Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

question on weapon skill passives? very confusing?

glamorousskies
I am confused on how a weapon skill passive will affect class abilities that are also slotted. Let me give you an example of what i am talking about:

In the dual wield skill line. The last ability is a passive. If you wield a dagger this passive increases your crit by 2.5% it states "while dual wielding" not while using a dual wielding ability. Does that mean if i use a class ability that 2.5% will apply or not? How do you know?
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unequip your dagger. Check your crit from your character tab. Then equip dagger again. If your crit goes up on your global character stats tab it is certainly global. If it doesn't go up then it is still unknown though less probable.
    Edited by Armitas on April 14, 2014 1:14PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am confused on how a weapon skill passive will affect class abilities that are also slotted. Let me give you an example of what i am talking about:

In the dual wield skill line. The last ability is a passive. If you wield a dagger this passive increases your crit by 2.5% it states "while dual wielding" not while using a dual wielding ability. Does that mean if i use a class ability that 2.5% will apply or not? How do you know?

Well from the language I would say you get the critical whenever you are weilding two weapons (with one of them being a dagger), which would encompass the dual weild abilities as well as just hitting the enemy.

But that's just from the language.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • glamorousskies
    Armitas wrote: »
    Unequip your dagger. Check your crit from your character tab. Then equip dagger again. If your crit goes up on your global character stats tab it is certainly global. If it doesn't go up then it is still unknown though less probable.

i haven't went into daggers yet. i want to see if it's worth the points if this is something i would actually get. don't want to have to pay tons of money to respec if i'm wrong.

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now that I think of it...class skills use magic so they may only use spell crit. I have not confirmed this, just thinking out loud.
    Edited by Armitas on April 14, 2014 2:02PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • glamorousskies
    Now that I think of it...class skills use magic so they may only use spell crit. I have not confirmed this, just thinking out loud.
    i was going to ask about that. what are all the ways i can raise my spell crit??? i need alot of it for my nightblade class skills.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i was going to ask about that. what are all the ways i can raise my spell crit??? i need alot of it for my nightblade class skills.

Light armor passives like Prodigy.

Also the mages guild has "mage light" which give spell crit.

Edit: Willow's Path forge set (Greenspeakers grove, Viridian Hideaway, Smokefrost vigil forge)
    There may be more.

Try this out. Grab the thief mundus stone and confirm whether or not it gives spell crit as well. If it does you can craft your armor so that it increases the mundus stone buff. That may be your best bet without sacrificing stuff.
    Edited by Armitas on April 14, 2014 4:52PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • glamorousskies

There may be more.

Try this out. Grab the thief mundus stone and confirm whether or not it gives spell crit as well. If it does you can craft your armor so that it increases the mundus stone buff. That may be your best bet without sacrificing stuff.

good thinking. but is armor with the divine trait on it rare? especially medium armor? i can't seem to find it.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There may be more.

good thinking. but is armor with the divine trait on it rare? especially medium armor? i can't seem to find it.

I don't know how rare the world drop is. In blacksmithing once you find an item with the mundus stone buff you can research it and then craft that piece with that buff. Here I am assuming that medium armor has the same option. You would need to research the trait, and have the particular gem stone mat that corresponds to it to craft it.

Found another spell crit option, added to my prior list.
    Edited by Armitas on April 14, 2014 4:52PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Class skills can use weapon or spell crit. I know NB has a few weapon crit class abilities and DK has searing strike and lava whip and maybe more. The are a few sorc skills I've yet to test but they all seem to be spell crit. Basically, if it seems 'melee-ish' and gets a sneak attack bonus, it is affected by weapon crit and goes against armor mitigation.
    Edited by Erock25 on April 14, 2014 5:56PM
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Some skill from weapon lane seems by the look of the editor to also work using deferent sets of weaponry see for exemple the full passive lines of restoration staff or the one handed and shield skill lines. In some way this means even if im using a 2h sword I get to have the benefits from those passive that belongs to other weapon sets
    Edited by Kyubi_3002b16_ESO on April 14, 2014 6:45PM
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun