Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Night Blade Looking for Help

Fightin_Irish_Johnny
OK I am new to eso pvp as of 2 months. I chose a Night Blade. I did not start battlegrounds until I was lvl 50. OK so I figured it was going to be a bit miserable until I learned the class, spec, play styles, got gear, got champ points etc etc. I found out the system is pretty complex to learn. Probably the biggest learning curve I have ever seen in an MMO.

So I have read guides, watched videos and have played enough to get to veteran rank 2 which I know is really low but trying to give an idea of my length of play. I think it around 250 matches in Battlegrounds. I know it's not much time invested yet but man I feel the failure out there. And I am willing to learn, study, read, put in time.

When I read the posts that Nighblades are way too powerful ! I think man I must really suck...And right now I do. So I have a greater appreciation for those who are really good on a Night Blade. it is definitely not a face roll class to be good on in ESO. So hats off to you bad mo fo's.

My stats are (Magicka 12,400), (Magicka recovery -663), (Health -19,500), (health recovery - 201) (Stamina -28,500) (Stamina recovery- 1158) (Spell Damage - 1556) (Spell Crit 16%) (Dual Weild Weapon damage - 1748)(Wep Crit- 32%) ( Bow Weapon Damage - 1400) (Bow Crit - 37%) (Spell resist - 15,500) (Physical Resist 15,300) (Critical resist - 3500 both bars)

My gear is a set of (Impregnable 5 pc of Epic purple lvl 50 cp 160), (3 pc of cowards purple lvl 50 cp 160) and rest is unmatched lvl 50 cp160 2 blue and 2 purple.

Using skills: Dual wield bar: (shadowy disguise 4)(concealed weapon 4)(whirling blades 4)(ambush 4)(killers blade 4)(ultimate -lacerate 2)
Bow bar: (draining shot 4)(lethal arrow 4)(poison injection 4)(acid spray 4)(Vigor 4)(ultimate - Soul strike)

I am at 176 champ points.( Lover: Moon-calf 39 Arcanist 18) (Ritual: Precise strikes 58 for the 20% crit to stam ability's on bow bar) (The steed: resistant 59 for the crit resist).

I average a contribution in the Battlegrounds around 900 to 1500. There are some that are lower depending on the match. I think flag running.

looking for some feedback kinda. Truthfully considering trying another class because more often than not I just get smashed out there. Prob doing better on me dual wield bar only because I can go in and out of combat with stealth on the run. But struggle on the bow bar because of the cast timers on a couple. Well both bars are a big struggle with low stam recovery too. I am sure my gear sucks and my stats are a mess. But is it really that dependent to last more than 10 seconds. Another feeling I have is almost no damage on other players. I think maybe my weapon damage is really low ?

Anyway if any decent OG player reads this and wants to drop some tips. It would be most appreciated. And apologies to those who have been carrying my arse on the battlefield.

Peace

PS Oh forgot I am using a hp and stam food to add hp and stam total. and have the Serpent for boon. And I am a Vampire using stage 4. I also have some of the gear glyphs for enchants. Kinda a mix of whatever I had. for HP and skill cost reduction for stam ability's
Edited by Fightin_Irish_Johnny on August 18, 2019 10:31AM
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean there are many glaring issues, but the immediate concern is your gear... You need entirely set based gear, not random pieces else your stats are awful... That will already be a huge improvement
    Edited by Blobsky on August 18, 2019 12:41PM
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blobs is right.

Also impregnable isn't that great for no CP. There's less crit there.

Decide your preferred playstyle. Burst, brawler, cloak or heal morph, etc. And pick two 5 piece sets. One for sustain and another for offense, defense or what have you.

Btw, ignore the forum toxicity about the class. They are low on the totem pole, especially for BG's. It's been overnerfed but still doable.
    Edited by Royalthought on August 18, 2019 1:22PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This patch has helped Stamblades because people are squishier, but I’d still say Stamblades are at the very bottom of the totem pole.

One thing you should know, pvp in ESO is endgame. Sub 50 you can do okay, but don’t expect to do well at 50 without knowing your class. You’re far better off doing some pve to learn your class and collect weapon and monster sets first. Most of the best items for pvp are locked behind pve.

You’ll learn a lot doing pve too.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Fightin_Irish_Johnny
    Thank you for the feedback. Another thing I tried was the Alliance War open world pvp. That at least provides some sense of feeling like I am helping. Some of the Veteran players even said I was doing well :D

The gear insight helps me know now that it is critical. I had a veteran player say that the gear was a tiny fraction of succeeding in BG's.

I have been struggling to figure out how to acquire set gear. And that the gold gear is only worth getting on the weapons unless your in the top 10% of competition.

