The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How much space do i need to UPDATE the game to a new patch??

Danklord
Danklord
✭✭
I have atm 51gb of free space. And the game is telling me i do not have enough space. I mean i know that ZoS has been doing a very poor job with trying to improve the size the game takes. Majority of all mmos, that are even bigger, has 1/3 of the size. But maybe ZoS will deal with this at some point. Anyway, do i really need like 100gb just to update the game? Im not gonna remove bunch of games just to update a patch...
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danklord wrote: »
    I have atm 51gb of free space. And the game is telling me i do not have enough space. I mean i know that ZoS has been doing a very poor job with trying to improve the size the game takes. Majority of all mmos, that are even bigger, has 1/3 of the size. But maybe ZoS will deal with this at some point. Anyway, do i really need like 100gb just to update the game? Im not gonna remove bunch of games just to update a patch...

none the patch overwrites existing game
  • Danklord
    Danklord
    ✭✭
    But why does it tell me i don't have enough disk space?
  • Danklord
    Danklord
    ✭✭
    "The launcher has detected you do not have enough hard drive space free to update the game. Please free up space on your hard drive."

And i played just a few days ago before the patch was released.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    not sure, you going through steam?
  • Danklord
    Danklord
    ✭✭
    No, i downloaded it from their website.
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, i downloaded it from their website.

By "their" are you meaning Steam or ZeniMax?

Steam make use of another way to patch games that are external (most MMOs on Steam work this way) from their own products which means that Steam client will download a copy in achieved format and then it will replace original game files with that copy by unpacking and replace files. This process take more time and also more space, then if you would had updated through ZeniMax. ZeniMax own system where you use their launcher to patch games, would also take some time as it is a large patch this time (DLC), compared to normal patches.

If you don't have enough space, then the only option is that uninstall ESO client from Steam client and let it down load everything again. It will take some time (depending on your Internet speed and how fast your storage device are to move files), but you will now only have that large file from Steam that doesn't need to be patched as it is the latest version.

//RexyCat
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭

none the patch overwrites existing game

This is only true for ZeniMax launcher. Steam client where you use their library and their own patching system for games sold by Steam will first download an achieve (compressed format, like zip file that only Steam client can read) which will then unpack and change files to the new version.

//RexyCat
  • Danklord
    Danklord
    ✭✭
    Zenimax website. And i have 50GB, idk how big the new patch is, but is it 50gb? Is the total launcher now 150gb? I mean, that would mean the death of my harddrive.
  • Danklord
    Danklord
    ✭✭
    I just reinstalled the game. There seems to have been issues with the game. Cuz when i uninstalled it, it never disappered, the entire exe files and everything was still there. I just deleted that and re downloaded the game.
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    I had 39GB left and had the same thing. Removed a 35GB game to have 74 GB available. Still no luck and restarted the PC to make sure it was seeing the new free space. After that i uninstalled the PTS to have 120gb+ space available. At that amount it finally worked. Previous patches were not like this.
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA