Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

State of the Game

Frenchterran
Frenchterran
Soul Shriven
I fellow adventures .. i started the game after leaving it few months after the initial launch. I was 50 and bored.

So i started the game again and i was nicely surprise how the game has increased in term of content and new features.

I wish to invest myself more seriously but i have a few questions about the future of the game : How do you feel about the future ? Is the game near the end of his life ? Are you happy about it ? It there hidden problems that i missed and will broke my enthousiasm ? I see there is still many players : how many do you think ? And are the player number going down or going up ?

Maybe those questions are lazy but those are real question i'm asking myself.

Anyway : Have a good day !
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the game is still rising. Generally, i am happy about it, not that it couldnt be improved. No idea how many players, but the company running it boasted about 10 mil accounts or something. Does not feel empty, in any case. General consensus seems this is the best option for an MMO at this moment.

Keep in mind these forums are the complaint departement(as with any MMO really).
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is doing great, the number of players is constantly rising. There is new content coming regularly, and, unpopular opinion, the balance changes they are making are great. By that, I mean that we are getting closer to the "Play as you want", more changes are coming, it is still incomplete. Performance might be an issue, but they are going to seriously try and address it, they published a very solid plan from now to Q2 2020. I am very optimistic about the future of this game, and I think this game is better and better. So, you didn't miss the golden age or anything.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭
    I would tend to mostly agree with the others. It's a great game, and now is a good time to "discover it".
    The lore is great, there is lots of exploration to do, really good questing, pretty good HL content.

The only problem I have is with the balance pass which is a complete mess.
    Some changes are good, but lot of them are dumb.
    Just as an example, bosmers (wood elves) received a passive that is useless in PvE, only working in PvP.
    Could be worse you might say... But what if I tell you that it's effect in PvP is actually to make it easier for your opponent to discover you while you are stealthed ? Yep, this passive make you weaker if you put points in it. And it have been this way since the first major update of the year...

But if you avoid the broken stuff, you can build pretty descent characters, even if there is less variety than before.
  • Frenchterran
    Frenchterran
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for your answers, i'm glad i won't waste my time on it !
  • ThePlayer
    ThePlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://mmo-population.com/r/elderscrollsonline/

I don't see all these new players around, after the players boom with Elsweyr, many new players left after 1 month, some remained naturally.
    The game has a horizontal expansion, in the sense of new zones and new dungeons, but there is no vertical expansion, in the sense of new quests, new daily, new loots drop; that's why people get bored quickly.
    I continue to play, and I have 16 chars, but soon I'll get to a point of boredom, also because I can't find groups of strong players to complete the last achievements that I have left.
    Edited by ThePlayer on August 14, 2019 9:37AM
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be worse you might say... But what if I tell you that it's effect in PvP is actually to make it easier for your opponent to discover you while you are stealthed ? Yep, this passive make you weaker if you put points in it. And it have been this way since the first major update of the year...

What? The passive makes it easier for you to spot sneaking enemies, while before it was making it harder for them to spot you. For pve it's useless, for PvP, arguably worse, but having points invested in it is still useful and does not have any real negative impact on you.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see it booming or stopping anytime soon

I think ZOS is surfing on it

Content is good but performance is bad.

• TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »

What? The passive makes it easier for you to spot sneaking enemies, while before it was making it harder for them to spot you. For pve it's useless, for PvP, arguably worse, but having points invested in it is still useful and does not have any real negative impact on you.

So, to make it short, the passive allow your stealthed opponent to be informed of the presence of your bosmer from further away, without the bosmer knowing that your enemy is close and know you are here.

Here is an old post about it :
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5999677/#Comment_5999677

Edited by TankinatorFR on August 14, 2019 4:07PM
  • heartburnkid
    heartburnkid
    ✭✭✭
    This game has a lot of things that I like, but it doesn’t hold my interest. I check the forum once or twice a month to see if anything changed, but that’s about it. It is just boring to me and I never feel a need to play this game. When and if I do turn it on, I have fun with it, but I never feel the initial ‘let me play this’ feeling. Part of it is the lack of queuing into trials and the other is something else I can’t explain. It’s just a feeling I get of pure boredom I suppose.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, I am upset. I guess because of life events, just seeing greedy corporations do nothing to fix problems but just keep putting out content with no care to the customer just upsets me.

So I took a break because of "hicups" and lag. I come back after a few months and I find the game play worse. More lag, more stuttering and I don't even do multiplayer where it's even worse.

Content I would say is really good. When it "works" it's great. Thing is, sometimes ESO is like driving a Lamborghini. You have this awesome fast car that looks great. One problem. All 4 tires are flat, so basically you are going nowhere.

Also it seems Zenimax has no interest in inflating the tires. They just keep putting out macro transactions for people to buy.

So just know going in, this is a company who doesn't care about their customers. They don't care if you have fun or not. They don't care as long as they are getting money from people.

If they cared, they would have said something and not release a "statement" but actually engage the community which they do not. So for me, it's hard to support a company who are so smug, so full of it and thin they do a great job when in fact many people complain about the flat tires and Zenimax doesn't care.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Kalitas
    Kalitas
    ✭✭✭
    I fellow adventures .. i started the game after leaving it few months after the initial launch. I was 50 and bored.

So i started the game again and i was nicely surprise how the game has increased in term of content and new features.

