The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Noob Qustion - crafting sets

HollyQ502
I have not done much crafting and I'm very new to master writs - just got my second one. It's to make arm cops and the set is Magnus' Gift. I'm in Arananga and the clothing station says Magnus' Gift on it. I have 8 traits researched on arm cops but when I make them, they're just regular arm cops, not Magnus' Gift. I didn't notice that before I improved them to epic and now I've wasted my dreugh wax. Why didn't they come out as Magnus' Gift?
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are two categories in the crafting station - one for crafting set items one for normal items. I'm not home to look ingame and explain it better but check out the crafting stations and you'll see two categories you can choose.

I've done that myself.
  • UndeniablyAVG
    UndeniablyAVG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am on playstation so I'm not sure how the UI works, there is normally 4 crafting options that we cycle through using L1/R1.

Weapons
    Armor
    Set Weapons
    Set Armor

I would imagine that you have just armor selected rather than Set Armor. It should show you what you are about to craft on the right hand side though, if it has no set bonuses you are doing something wrong.
    PS4 EU - Daggerfall Covenant
    PSN - N_O_B_L_E-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqUlYStV91gCyNgVjSjapbw
  •  HollyQ502
    OMG. I'm on PS4 too and I never noticed that I had to scroll to get the set apparel/weapons. SMH. Thank you.
  •  HollyQ502
    One more question - I'm 99.9% sure I made the right item - quality, set, trait, style - and I have the quest hint to travel to Elden Root to meet my contact only the progress says 0/1 and he won't talk to me. Am I missing something else obvious?

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would indicate that it's not the correct item :/
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on PC? Writ Worthy is a great addon for this.

Anyway, if the quest tracker also says to make the item, you still have not made it. I think it grays out as you complete the item. It is easy to pick the wrong motif, so that would be the first place I would double check.

Also, unlike regular writs, only that alt that accepts the Writ can make the item for turn in. So, make sure only your knowledgeable crafter accepts the Writ. You can use the bank to move them around.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HollyQ502 wrote: »
    One more question - I'm 99.9% sure I made the right item - quality, set, trait, style - and I have the quest hint to travel to Elden Root to meet my contact only the progress says 0/1 and he won't talk to me. Am I missing something else obvious?

Did you make it 160cp? It only takes 150cp items.
    Edited by Runs on August 23, 2019 2:21PM
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  •  HollyQ502
    Geez. I made what it asked for, but I improved it to epic instead of leaving it at legendary like it asked. SMH again. All that dreugh wax, gone. Sigh. Thanks for your help.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez. I made what it asked for, but I improved it to epic instead of leaving it at legendary like it asked. SMH again. All that dreugh wax, gone. Sigh. Thanks for your help.

I had to learn the hard way on the CP150/CP160 as the writs don't mention this requirement. When I make mistakes I make sure to deconstruct the wrong piece which usually lets me recover some of the tempers used. While it isn't all it is better than nothing.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only good thing that comes out of this is...you’ll never make that mistake again, trust me ;)
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until you make something you need to research more than you thought. I had a spot in my quest log tied up for a month or two because of that.

This needs to be overhauled a bit to be easier on the PS4 (and probably XBOX). Anything that has a "required" addon for the PC should be in the game, not in an addon!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait until you make something you need to research more than you thought. I had a spot in my quest log tied up for a month or two because of that.

This needs to be overhauled a bit to be easier on the PS4 (and probably XBOX). Anything that has a "required" addon for the PC should be in the game, not in an addon!

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread how ridiculous it is that I cannot see the crafting requirements onscreen while at the crafting station and have to write the details down on paper.

After once opening a master writ and realizing that it was a 9-trait set and I did not have enough research to do it, I now set up all the options on the crafting table first before opening the writ, to assure that I have met the requirements already.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like a misunderstanding of improvement levels.

Epic = Purple

Legendary = Gold
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread how ridiculous it is that I cannot see the crafting requirements onscreen while at the crafting station and have to write the details down on paper.

After once opening a master writ and realizing that it was a 9-trait set and I did not have enough research to do it, I now set up all the options on the crafting table first before opening the writ, to assure that I have met the requirements already.

I do that now, but I still make mistakes. The system really needs to be adjusted to remove this risk, especially on consoles.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even go to the style crafting stations. I look in the Lore Library under the Journal to see if I know the style. I then go to the eso-sets.com website to lookup the traits required. I then go to any old crafting station to see if I have learned enough and have the needed traits under the research tab.

Edit:
    By the way I do agree the writ itself should tell you if you meet the requirements. I just wanted to throw out a way to determine if you can complete the writ without having to attempt a dry run at the style crafting station and should work across all platforms.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on August 28, 2019 8:36PM
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've wasted so much high quality material through not quite understanding exactly what it was asking for. I double-, triple- and quadruple-check every aspect now. It's getting easier but it's probably still the most stressful part of the game for me. As @katanagirl1 says, line it all up at the crafting station before accepting the writ to make sure a) you can do it and b) you totally get what it's asking for.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would also help if you could see the writ requirements on the screen along with the selections you have made at the crafting station at the same time. Then you could compare directly and make sure everything is correct.

I know you long-time crafters have your methods of dealing with this tremendous oversight, but it would be immensely helpful to new players. It would also help those of us who aren’t new but would like to reduce eye strain.

This game has an arrow pointing me to everyone I need to interact with in the game, but makes me write down details for crafting on sheets of paper and hold them up next to the TV when doing master writs.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭

I've done that too. I even put in a ticket and then had to go back and tell them it was an operator error, lol.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am on playstation so I'm not sure how the UI works, there is normally 4 crafting options that we cycle through using L1/R1.

Weapons
    Armor
    Set Weapons
    Set Armor

I would imagine that you have just armor selected rather than Set Armor. It should show you what you are about to craft on the right hand side though, if it has no set bonuses you are doing something wrong.

Was this not changed on PS4? On XB, they fixed it so that set weapons/armor is first, with plain weapons/armor second. I only have to deal with the first two tabs at set stations now, and I've done a ton of gear MWs in the last few weeks.

As for anything that would make master writs easier - I'm all for it. Even for alchemy writs, since you have to scroll through all the ingredients to find the traits you're looking for. Either you write it all down, or you chant it constantly in your head. Even after I've gotten everything set, I still back out and look at the writ again to be sure it's correct - I do the chanting method since I'm too lazy to write things down.

Also, it would be great if they could include text on the writ to indicate whether you can complete it or not. Like the indicator for whether you know a certain motif or recipe. I'm sure that would be harder to code, since it would have to check both trait and motif knowledge for a specific piece, but I would think it could be done.