The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Testing ESO on my M.2 drive

user0666
user0666
My computer has a 500gb m.2 drive. The only thing i've stored on that drive is the operating system and Doom 2016. I have a 5TB HDD that I have ESO and a couple games installed. My loading time on Doom 2016 is almost instant while the loading times on ESO(such as loggin in) just take too long in my opinion for a gaming pc that I built this year. I got 8GB of ram, my CPU is an i78700k 6 core proccessor, my cpu is also liquid cooled, and I have a 1080ti video card. Doom 2016 runs great on all max settings and never have fps issues but ESO i will sometimes randomly have FPS issues.

Anyway, I was told at a computer store that the reason my loading times for Doom is dramatically different than ESO(and this came from a guy who plays both games) is because Doom is on my m.2 drive.

So as an experiment I was thinking of getting ESO on my M.2 drive to see if it would make it load faster.

So here's my question: can i somehow transfer ESO from my HDD to my M.2 drive or am I going to have to uninstall the game and re download and re install all over again but this time directly to my C drive?(my m.2 drive) ...if I can simply transfer, how do i do that? My OS is Windows 10 pro 64 bit.
  • Unstable.Pixel
    Unstable.Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    You can copy over the directory. Have to update any shortcuts you had set up, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to re-install. However, it likely won't matter as ESO is a flaming trashcan when it comes to optimization. You'd really only bottleneck at a CPU level, but even then the latest and greatest won't make ESO run superbly.
    I swear to drunk i'm not god
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience any SSD will have a noticeable impact on ESO performance, especially if your machine isn't top notch. I now play mostly on a NVMe m.2 SSD on my desktop, which uses a x4 PCIe interface, so good performance is to be expected. But previously I played on a laptop and moved the game from an HDD to a SATA SSD, which has much lower bandwidth than PCIe, and still could easily notice the improvement in loading screens.

Bear in mind that where you put the game folder only affects how fast the game loads from storage into memory. It probably will cut loading screen times, fix any issues with black textures that haven't finished loading, etc. Don't expect higher frame rates or lower latency.
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever since I moved ESO from HDD to SSD it loads twice as fast and I no longer encounter blank/blurry textures for 1-2 minutes after logging in. I only have a GTX 770 though, not a 1080ti, so the problem I was having I'm sure was worse than your situation to begin with.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • stephrk398
    stephrk398
    Soul Shriven
    daemonios wrote: »
    In my experience any SSD will have a noticeable impact on ESO performance, especially if your machine isn't top notch. I now play mostly on a NVMe m.2 SSD on my desktop, which uses a x4 PCIe interface, so good performance is to be expected. But previously I played on a laptop and moved the game from an HDD to a SATA SSD, which has much lower bandwidth than PCIe, and still could easily notice the improvement in loading screens.

Bear in mind that where you put the game folder only affects how fast the game loads from storage into memory. It probably will cut loading screen times, fix any issues with black textures that haven't finished loading, etc. Don't expect higher frame rates or lower latency.

Good to know. Running an NVMe as well and contemplating putting the game on it. Might just have to.
    Arrow to the whaaaaat?...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just jettisoned my old OS and installed a new SSD with Windows 10. I just copied the files over to the new drive, installed the 2010 version of C++ and DirectX. Everything works. I think it even patched just fine.

An M.2 drive will be faster than an SSD, but I dont know if it will be all that noticeable. And Solid State is going to spank a platter drive, especially multi TB which are relatively slow compared to a smaller platter.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've currently game on both my laptop and Desktop. On laptop it's on a standard HDD and in Desktop on nvme M.2. I have compared both of them next to each other for loading screen times with same internet connection, and there is no telling which one will load faster. Sometimes it the Laptop and sometimes the desktop. I think, it all depends on the server, how they handle your request to load your character considering everything is server based and not client.
    Edited by UrbanMonk on August 23, 2019 6:51AM
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.