Any advise where these sets of gear are or how to get them. I tried using alliance points but it was all random grab bag that ended up spending 500,000 alliance points and getting not a single usable or matched set gear. I ended up buying the Impregnable 5 piece from a guild trader.

So dungeons are dropping set gear ?

Again than you all for the feedback. Much appreciated.
  • Kungfuumango
    Kungfuumango
    Soul Shriven
    Since you took the time you list all your gear and stats I took the time to genuinely try my best to help.
    Starting with your skills I'd swap concealed weapon for surprise attack or rapid strikes, depending on your build/desired playstyle, surprise attack for more of a direct approach or rapid strikes with vma flurry weapons for a stronger dot set up. Surprise attack route will be fairly easier to gear up for so use that for now and try to open with that out of stealth. Either swap killers blade or whirling blades out as you don't really need two skills that'll essentially do the same thing. I'd recommend keeping whirling blades as it's just easier to use, breaks enemy stealth, and you can use it at opponent health >50% rather than >25%, so I'd swap killer's blade out for Rending slashes. Last thing for your front bar would probably to swap lacerate as it's honestly kind of easy to step out of, can be purged, and dawnbreaker does the same thing but better. Either dawnbreaker or incap strike will do. Back bar's a bit harder for me to advise as I don't really like cheesing with a bow but if you want to be more up close and personal, I'd swap out (1)lethal arrow and either (2)acid spray or draining shot for (1)relentless focus and (2)shuffle or blade cloak. Relentless focus is pretty baller for it's proc so to get the most out of it I'd probably swap it to the front bar and swap shadowy disguise to the back. Soul strike just got a nerf so I'd swap it out for Ballistae and go hands free with the back bar ulti. Last comment relating to skills would be that although shadow image is more costly now it still functions as an amazing escape method for night blades and should be highly considered being swapped for.

Drop your gear sets and pick something up with more max stamina, more stamina recovery, or something with damage buffs relating to your playstyle. I'd recommend hundings and eternal hunt as starting gear as they're both crafted gear and would be relatively cheap and easy to acquire. As for monster sets I'd recommend selenes as you can use it for both pve and pvp while you work your way to bloodspawn as you'll find that night blades are very squishy.

Now it's sad to say that other classes will outshine night blades in pvp with similar builds. I'd probably recommend re-rolling stam sorc or stamplar for reasons I can go in-depth with if your interested. :#
    Edited by Kungfuumango on August 19, 2019 10:24AM
  • Kirky
    Kirky
    ✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/474232/stamblade-pvp-guide-for-elsweyr-patch

Would reccomend having a quick look at this thread and video to get a rough idea on what gear/sets you should be using. I've played stamblade since launch and it's had its ups and downs but overall has stayed a mainplayer in PVP imop.

For gear I reccomend looking for any 5 piece sets that buff youre stamina/stamina recovery/weapon damage/weapon crit. Whis will give you an advantage over your current gear and a good baseline to work from.

For weapons I'd reccomend two handed or dual wield. (All armor and gear purple minimum.)

As for skills refer to the video on the thread I've linked and maybe have a look on Alcast HQ for some beginner Stamblade builds.
    @Kirky_Lad [EU/AD]
  • Fightin_Irish_Johnny
    @ Kungfuumango. Hey I appreciate your insight and thank you for taking the time to help identify what is working out there. Yeah I am pretty surprised to see after just creating a Sorc even at the low level of 8 is putting out some decent damage. Some crits at 5-6 k on such a low level.

Thanks again !
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    This patch has helped Stamblades because people are squishier, but I’d still say Stamblades are at the very bottom of the totem pole.

its kinda funny. ppl searching the forums and reddit and youtube for hours just to pick the right class for pvp. the class with the iwin button that makes them superior to the rest. after reading salt posts of lowskill players they pick a class and realize after spending so much time doing the quests and all. that the class is actually not that great :D and they could have just picked the class they find visually and gameplay wise appealing.
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only choose stamblade if you like the rpg of this class or have the extra talent needed to win fights in pvp. My main is a NB Palatine, and in one way I regret choosing this class, because I lack the required talent, but love the rpg aspect of it, so will always remain loyal to it.

But without talent it's only fun if accepting that it's a prepare-to-die class. Unless you spec it like a tank or healer but then why have NB as your main?

Because of the rpg aspect I play with "ninja" gear, making it a glass canon, but ganking is boring imo, so 95% of the time I fight up front - solo, in a raid or as a pug leader - when taking flags in keeps. So die a lot and get the occasional toxic message the few times I manage to snipe someone between keeps.

