Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fatal Error (Error 6)

MacLayden
MacLayden
Just stared getting Error 6 with last update.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @MacLayden

If you are getting Fatal Error 6 in the launcher, please try the troubleshooting steps listed below.

REPAIR THE ESO LAUNCHER
    1. Open The Elder Scrolls Online Launcher by right-clicking on the icon on the desktop and selecting Run as Administrator.
    2. Wait for the launcher to open completely.
    3. If multiple ESO clients are installed and available through the launcher, make sure you have the correct version highlighted by clicking on it once.
    4. Open the Game Options dropdown menu and click on the option for Repair.
    5. Allow the launcher to examine all the files for the game. This may take some time.
    6. If any files are found to have problems, the launcher will re-download those files.

DELETE THE ESO LAUNCHER FOLDER

PC: Go to the Launcher folder and delete it.
    • You can find this by default at C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher.

DOWNLOAD NEW ESO LAUNCHER

Once you have deleted the folder, download the ESO Launcher from your account management page here to reinstall it. You can do this by logging in to your account on our website and clicking the Download Game button on the page for your appropriate platform.

If you play on Steam, download a new copy of the game through Steam.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Welewa
    Welewa
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting this after today's patch but I have no repair option under game options on the launcher. I've deleted the launcher folder and redownloaded, twice. Still no joy. I'm still crashing after pushing play and not making it to the log in screen. Every time the crash report tells me its fatal error 6. The tech support offered here is not working for me.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Welewa

What options do you currently have under game options?

You can take a screenshot of the game options menu to post in this thread.
    Staff Post
  • Vindemiatrix
    Vindemiatrix
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE i am having this same issues. it kind of gets stuck on an infinite loops of repairing. while patching i got unknown error several times. i finally got in and got Fatal error 6 on crash report on start up. currently repairing for the billionth time. after verifying it goes into download and seems to be downloading the entire game repeatably. I have done the steps above several times. Please advise.

Edited by Vindemiatrix on August 13, 2019 1:29AM
    Guildmama: AssemblyOfSafetyNSecurity
    Vindemiatrix, V16 DC DK, Master Angler
    holee hand grenade, V16 DC Templar, Master Angler
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Vindemiatrix

Try going through the series of steps below as they can sometimes help when the update or repair gets stuck.
    1. Open the launcher in administrator mode, you can do this by right clicking on the launcher and selecting "Run as administrator" from the drop down menu.
    2. Go to game options. This is located in the middle of the launcher under the news feed.
    3. Cancel any update in progress.
    4. Return to game options and select settings.
    5. In setting change auto update from always to never.
    6. Press apply.
    7. Select the cog wheel up the top right hand corner of the launcher.
    8. Select the megaserver you want to change to ( EU or NA)
    9. Once this is complete go back to game options and select check for updates. This should start to patch the game for your new server.
    10. If it does not patch select repair from game options and wait for the repair to finish.
    11. Once the repair has finished select check for updates.
    Staff Post