I wish to invest myself more seriously but i have a few questions about the future of the game : How do you feel about the future ? Is the game near the end of his life ? Are you happy about it ? It there hidden problems that i missed and will broke my enthousiasm ? I see there is still many players : how many do you think ? And are the player number going down or going up ?

Maybe those questions are lazy but those are real question i'm asking myself.

Anyway : Have a good day !

The game has taken a number of steps forward recently but this latest Scalebreaker patch is a major step in the wrong direction. This is the WORST pvp meta I've ever played in, I would take Aprocalypse summer back over this ***. PVE is just generic, boring, DOT rotations. This is by far, the worst patch I've played in this game.
    @Kevin-G | Ajani | Wü-Tang Clan
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For a buy2play it's a fine game at least on PC not too far from servers. Monetization appears developing to leechier direction (pay2not-play) but is still ignorable. Whole MMO genre being what it is, it's one of the best, if I knew a better one I'd play that instead. Lots of content, most of it playable and lots of it is fun. Quality of life kind of sucks and performance problems and bugs can make some of the content unplayable at times.

Publisher communicates unusually poorly with players but appears some effort is being made to stop the game melting down. I take the game as something I play for fun so for me there is nothing to worry whether it happens or not.

I'm sure publisher cares about at least those customers who keep posting how they are going to purchase crown store stuff and gamble crates. Assuming not astroturfers.

• Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    For a buy2play it's a fine game at least on PC not too far from servers. Monetization appears developing to leechier direction (pay2not-play) but is still ignorable. Whole MMO genre being what it is, it's one of the best, if I knew a better one I'd play that instead. Lots of content, most of it playable and lots of it is fun. Quality of life kind of sucks and performance problems and bugs can make some of the content unplayable at times.

Publisher communicates unusually poorly with players but appears some effort is being made to stop the game melting down. I take the game as something I play for fun so for me there is nothing to worry whether it happens or not.

I'm sure publisher cares about at least those customers who keep posting how they are going to purchase crown store stuff and gamble crates. Assuming not astroturfers.

The game population is healthy, that is not the issue. But game play, group dynamic and game performance is on life support. . Pve is homogenized and pvp is pretty broken. So if your coming to eso for people. There are plenty of them, but they all play the game like it's a single player and ignore anyone around them.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the many sky is falling posts. This game will be around for many years.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you feel about the future ?
    With the lates store expansion, i guess in the future new content will become even more grindy with an "avoid grind option" purchasable in crownstore.

Is the game near the end of his life ?

I think there was a user record at the beginning of this year, so probably not.

Are you happy about it ?

No.

Are there hidden problems that i missed and will broke my enthousiasm ?

The problems are far away from being hidden. They are the same since years, like the grouptool, miserable server performance, and bugs in all shapes and forms.

I see there is still many players : how many do you think ? And are the player number going down or going up ?
    No clue.

• aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have unsubbed, no interest in playing this meta. Will be checking back periodically to see if ZOS makes any improvements such as reverting all skill changes for the past 2 years.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To add:

In my opinion greatest "hidden" problem is that ZOS either decides to keep list of known bugs confidential or does not have one (that would be silly) and does not acknowledge many of the bugs/issues reported. Also appears if some issue is acknowledged and a fix in future promised in a pinned post, it does not necessarily happen. The post just gets unpinned. Of course some issues may not be economical to fix but doing it that way does not invoke confidence.

One of problems acknowledged and a fix in future promised was communication. Clearly its not fixed.
    Edited by rpa on August 14, 2019 5:38PM
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Performance has gotten significantly worse. The first spike of bad performance after One Tamriel began when housing was added in Homestead, followed by Morrowind. Since then, every DLC and chapter has added noticeable degradation to the game's performance. Personally, I think that the sheer number of stored housing instances coupled with poor calculations in high density areas are where the code is causing the performance problems. I imagine managing player accounts is also taxing on the system after all these years.

Aside from performance, the game itself is in a good state combat-wise. DoT abilities just got a much-needed buff and healing is no longer a brainless role. Right now, it looks like magicka is a bit more effective which is a healthy change since stamina has been overtuned for two straight years. Stamina builds lack purge so I imagine there will be more magicka DoT builds this season. In PvP, Zerg-bombing is now extremely effective and Magicka Nightblades will now be able to punish ball groups easily.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    For me, I am upset. I guess because of life events, just seeing greedy corporations do nothing to fix problems but just keep putting out content with no care to the customer just upsets me.

So I took a break because of "hicups" and lag. I come back after a few months and I find the game play worse. More lag, more stuttering and I don't even do multiplayer where it's even worse.

Content I would say is really good. When it "works" it's great. Thing is, sometimes ESO is like driving a Lamborghini. You have this awesome fast car that looks great. One problem. All 4 tires are flat, so basically you are going nowhere.

Also it seems Zenimax has no interest in inflating the tires. They just keep putting out macro transactions for people to buy.

So just know going in, this is a company who doesn't care about their customers. They don't care if you have fun or not. They don't care as long as they are getting money from people.

If they cared, they would have said something and not release a "statement" but actually engage the community which they do not. So for me, it's hard to support a company who are so smug, so full of it and thin they do a great job when in fact many people complain about the flat tires and Zenimax doesn't care.

I think it's still a great game but I totally agree that the changes to the combat team and overall focus of balance is worst now.

They don't talk, they don't face the comunity. At least Wrobel had the b... to show up on ESO live each patch there were major combat changes. Now they're hiding and people lose confidence with hideous behaviour.

Yeah great... Classes are balanced because they all play the same....
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk