The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Destructive Clench?

Starlock
Starlock
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
With the latest patch, the morphs for the Destruction Staff skill "Destructive Touch" have been changed significantly.

One morph, "Destructive Reach" retains the damage-over-time component we are most familiar with.

The other, "Destructive Clench" removes all damage-over-time to provide utility. However, this utility is only present on the fire staff (which as a knockback/stun) and the ice staff (which has a root), not the lightning staff. Before this patch, the lightning staff used to stun the target which was very useful. Now the lightning staff only provides area effect damage. In essence, "Destructive Clench" for the lightning staff is a patently inferior version of another skill we can get from the Destruction Staff skill line - the "Elemental Ring" morph of Impulse.

I was kind of floored when I realized this yesterday. Who in their right mind would ever take Destructive Clench on a lightning staff when Elemental Ring exists? Why did Zenimax remove the actual utility (the stun) from this skill? Am I missing something here?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A simple search in the forums could have retrieved the info you were looking for ... instead of starting a new rant thread on a topic already heavily discussed during PTS and PC Live.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, another one of these threads.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    With the latest patch, the morphs for the Destruction Staff skill "Destructive Touch" have been changed significantly.

One morph, "Destructive Reach" retains the damage-over-time component we are most familiar with.

The other, "Destructive Clench" removes all damage-over-time to provide utility. However, this utility is only present on the fire staff (which as a knockback/stun) and the ice staff (which has a root), not the lightning staff. Before this patch, the lightning staff used to stun the target which was very useful. Now the lightning staff only provides area effect damage. In essence, "Destructive Clench" for the lightning staff is a patently inferior version of another skill we can get from the Destruction Staff skill line - the "Elemental Ring" morph of Impulse.

I was kind of floored when I realized this yesterday. Who in their right mind would ever take Destructive Clench on a lightning staff when Elemental Ring exists? Why did Zenimax remove the actual utility (the stun) from this skill? Am I missing something here?

because sorceres used it in pvp lol!!!!! that's all you need to know!
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A simple search in the forums could have retrieved the info you were looking for ... instead of starting a new rant thread on a topic already heavily discussed during PTS and PC Live.

Thank you for your utterly unconstructive comment that utterly wasted your own time.
    Lol, another one of these threads.

LOL another person wasting their time with unconstructive responses. Your time to waste, I guess.

Edited by Starlock on August 28, 2019 9:54PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozazz wrote: »

It certainly wouldn’t surprise me, but it seems at odds with the spirit of the change they wished to make. The other two staves still have a utility/cc effect. Wouldn’t it have been more consistent to keep that same utility on lightning staves?
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Long story short ZOS definitely *** up this one. How many clench/reach are you seeing this patch?.... exactly.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your utterly unconstructive comment that utterly wasted your own time.

How about you wasting everyone’s time with a duplicate thread rant. Void of constructive comments nor any indication that the patch notes were read.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 29, 2019 12:03AM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! A certain user is henceforth ignorelisted for their inability to post productive content and choosing to be a jerk to people who are asking legitimate questions and want legitimate conversation about a topic. Hopefully this is simply because they are having a bad day and they are usually a very helpful person.
    Edited by Starlock on August 29, 2019 12:22AM
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patch just dropped for consoles guys, you gotta expect a bit of duplication. Be excellent to one another.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BahometZ wrote: »
    Patch just dropped for consoles guys, you gotta expect a bit of duplication. Be excellent to one another.

Thank you for understanding. <3

I do follow the forums, but I certainly can't catch every thread and I didn't see one about this on the first page. I also don't follow PTS that much since I can't participate in it. :(

I'll have to see what else I can dig up.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ozazz wrote: »

It certainly wouldn’t surprise me, but it seems at odds with the spirit of the change they wished to make. The other two staves still have a utility/cc effect. Wouldn’t it have been more consistent to keep that same utility on lightning staves?

zos contradicts them self with every patch, story of the game.
    for example-
    dk's wings were too op because they completely hard countered classes and there was near no counter play so they nerf they ability because of this.

what does zos do this patch, buff eclipse so there is no counter play and it hard counters as well!

also the sloads meta previously in the game, they completely brought back in a new version of magik dots which in my opinion is worse!
    so all these things that are added to the game not only ruins the game but then they continue to persecute solo play in cyrodiil making it near impossible.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    like is said clench was bis for sorcerer in pvp. in the history of this game anything that is bis for the sorcerer class will get gutted or nerfed it's how it goes!
    also clench didn't even near over perform for the class. so to falsely perpetuate that is just class bias!
    and going forth I predict the streak cc to get nerfed since this is the only cc a sorcerer has these days.
    weve been through 3 cc's in the past 2 years now.
    im over the headache