Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Dungeons] Solo Mode please

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Because no one wants to wait for you to absorb all the lore by talking to people and stopping to fully read a book.

For most dungeons an easy way would be to give a Solo difficulty mode that gives you a buff to change the damage you give, change the damage you take, change all gear drops to white.
Wouldn't fix team-mandatory mechanics, but it would make a solo mode for most dungeons.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well if you have enough DPS, most of the base game group dungeons can be easily solo’d in Normal mode. Just slot a self heal and off you go. The DLC dungeons might be a different story especially with more involved mechanics but I’m sure a few can be solo’d in Normal, but to be honest I haven’t tried that yet :)
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    Well if you have enough DPS, most of the base game group dungeons can be easily solo’d in Normal mode.

It's really tedious though. Combined with wanting to talk to NPCs and read books that may expand the context of what happening (and it's often tricky looking for what you read later on, assuming you have Eidetic Memory unlocked) -- one dungeon would take all day of your gaming time, if you even had enough time to do it in one sitting (or it'd reset).

I'm aiming for something more along the lines of a quick delve-length run.
    Not everyone has the same amount of play time and certainly it's better not wasted paging through your journal for the books you came across.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 7, 2019 7:44AM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    Well if you have enough DPS, most of the base game group dungeons can be easily solo’d in Normal mode.

It's really tedious though. Combined with wanting to talk to NPCs and read books that may expand the context of what happening (and it's often tricky looking for what you read later on, assuming you have Eidetic Memory unlocked) -- one dungeon would take all day of your gaming time, if you even had enough time to do it in one sitting (or it'd reset).

I'm aiming for something more along the lines of a quick delve-length run.
    Not everyone has the same amount of play time and certainly it's better not wasted paging through your journal for the books you came across.

as stated most the base game dungeons can be solo'd (even on vet) and most in normal can be completed in less than 15mins 10 for the shorter ones
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    as stated most the base game dungeons can be solo'd (even on vet) and most in normal can be completed in less than 15mins 10 for the shorter ones

Being able to experience the story shouldn't be limited to end-game characters. Right now it's the other players not wanting to wait for players that ruins the experience. Given that groups are ruining the story experience, solo mode needs to be implemented, which is pretty much the standard for the game everywhere else.

And the dungeons can't all be solo'ed. Even the base game dungeons have some which require more than one person for either "puzzle" mechanics or fight mechanics.
    Furthermore there's DLC dungeons.

It is especially important now that they are introducing STORY-focussed DLC dungeon sequences. I'd like to see the STORY available for everyone who qualifies to enter the dungeon. Rather than the experience of chasing a group around or getting the story phase pushed ahead and causing you to miss it, because you read a book or were trying to listen to dialog.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 7, 2019 7:51AM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

Being able to experience the story shouldn't be limited to end-game characters. Right now it's the other players not wanting to wait for players that ruins the experience. Given that groups are ruining the story experience, solo mode needs to be implemented, which is pretty much the standard for the game everywhere else.

And the dungeons can't all be solo'ed. Even the base game dungeons have some which require more than one person for either "puzzle" mechanics or fight mechanics.
    Furthermore there's DLC dungeons.

They are introducing STORY-focussed DLC dungeons. I'd like to see the STORY available for everyone who qualifies to enter the dungeon. Rather than the experience of chasing a group around or getting the story phase pushed ahead and causing you to miss it, because you read a book or were trying to listen to dialog.

Ah my bad i misread the intention of this post, in that case i would recommend grouping friends or join a guild with other like minded ppl to do things, random dungeon group tend to just want the XP and go
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ah my bad i misread the intention of this post, in that case i would recommend grouping friends or join a guild with other like minded ppl to do things, random dungeon group tend to just want the XP and go

That would work if there were actually guilds like that. I'd say you're more likely to spend months joining and dumping guilds before finding one. (Guild memberships are further complicated by most people wanting to be in a guild who can hold a kiosk).
    I've seen guildies advertise random normals and willing to CARRY, and they can't get 2 people of any level any role.
    I've seen normal trials looking for DPS and no one in the raid can find 2 dps in their guilds.

The fact is people are generally busy with their own thing. To ask for help in a dungeon AND tell them to wait around while you do your thing -- realistically the probability of success is next to nil. Even if it were a pledge, it's really hard to expect someone to commit their time to it sticking around. TIME is a very precious commodity.
    And if they push ahead in the dungeon, they might push the quest phase forward, which means you miss something, and you have to basically Abandon the dungeon quest and reset the phase and start all over again. Because you can only do the quest once so you really don't want to screw it up.
    And we aren't even talking about the scenes you can discover AFTER you turn in the dungeon quest and backtrack to look around, such as in Crypt of Hearts.

Maybe you personally may have the patience and generosity to give up your time to help someone wanting to experience the story, but I really doubt a lot of people would. And at least 1 person needs to stay in group because once you're in a group, the instance will kick out anyone no longer in a group.

