Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Do I need to fill out the Tree?

Badger58
Badger58
Soul Shriven
When purchasing abilities in the various skill trees, is it necessary to get every active skill or can you just buy the ones you'll be using? I've seen some gameplay videos where the player if buying every active in a skill, and I was wondering if there was a synergy bonus for each active you have, or was the player just being a completist?
----
D7458902-3776-4E9F-9E76-E4B0E94A18BC_zpskuc9mgma.png
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can skip, just have to have the min skill necessary to buy it (and a free skillpoint of course).
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably just a completist you saw. There is no need to get all of the abilities of a tree if you're not going to use them. Some class passives will give you boosts for each power of a certain tree that is on your bar, but that doesn't mean you need to take them all (because having a full bar of powers where you only use two or three just to get a bit more crit chance, for example, probably isn't the best idea).

It really depends on what you see for the character and how you make the powers work together.
  • Badger58
    Badger58
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks. Now that I think of it, since the videos were recorded during betas, the player was probably getting them all to test them out.
  • Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes and no.

No you will not ever use them all at same time or build but yes you want to in order to rank them up fir when / incase you want to use them in a build.
  • Hilandra
    Hilandra
    ✭✭
    It's definitely not required to unlock them all.. Just use the ones you would like to have in your build and spend your remaining skill points on other things you desire :) (crafting for example and the plenty of passives)