Still get gold items after 30 days campaigns (currently nr 24 on the leaderboard in EU non-cp). In short, adjust expectations, play to have fun, appreciate the challenge, enjoy incremental progress, and don't whine (in public) - if deciding to have a stamblade as your main. After all, thieves and assassins have always been losers at the bottom of the hierarchy.

In VMA, I use an alt, a mDK...

PS: since 2014 I have taken 2 very long breaks from ESO, only to return after NB has been the temporary meta, so my review of the class is prb too one-sided.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »

its kinda funny. ppl searching the forums and reddit and youtube for hours just to pick the right class for pvp. the class with the iwin button that makes them superior to the rest. after reading salt posts of lowskill players they pick a class and realize after spending so much time doing the quests and all. that the class is actually not that great :D and they could have just picked the class they find visually and gameplay wise appealing.

I think people usually do choose a class based on the theme or aesthetic. I’ve played multiple games now where rogues weren’t the highest DPS but they’re always the most popular class.

I think stick to the theme of the class. If you want to be tanky - DK, if you want to have strong heals - Templar or Warden, if you want to be a burst class play a NB or Sorc. Balance will ebb and flow but these things ‘should’ always be true.

When I chose my class (magblade) I chose it because of cloak. I like playing rogues in PvE. I usually heal in pvp so once I tried pvp out it was natural to become a magblade healer. PvP wasn’t even on my radar when I started playing ESO.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 22, 2019 2:21PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, it's usually best for NBs to play Domination in BG, not death matches where the "pro" brawlers go to have fun. If an NB, without relatively significant talent, shows up in a death match it's like a tank expecting to quickly run through one of the more difficult thief/heist dailies.

I returned to ESO this summer, and have only now started my first games in BG, with only 7-8 matches, but have won one match, in addition to a few second places, so if the MMR is accurate regarding my talentless gaming it seems like Domination is the thing for my NB, presupposing that the MMR doesn't force me to play above my skill level when the quantity (but not quality) of matches increases.

In other words, it seems like there is room for stamblades in BG too.
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosWotan wrote: »
    Generally speaking, it's usually best for NBs to play Domination in BG, not death matches where the "pro" brawlers go to have fun. If an NB, without relatively significant talent, shows up in a death match it's like a tank expecting to quickly run through one of the more difficult thief/heist dailies.

I returned to ESO this summer, and have only now started my first games in BG, with only 7-8 matches, but have won one match, in addition to a few second places, so if the MMR is accurate regarding my talentless gaming it seems like Domination is the thing for my NB, presupposing that the MMR doesn't force me to play above my skill level when the quantity (but not quality) of matches increases.

Domination?

Out of curiosity, what about the nightblades kit do you feel makes it strong for Domination?
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear or CP means relatively little if you don't have talent or lots of time to practice, because the elite and players above average also got the best gear.

What might help a NB is upgrading your internet, since lag is no good for the timing and precision needed during a burst attack.
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it, Domination is mostly about running/sneaking between flags, quickly capturing them, not fighting endlessly to protect the flag. People who prefer death matches seem to dislike Domination for that reason, but if you kind of enjoy heist runs you may view Domination as a pvp version of a heist daily. Well, at least it appears a bit closer to a speed heist than 10 min of brawling.

A hybrid build, with five pieces more or less suited for running, good stam regen, and a few escape and defense skills are more important in Domination than a pure kill set. As far as I know, atm.

BiS gear changes often in ESO, but any top tier and well-known stam NB medium gear will basically work (with 1 heavy, 1 light to get undaunted passives if you prefer that).
    Edited by ChaosWotan on August 22, 2019 7:18PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Domination?

Out of curiosity, what about the nightblades kit do you feel makes it strong for Domination?

Well people brawl it out on a flag, flip the flag and then leave. While I was learning on my magblade most of my wins were domination so he/she’s right.
    Gear or CP means relatively little if you don't have talent or lots of time to practice, because the elite and players above average also got the best gear.

What might help a NB is upgrading your internet, since lag is no good for the timing and precision needed during a burst attack.

This is only partially true. I’m not particularly skilled, I’m probably in the good player category and that’s it. However I merc players all the time who’re better than me.

My ‘skill’ so to speak is putting in the time theorycrafting a good build so I have an advantage. In that sense knowledge of game mechanics and patience works wonders. If you experiment you can find what works best that no one’s thought of.

I’d start with the ‘meta’ spec and use that as the baseline. Then as you keep pvping try different things, and figure out what other people are doing and think of how to take advantage of it.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have read several posts by brawlers and others who either complain or think it's a bit strange that one can win Domination by not engaging in fights. Personally, I like a good fight, so I attack any enemy standing at a flag, Domination or not, despite the high risk of ending up dead.

