Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to magsorcs: battleground build and tips [help]

Rhaegar75
Rhaegar75
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, I’ve been playing mostly Templar’s and DKs and only now I’m approaching

I’m struggling to find a good balance for a non pet build. I copied the build I use on my magplar (crafty and bright throat) but it’s not going well at all in no cp!

What do you guys use? Thanks for any suggestions or tips
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BGs is big on stamina and resource management on a sorc. Bright throat is a solid base set. I would drop crafty in BGs though and run Shacklebreaker. The added stamina is incredibly useful. Pair this with 2 Chudan or 2 Bloodspawn for defense. Chudan is great for your sustain because it eliminates the need to cast an armor buff skill on cooldown. Bloodspawn gets you ultimate quicker and provides more resistances and stacks with your class armor buff as well.

If you still want to go more defense, the Armor Master back bar, Willpower staff front bar, and Bright Throat body is still a solid setup.

Without dropping an entire skill bar setup, I find it always useful to slot a shield on both bars. Given how laggy things are, being able to hit the same bar slot key on both bars to cast a shield is incredibly useful. Plus, it provides a defensive option on your offensive bar, that can be the difference between bar swapping to go on defense or cast a shield and continuing pressure to finish an opponent.
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out @Alcast website for builds and also slot overpower ultimate ( it's does 30k dmg, currently)
    https://alcasthq.com/
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stack shields, spam execute, profit...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I literally just gave up trying to mag sorc. I was hoping it’d be easier.
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »

Really?
    You only need four abilities: Crystal fragments, endless fury, ward, streak
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

same here: I'm either too squishy or not doing enough damage...maybe I'm just not used to playing one.

@jaws343 good suggestions but can't seem to reach Alcast Health's numbers?!?!?
    Loved your idea of adding a shield per bar!!!!!
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on August 22, 2019 9:58AM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What gear would you use if not Bright Throat and Crafty?
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    BGs is big on stamina and resource management on a sorc. Bright throat is a solid base set. I would drop crafty in BGs though and run Shacklebreaker. The added stamina is incredibly useful.
    While Shacklebreaker is certainly nice for the extra Stamina, he should be fine with Bright-Throat's Boast + Spring-Loaded Infusion, and perhaps a couple tri-stat enchants.
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

same here: I'm either too squishy or not doing enough damage...maybe I'm just not used to playing one.
    Basically everyone is squishy right now. It's not my preferred playstyle - I'm playing an MMO and not Call of Duty, after all - but that's basically the "meta" for BGs currently: explode people before they explode you, and rely on your mobility and healing (and hopefully good ping) for survivability. I've seen some Mag Sorcs do well in BGs this patch, but you basically have to play glass cannon style and be really twitchy with your mobility.
    I think those sets with Spring-Loaded Infusion would probably be fine. Your max magicka will only be slightly behind Bright-Throat's Boast + Necropotence with a pet, which is what I'm using on Magicka Necromancer. Shields aren't what they used to be, so I guess the value of running high max magicka isn't as good as it was before, but it's not like your setup is "garbage" or anything.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag sorc got shafted this patch. You missed the bus bro.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    BGs is big on stamina and resource management on a sorc. Bright throat is a solid base set. I would drop crafty in BGs though and run Shacklebreaker. The added stamina is incredibly useful.
    While Shacklebreaker is certainly nice for the extra Stamina, he should be fine with Bright-Throat's Boast + Spring-Loaded Infusion, and perhaps a couple tri-stat enchants.

Basically everyone is squishy right now. It's not my preferred playstyle - I'm playing an MMO and not Call of Duty, after all - but that's basically the "meta" for BGs currently: explode people before they explode you, and rely on your mobility and healing (and hopefully good ping) for survivability. I've seen some Mag Sorcs do well in BGs this patch, but you basically have to play glass cannon style and be really twitchy with your mobility.
    I think those sets with Spring-Loaded Infusion would probably be fine. Your max magicka will only be slightly behind Bright-Throat's Boast + Necropotence with a pet, which is what I'm using on Magicka Necromancer. Shields aren't what they used to be, so I guess the value of running high max magicka isn't as good as it was before, but it's not like your setup is "garbage" or anything.

Thank you so much for the reply: very very insightful. Do you think adding more defence may help? At the same time my spell damage and crit rate are already on the low side ☹️ ....is 2k spell damage too low?
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on August 28, 2019 10:53AM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

Thank you so much for the reply: very very insightful. Do you think adding more defence may help? At the same time my spell damage and crit rate are already on the low side ☹️ ....is 2k spell damage too low?
    In my experience so far this patch, I'd say that no, adding more defense probably won't help. I've played around with using Fortified Brass a bit, but honestly couldn't tell much difference at all in my survivability (at least in part because I lost max magicka and some sustain in the process). And that's leaving aside the 150 cost 2h Ults that I've seen reach 9.9k due to ignoring resists.

All of the Sorcerers that I've seen do well lately are hitting really hard, and staying alive primarily through positioning and very good mobility. The Blackrose Prison Restoration Staff is still pretty OP if you ask me, and that probably helps a lot as well, especially when combined with the new Rapid Regeneration (assuming it doesn't go to a teammate when you really need it on yourself).

Edit:
    I'm not sure what most successful Mag Sorcs are running for spell damage numbers right now, but my Magicka Necromancer is a bit over 2.4k with a Nirnhoned Staff and Major Socrery active.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on August 29, 2019 10:06PM
  • Ucarious
    Ucarious
    ✭✭✭
    Imo, 5-1-1 light armor setup on a nord sorc

5 shackle
    5 bright
    Mighty chudan
    Fire/restoration staff

Frontbar: Curse, entropy, crushing, frag, twilight

Alternate frontbar: curse, entropy, crushing, frag, aegis

Backbar: Streak, dark deal, ward, dampen, twilight

Alternate backbar: streak, dark deal, ward, rapid regen, aegis

If you build it right you can clear like almost 10k ward, 20k rapid regen/twilight and like 25k resistances on a defending restoration backbar.

No-CP btw
    Edited by Ucarious on August 30, 2019 1:03PM