The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gearing advice for a fresh CP 160

acbaracuda
Hi!

For starters, I'm playing a Magicka Sorcerer on PC, Europe, AD in case anyone wonders. Now to the question itself. I dinged CP 160 yesterday and now I'm a bit unsure about what to do regarding gear. This is my first character so I want to experience the story in chronological order. Until now, I have finished the alliance zones and the Planemeld and I just started The Daedric Wars with Orsinium. Why does this matter? Well, I don't plan to run actual endgame content soon, so I don't know what to do with gear.

I'm following Alcast's CP 160 build atm and I'm looking to go to his Solo Sorc build after (I'm not into theorycrafting and making builds so I'm taking the easy route :)) ). Following what is told there, today, I bought 3 Julianos purple pieces (chest, pants and belt) and 2 spinner pieces (shoulders and head). Considering that I'm going to do only questing for quite a bit of time, should I continue this path and buy 2 Julianos staves and Willpower jewelery as told by the CP 160 build, buy/farm the gear for the Solo Sorc build or just don't bother 'till I finish The Daedric Wars and Elsweyr and then decide based on how much CP I'll have then?

Thanks in advance!
  • PoseidonEvil
    PoseidonEvil
    ✭✭✭
    Follow the path my friend!
    In-game ID: alchelvly
    Phixeon Maghi -- Breton Healer
    Harrow the Souleater -- Breton Necro Healer
    Krogyle dro-Smoketh -- Orc Stamdk
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Piece Julianos and just about anything else is all you need for story game content.

I ran 5 Julianos Armor, 3 Willpower Jewelry, and filled out the rest with anything else. Usually is was some dropped set that gave a spell power boost for 2 pieces, or some monster set or what ever.

Hint, join a guild, provide some mats and they will make the staves for you.
    Edited by Nestor on August 22, 2019 5:48PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Nestor says, Julianosx5 is a good base for almost any magicka dps. A big advantage of running a crafted set is that it gives you the flexibility to make what you need to support open slots or armor weight requirement if you want to run something like 5/1/1 using the Undaunted Mettle passive.

From there on a sorc it depends what you want to do. If you run summons, then Necromancer is a good set. If you don't, then Mothers Sorrow is a good set - particularly for a sorc who should be healing on crits. You mentioned solo, so Spinners is also a good set since you will need to provide all your own penetration.

Leave head and shoulders open so you can use a monster set. Slimecraw is a good and easy to find set for any dps - particularly if you are not running with a healer who keeps you covered with Combat Prayer all the time (which means Slimecraw is good for almost all dps, lol).
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on August 22, 2019 6:22PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • acbaracuda
    Thanks for your answers. I think that I'll continue with the julianos path that I started. And, yea, it's probably the right time to search for a guild, so I'll do that too.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acbaracuda wrote: »
    Hi!

For starters, I'm playing a Magicka Sorcerer on PC, Europe, AD in case anyone wonders. Now to the question itself. I dinged CP 160 yesterday and now I'm a bit unsure about what to do regarding gear. This is my first character so I want to experience the story in chronological order. Until now, I have finished the alliance zones and the Planemeld and I just started The Daedric Wars with Orsinium. Why does this matter? Well, I don't plan to run actual endgame content soon, so I don't know what to do with gear.

I'm following Alcast's CP 160 build atm and I'm looking to go to his Solo Sorc build after (I'm not into theorycrafting and making builds so I'm taking the easy route :)) ). Following what is told there, today, I bought 3 Julianos purple pieces (chest, pants and belt) and 2 spinner pieces (shoulders and head). Considering that I'm going to do only questing for quite a bit of time, should I continue this path and buy 2 Julianos staves and Willpower jewelery as told by the CP 160 build, buy/farm the gear for the Solo Sorc build or just don't bother 'till I finish The Daedric Wars and Elsweyr and then decide based on how much CP I'll have then?

Thanks in advance!

- 5 light Julianos.

- Staffs of Willpower from a guild shop. They drop like candy and are usually cheap.

- Orsinum drops "Mark of Pariah". Get two pieces for the body and the jewels. Thats a very solid quester build.
    - Instead of Pariah you can get 2 more light and the Jewels from Fortified Brass. Also solid with more return from light armor passives and you can decide if you want HP or magicka on the jewels.

This build will do all quests, public dungeons and also beat the one or other overland boss. Depeding on you and your skills also beats the easy dungeons.