If a stamNB burst attacks excellent players who got only around 17-25k health, it's possible to take them down, but even Alcast recommends that stamblades choose their targets carefully and avoid heavy armor builds.

I got several types of BiS gear, all legendary, including crafted gold jewelry. By now I have also spent many hours on theorycrafting, and practiced a lot, but in duels and brawls I simply lack the quick reactions that are necessary if one wants a NB to be the last (wo)man standing in at least 40/50% of fights. Having a wi-fi connection doesn't make it easier. Lag is a problem in BG and Cyro, especially if you are a stamblade, though other classes struggle with this too, ofc.
    Edited by ChaosWotan on August 22, 2019 8:30PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1v1 a stamblade’s fine. A stamblade will have a very difficult time in no-CP against more than 1.

It just doesn’t bring anything to the table for group play. Sweet spot is solo imo, or 3-4 if your group can afford a pure damage player. Larger groups work well with brawler Stamblades, but that’s not how most like to spec.

Anything more than 4... and sometimes at 4, it’ll be all aoe spam and cloak will be useless.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 22, 2019 11:13PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Cernunnos55
    Cernunnos55
    ✭✭✭
    My recommendation for you would be to make a new character, and this time specifically use it to practise in PvP. What this means is levelling it to 50 through the Under 50s Campaign, Mulaamnir. Folk are reasonably friendly, you can learn the ropes, ask questions, and potentially make some friends you can use as future points of contact for information.

As far as direct advice goes: people say that a nightblade isn't excellent for Battlegrounds. I suppose this is true - they don't bring much to the table in terms of group versatility, they are pretty much direct damage dealers. That isn't to say they are "bad" for Battlegrounds - I have completely torn deathmatch games apart with my MagBlade for example, but in terms of score, sharing buffs, providing debuffs etc, Nightblades are limited.

They are, however, extremely versatile and effective in open world PvP. Need someone to burn an enemy forward camp? Nightblade. Got to the keep half way through their siege and need to slow them down while reinforcements arrive? I know someone who can burn their siege - Nightblade. Cut reinforcements as they trickle through the gate, provide much needed muscle to actual all out fights - Nightblades are good. Other things have more tools.
    Guild Master of The Pride of Daggerfall, D.C. loyalist and commander of the Cerglings.

R’hana – Khajiit – StamBlade – Crafter/PvP
    Iranduril – Altmer – MagSorc – PvE DPS
    Sayelo Tomylilfren – Argonian – Hybrid Dragonknight – PvE Tank
    A Brexit Policy – Redguard – StamSorc – PvP
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have just played solo in Cyro this summer, so don't know that much about raid requirements today, but my best k/d rate in 2014/15, with a stamblade, was 148/0, when being frontline with the best EP raid guilds. Now, however, it seems like the gameplay is even more about synergies and other teamwork tactics not suited for a stamblade.

Good guilds today also appear to have (slightly) stricter requirements, in terms of class, skill choices and gear, if you want to join them, so I play solo with my stamblade, for now at least. In one way, PvP and trial guilds seemed a bit more chill and less "professionalized" in 2014/15, but maybe my impression about the game today is wrong.
    Edited by ChaosWotan on August 23, 2019 12:17PM
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange MMR indeed. Last two land grab games my k/d was 0/6 and 0/10. Can't ESO just implement a warrior caste system with three levels a player can join voluntarily: 1) I suck, 2) me average, 3) keyboard warrior god.

Until the MMR is more balanced my new goal is to get a k/d of 0/148 in death matches, just for the fun of it and to the amusement of my team members I'm sure.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t recommend using DW and Bow because that leaves you with very little healing. A better setup in general would be either 2H and Bow or DW and 2H.
  • Cernunnos55
    Cernunnos55
    ✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    I don’t recommend using DW and Bow because that leaves you with very little healing. A better setup in general would be either 2H and Bow or DW and 2H.

I'm not sure I would necessarily agree here. A NB can do a lot with keeping Blood Craze up, making use of Draining Shot (especially now it's not stun-dependent), and hitting Resolving Vigor before cloaking to get max use out of it.
    Guild Master of The Pride of Daggerfall, D.C. loyalist and commander of the Cerglings.

R’hana – Khajiit – StamBlade – Crafter/PvP
    Iranduril – Altmer – MagSorc – PvE DPS
    Sayelo Tomylilfren – Argonian – Hybrid Dragonknight – PvE Tank
    A Brexit Policy – Redguard – StamSorc – PvP