board as I feel it jives with the whole paladin feel I was looking for, but a 2 handed sword is certainly a paladin type skill as well.
  • dogeddie
    dogeddie
    Also, I mean can't you just use a healing skill? I mean it may not be super powerful, but Templars have a ton of heal options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I mean can't you just use a healing skill? I mean it may not be super powerful, but Templars have a ton of heal options

Sure, you can! I'm not familiar with what stamina options you have to heal as a Stamplar though.

You can use your magicka heals as well, but be prepared that those skills will always be weaker as long as you are building into stamina.

That's because your damage and your healing scale with either stamina OR magicka. Most magicka costing skills get more powerful the more magicka you have. Most stamina costing skills get more powerful the more stamina you have. Especially if you are using a Bow and 2-handed, you will want more stamina because it means you do more damage.

So with that in mind, a healing skill that costs stamina like Vigor or Dual Wield's Bloodthirst will get stronger in tandem with your damage and weapon skills as you gain more stamina and weapon damage. In contrast, your magicka-costing healing skills will scale from your smaller magicka pool and spell damage, so they will be less powerful.

Now, you may find that even "less powerful", yoir magicka-based heals are sufficient for the content you want to run, but they will always be less efficient than a stamina-based healing skill of which there are very few available. This is, incidentally, why the vast majority of healers are magicka-based.
  • dogeddie
    dogeddie
    Thanks alot!
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another option is the Ring of Preservation morph in the Fighter's Guild line. It's a stamina HoT, and reduces the damage you take. But it's stationary.

And the templar skill morph Repentance. It's free to cast and returns health and stamina. BUT... you gotta have corpses for it to work.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I really wanted sword and board as I feel it jives with the whole paladin feel I was looking for, but a 2 handed sword is certainly a paladin type skill as well.

Don't worry too much about it. With a decent build, you can use any weapon and still deal reasonably good damage.

On my magicka Templar, recently I've been levelling the 2-handed skill line... just by equipping a 2-handed weapon and fighting with it. On a magicka character, who has pitifully low weapon damage and weapon critical.
    I'm using Mother's Sorrow + Julianos + Assassin's (2 pieces) sets.

I just drop Shards and spam Sweeps. Good enough for overland mobs, they melt like butter. Even the "bosses".
    This has the added benefit of being a 1-bar build.
    Use Rune for some extra sustain, and then you have 2 "spare" skill slots where you can put anything you want.

With a stamina build, I'd use Vigor for the selfheal and Jabs as the spammable.

Or you can make a hybrid build - they are a lot of fun to play, but are less powerful than a true magicka or stamina build. However, for overland content you'll do just fine either way.
  • dogeddie
    dogeddie
    Thanks for all the advice!