The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

System Specs not enough?

rmorgan
rmorgan
I'm currently running ESO on my Macbook Pro, I have 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB of Ram, and Intel HD 4000 1GB Graphics card. I seem to only really lag during PvP right now, and its pretty extreme when I do lag, it takes forever for my character to respond to my actions. At first I thought it was internet lag but it only happens when I'm in a large combat area, could it still be the internet and not my comp? Btw I can run the game on Ultra and it doesn't lag while questing or whatever. I also am running into a problem with the game crashing a lot, and I mean a lot. It crashes at minimum once per game session. Can anyone help me out?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    rmorgan wrote: »
    I'm currently running ESO on my Macbook Pro, I have 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB of Ram, and Intel HD 4000 1GB Graphics card. I seem to only really lag during PvP right now, and its pretty extreme when I do lag, it takes forever for my character to respond to my actions. At first I thought it was internet lag but it only happens when I'm in a large combat area, could it still be the internet and not my comp? Btw I can run the game on Ultra and it doesn't lag while questing or whatever. I also am running into a problem with the game crashing a lot, and I mean a lot. It crashes at minimum once per game session. Can anyone help me out?
    Hi @rmorgan. Regarding lag in Cyrodiil big battle PvP, there is a lot of issues currently if you check the forums general including lag which appear to be server-side rather than client. However with your Mac it may also be related to both your network connection and also the CPU/ GPU.

Your MacBook Pro uses an integrated graphics card which uses your RAM which is not effective as VRAM on a discrete graphics card. It means that, especially under the heavy loads on the graphics in big battle PvP, it will struggle to cope especially at anything other than Low/ Medium settings for that setup. So, it can appear to lag or stutter because it simply can't keep up with demand.

But it can also be down to server or connection too or a combination.

Crashes can be to various causes but there is a known memory issue which will generally cause crashes in questing every 2-4 hours depending on amount of other players etc. In PVP with the additional demands it is closer to 25-45 minutes. Work is ongoing on this issue. But there are also other causes of crashes especially at login or trying to login, in various zones depending on server population etc to.

To read more about this check out this thread where you can also post a crash report (copy/ paste) which will help to at least identify the general reason.

In questing a 1GB graphics card even integrated should be fine though, you wont want to be going above the default settings it gives and most likely tweaking settings down to get decent overall performance.

the main settings to look at are Shadow Quality (medium or lower generally) for performance i.e. FPS as it has the biggest impact. Always have Vertical Sync OFF in Fullscreen as it will cap your fps below what it can otherwise achieve and will put more demand on your limited RAM (it's a 32-bit client so limited to 4GB memory)

Even though you say you can run it at Ultra I recommend not to and try different settings which will help overall stability. And for PvP it really needs to be reduced a lot.

To help reduce the frequency of memory crashes turning down Texture Quality to Medium or lower will make the biggest difference. View Distance reduction also helps.