Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

HTTP Request Failed

JaCastle
JaCastle
Hi, James A here new to forums so please forgive me as I am learning as I go.

I have managed to download the game client, and get to where it asks me to install the game, I click install on my iMac and I end up waiting over ten to twenty minuets then it starts to download, for a few seconds then suddenly:

HTTP request failed 55788.69 MB remaining 0.0Kb/s 0%

nothing has downloaded, nothing at all. and I have tried to delete previous client download, previous add ons and settings and anything in the iCloud too. I have even purged and cleaned my hard drive, cache and the rest that the support page suggests to do with my firewall and internet security too. I have even tried with all internet security and firewall turned off and nothing is happening. Anyone have any help or suggestions please on how I can download the game that used to work before?

ty

James A A (JaCastle)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    The "HTTP Request Failed" error may be an issue with your ESO launcher. You should first try deleting the launcher folder following these steps.
    • Open Finder
    • Go to Applications
    • Find and delete the Zenimax Online folder.
      • The Launcher folder will be under the main ZOS folder.

Once you have deleted the folder, download the ESO Launcher from your account management page here to reinstall it. You can do this by logging in to your account on our website and clicking the Download Game button on the page for your appropriate platform.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • JaCastle
    JaCastle
    hi there, thank you for your response to me,

I would like to update you and inform you that I have also done this your instructions several times too and each time I ended up with the same error too, that is alongside making sure the previous instructions were followed in the other forum that I read, im still receiving the same message.

I followed your instructions step by step and it failed and I got the message again and the game is just not downloading.

thank you again

Mr James A A
    JaCastle
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    The "HTTP Request Failed" error may be an issue with your ESO launcher. You should first try deleting the launcher folder following these steps.
    • Open Finder
    • Go to Applications
    • Find and delete the Zenimax Online folder.
      • The Launcher folder will be under the main ZOS folder.

Once you have deleted the folder, download the ESO Launcher from your account management page here to reinstall it. You can do this by logging in to your account on our website and clicking the Download Game button on the page for your appropriate platform.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @JaCastle

If the troubleshooting posted above has not helped with the error, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • JaCastle
    JaCastle
    @JaCastle

If the troubleshooting posted above has not helped with the error, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.

Hi there, thank you R (another support) for replying to me, I appreciate your time and help.

I keep downloading the ESO Launcher through your elderscrolls.com website through my account that I log into now that I have access to my email sorted (being able to get the code and to get to download the Launcher), and no matter how many times I attempt the Launcher to re install the game, I get that message "HTTP Request Failed" with just the zenimax folders set up ready for installing files. nothing installs etc. I have followed support and forum instructions, and recently one was to make sure I deleted the whole application files and folders to re download and attempt to install again, but it blocks. this is happening since apple got me installing Mojave OS. but on Monday 3rd Dec, apple said they will be picking up my computer, to look at comp', by whiping the hard drive and re installing the original OS which was High Sierra which as far as I can make is more secure than Mojove OS.

James A A.
    JaCastle
  • JaCastle
    JaCastle
    @JaCastle

Hi RikardD,

James A A here (JaCastle), I would like to update you with some information with regards to the issue of "HTTP Request Failed" issue. I was looking through again, the general information you at ESO Support provide regarding this and related subjects too...

iMac Mojave OS
    Firewall is on and Launcher is allowed
    My Internet Security: Web Control: Disabled (here there's a list of tick boxes to tick starting with Adult Control, Software, audio, video, alcohol, tabacco, violence, internet communications, online stores, banks, payment systems, job search, Anonymizers, Computer games, Religions, religious associations, news, media - and a few others)

all turned off

tick box: Safe Search - Filter results shown by search engines

tick box: Restrict file downloads
    prohibit the following: Music, Applications, Video, Archives

I am giving you the above information as I accidentally found that, a different website issue I been dealing with with apple was fixed and the game client is currently downloading the game, sorry its installing the game now with no HTTP Request Failed messages popping on the client. it seemed to fix when I disabled the Restrict file downloads TICK BOX and totally when I disabled the Web Control TICK BOX (and the whole web control option button) too. 8% downloaded so far. :)

thanks again for your patience with me and for your assistance and support.

let me know what you think about what I've informed you, with any further advice and or tips please. thank you.

James A A
    JaCastle
  • vaananentuomoeb17_ESO
    vaananentuomoeb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have this same problem and im starting to get mad. No matter what i do the laucher simpple wont download the game. I Have never ever had this kind of problem with other games or softwares so how on earth is this happening with you guys?
    Its really odd!

• Coorbin
    Coorbin
    ✭✭✭
    This problem has existed for well over a year and affects Windows and Mac alike. The solution is to use a VPN or use another ISP. If you don't have a subscription to any VPN and you don't want to buy one, and you can't go anywhere else (someone else's house, etc.) to download ESO, you will not be able to install and play ESO. There are no other workarounds. VPNs are not expensive and are a useful security tool in some scenarios, so you may want to subscribe to one for that reason anyway.

Technical details: The reason this happens is that ESO's launcher keeps a list of IP addresses that are valid download servers. That list gets out of date, and the launcher very seldom receives an update (once per year or less). The list gets out of date because your ISP partners with the ESO patch server provider (Akamai) to put Akamai servers inside your ISP's data center, and the ESO launcher isn't aware of those servers as being "valid" download servers. Your ISP then directs you to download the game from those "local" servers inside your ISP, and when the launcher verifies the IP address, it deems it invalid, so it doesn't take the download.

The problem is squarely with the launcher, but I expect it will not be fixed until ESO completely migrates away from this patching infrastructure. They will have to introduce an entirely new patcher/launcher system and/or use a different CDN for their patch data. There have been countless tickets open about this, and it affects a LOT of people, so complaining to ZOS at this point won't help. They know what the real problem is but they refuse to admit it or to actually fix it. Probably because it would take more money and developer hours to fix it than they have available to them.

TL;DR: Get a VPN, connect to it, and patch. Or go to a friend's house (ideally one that uses a different ISP) and hope it works there. There's no other solution besides playing ESO on a console. This problem affects Windows and Mac alike.