A true solo mode is the safest way to go.
    Unfortunately there are too many DLC difficulty dungeons as well as dungeons with boss mechanics or puzzle mechanics that require at least 1 other person. No matter how uber you are, you can't stand on two pressure plates at the same time, for example.
    A basic solution would be to have a nerfed mode. That would take care of a lot of dungeons without people having to be at or near end-game geared. But the dungeons still have to be checked for non-soloable mechanics.
  • Schemering
    Schemering
    ✭✭✭
    almost all group dungeons are very doable solo in normal and about half of them are also doable in veteran solo. But i dont think its a bad idea in general
    PC/EU AD 1500+ PC/NA 300+

Schemering - Breton magicka Nightblade
    Ambergloed - Argonian Templar Healer
    Fonkeling - Argonian Dragonknight Tank
    Twinkeling - Dunmer magicka Nightblade
    Sprankeling- Altmer magicka Nightblade
    Schittering - Redguard stamina Nightblade
    Glinstering - Khajiit stamina Sorcerer
    Spiegeling - Altmer magicka Necromancer
    Flonkering - Orc stamina Necromancer
    Glimmering - Argonian Necromancer
    Duisternis - Dunmer magicka Dragonknight
    Maanlicht - Altmer magicka Templar
    Weerlicht - Altmer magicka Sorcerer
    Zonnestraal - Redguard stamina Warden EP char
    Slagschaduw - Dunmer magicka Warden - Healer or Damage Dealer
    Ochtendgloren - Imperial stamina Templar
    Avondval - Redguard stamina Dragonknight
    Aurora Noorderlicht - Breton magicka Nightblade DC char
    Dageraad - Breton magicka Sorcerer

Wisseling - Breton magicka Nightblade NA
    Zonsverduistering - Breton Templar NA Healer
    Tinteling - Argonian Dragonknight NA Tank
  • Keileon
    Keileon
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I like this idea. My friend and I were doing a few queues last night and just chatting about how dungeons should have a "story" mode so players can take it at their own pace-- maybe limit the gear drops and chests, or just make all gear drops white. It certainly would lessen the frustration of having a CP600 on a daily normal run ahead and prevent the level 15 from doing the quest.
    PC NA | @ KudaKeileon | ESO+ | CP 600+
    Ilus-Lei Xerseus - L50 | Argonian Male | Stamina Nightblade (DPS) | Werewolf | Crafter | Pathological murderer || Caligan Casareeth - L50 | Argonian Male | Magicka Sorcerer (Healer) | Vampire | Worships Daedra
    Team Space Bat - L50 | Khajiit Male | Stamina Nightblade (DPS) | Werewolf | "Khajiit is trying." || Dances-Like-Stripper - L50 | Argonian Male | Balanced Warden (Tank) | Literally just does not care
    Heals-You-Idiots - L50 | Argonian Male | Magicka Nightblade (Healer) | Jerk || Pleb Imperial - Sub-50 | Imperial Female | Balanced Dragonknight (Tank) | Probably blackmailed and/or kidnapped
    Arynea Skycrowne - L50 | Bosmer Female | Stamina Sorcerer (DPS) | Way too happy for her own good || Careodry - Sub-50 | Argonian Male | Magicka Sorcerer (DPS) | OC insert
    Sylliriht - Sub-50 | Dunmer Female | Magicka Warden (DPS) | Vampire | Actually a Maormer || Marks-The-Grave - Sub-50 | Argonian Male | Magicka Necromancer (DPS? Healer? ???) | An actual zombie
    Swallows-Own-Tail - Sub-50 | Argonian Female | Magicka Templar (Healer) | Ouroboros || Orcish Obesity - Sub-50 | Orc Male | Necromancer | Meme

hi so I actually love crown crates

GIVE LILMOTHIIT RACE
  • DrowElfMorwen
    DrowElfMorwen
    ✭✭
    I agree 100% with what the OC and others are saying here. It's frustrating and sucky to miss a story because of the nature of dungeons (and trials).

There is a (sort of) solution though. Make or join a guild that is specifically made for experiencing the story lines of dungeons and trials together. I joined a Khajiit group where members *will* wait for you to experience the story.
    Unfortunately many people use special items in trials like XP bonus stuff and strong/rare stat boosters, but I would specify in such a guild that it's not advised unless needed or you don't care about the [admittedly small] possibility of the item timer running out while running the trial or dungeon.

I have been thinking about creating such a guild myself.... where it puts storyline and immersion over anything else.
    3d Artist: https://deviantart.com/drowelfmorwen
    Wheel of Time Fan :: James Cameron's Avatar Fan
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about creating such a guild myself.... where it puts storyline and immersion over anything else.

I managed to find a guild that claims to do this sort of "story run" but hardly anyone responds when I look for a group.
    When someone's already done the story there's very little incentive for them to spend their time doing it again waiting for others -- on top of not having a lot of people on at all.
    Schemering wrote: »
    almost all group dungeons are very doable solo in normal and about half of them are also doable in veteran solo. But i dont think its a bad idea in general

Solo-able and THEORETICALLY solo-able are not the same thing.
    Go try Banished cells 2 solo. Clannfear mob boss and final boss spawning daedroth every 45 seconds is stupid tedious even if you could eventually kill the boss.
    And I've seen a lot of gear-cap toons who can't clear a basic world boss or Wayrest Sewers mob.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 27, 2019 3:42AM