Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Idea for surveys

msetten
msetten
✭✭✭✭
I was just doing a survey and thought about the following idea: why not also have purple and gold crafting surveys. They use the same location as the blue surveys, only they provide much more crafting resources (say purple 2x the blue survey and gold 4x the blue survey). These purple and gold crafting surveys would come in the same manner as the blue surveys, from doing daily crafting writs, only with a lower chance (and based on your crafting progress just like master writs). What do you think of this idea.
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind it at all, the more resources to refine=more goldies
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    msetten wrote: »
    I was just doing a survey and thought about the following idea: why not also have purple and gold crafting surveys. They use the same location as the blue surveys, only they provide much more crafting resources (say purple 2x the blue survey and gold 4x the blue survey). These purple and gold crafting surveys would come in the same manner as the blue surveys, from doing daily crafting writs, only with a lower chance (and based on your crafting progress just like master writs). What do you think of this idea.

Only real problem I see with that is, the surveys taking up 3 times as much space in your inventory/bank if you don't do them regularly.

Maybe a way to combine existing blue surveys instead of them dropping, say you have a stack of the same survey map, for one of the sites, have the option to combine them into a purple/gold survey map, when your ready to go harvest them, that way you can control the impact on your inventory space and make harvesting a stack of surveys easier.
  • msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Maybe a way to combine existing blue surveys instead of them dropping, say you have a stack of the same survey map, for one of the sites, have the option to combine them into a purple/gold survey map, when your ready to go harvest them, that way you can control the impact on your inventory space and make harvesting a stack of surveys easier.

Great addition to my idea.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only real problem I see with that is, the surveys taking up 3 times as much space in your inventory/bank if you don't do them regularly.

That’s only an issue for a small portion of the playerbase that’s too lazy to collect surveys on a regular basis.

Please don’t penalize busy crafters for lazy crafters’ habits.

If you aren’t going to do surveys destroy them.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s only an issue for a small portion of the playerbase that’s too lazy to collect surveys on a regular basis.

I would be against having 3x as many surveys. I have one character hold all of mine, until I get stacks of 10+ of them then collect them all at once. It's much more efficient.

I would most assuredly not call myself "lazy" about it... When you have 36 characters earning surveys, you get A LOT, so anything to make it more efficient is nice.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a fine idea. Wouldn't take up 3x the space since they would be infrequent and you have incentive to do them immediately. So you grab your purple/gold surveys and their associated blues and go.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Letting them collect to a fair number before running around and getting them is not lazy by any means. It is quite smart, especially since harvesting them can take quite a bit of work. Why must we gather them as soon as they arrive?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me an NPC that offers to trade my surveys for a reduced number of materials. Say a wood survey would give me 120 raw materials. The NPC would offer me 60 materials instead. This would help reduce the clutter and speed up my gathering process but at the cost of materials. Time savings at the cost of mats.

Another alternative would be to have all surveys and maps go to a separate tab that takes up no inventory space. Account wide like craft bag.

This combined with the idea of epic and legendary surveys at a low drop chance would solve some of my inventory issues.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, would motivate me more to do them
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine if something like this were implemented they'd nerf the drop rate for blue surveys so that the amount of mats entering the market doesn't change and disrupt the economy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since it would mean fewer surveys clogging your inventory pre-collection and less time/travel needing to be devoted to collecting them. What it probably wouldn't mean is getting more mats in total than what you can get under the current setup. Still, I wouldn't mind that sort of change if that's what the result ended up being.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The real issue is coding 3 times as many surveys plus another roll of the dice to see what quality survey you will get.

Zos would likely reduce the chance fo getting a survey so it all balanced out. That would be a good thing since it would mean fewer trips to harvest the surveys and still getting the same volume in the end.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this is not in theme but what about sorting surveys by zone instead of craft. Add-on creators, hear me!
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    An other ideal situation would be that if you have say 3 the same surveys in your inventory and go to the location of the survey, the amount you harvest is automatically for those 3 surveys. That would help immensely with doing surveys once a month.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An other ideal situation would be that if you have say 3 the same surveys in your inventory and go to the location of the survey, the amount you harvest is automatically for those 3 surveys. That would help immensely with doing surveys once a month.

If they did this... they'd have to make sure the "rolls" (for double node, for nirncrux in Crag, etc...) are all done as "independent" events (like they've done with the new multicraft on PTS).

Alchemy would not work, since the randomness is in the flowers as well (which you can see before collecting)... who's to say I don't have a stack of 20 of them, and I'll just 'reset' the node until I get 4 or 5 corn flower nodes before I collect it?
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

If they did this... they'd have to make sure the "rolls" (for double node, for nirncrux in Crag, etc...) are all done as "independent" events (like they've done with the new multicraft on PTS).

Alchemy would not work, since the randomness is in the flowers as well (which you can see before collecting)... who's to say I don't have a stack of 20 of them, and I'll just 'reset' the node until I get 4 or 5 corn flower nodes before I collect it?

You are right regarding Alchemy nodes and the special items like nirncrux or dusts like you find in Wrothgar. But even doing it only for the other surveys would be a huge increase in convenience. Now one has always to travel a bit (never knowing just how far) to refresh the nodes.

There might be a solution for Alchemy that it would also be done as independent invents, just giving you ingredients like it had spawned a new set of nodes (which you just didn’t see). So it wouldn’t all be from the initial six types.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go back and forth on the whole idea for this.

Yes, I'd like it to be easier to collect the surveys, they do take a good amount of time for me to do...

That being said, I also feel...

1) Writs are already, by quite a large margin, the most efficient gold making tool in the game, in terms of time spent to reward. I average close to 8,000 gold "total" return (factoring in the gold/materials/tempers) per character a day, and they take like 2-3 minutes. That's a HUGE amount.

2) That doesn't factor in the value of the master writs you can get, nor does it factor in the surveys, which have more materials, which can drop more tempers, etc....

Thus, I also see the additional steps that have to be taken to do the master writs, or to collect the surveys as being an additional step to "slow down" the gold making machine that daily writs are.

Collecting surveys is still a very, very, very profitable endeavor, worth the time to do them for the materials/tempers/etc that you get from them. But, I also see how they're not for everybody...

The changes alone to crafting with Scalebreaker patch, being able to instantly refine our materials is going to cut the "survey" time in half already, since I would already spend close to an equal amount of time collecting the surveys, as I did refining the materials I collected.

Hence... I go back and forth on this... lol
    Edited by tmbrinks on August 11, 2019 4:14PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that writs can be worthwhile, but they do not take 2-3 minutes on a PS4. It often takes that long just to swap characters and perhaps run from the riding vendor to the crafting area. (The latter may not be necessary for most of your characters, but swapping characters still takes a significant amount of time.

I was "rushing" to get them done the other night before the reset and it was taking me at least 10 minutes (on the clock) for each one. That was for 2 days worth, since I had the previous days accepted already. Much more time consuming on the console.

I agree it makes money, but it is quite frustrating.

I don't think I like this idea because I am very tight on bag/bank space already. I don't need another variant to store.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

You are right regarding Alchemy nodes and the special items like nirncrux or dusts like you find in Wrothgar. But even doing it only for the other surveys would be a huge increase in convenience. Now one has always to travel a bit (never knowing just how far) to refresh the nodes.

There might be a solution for Alchemy that it would also be done as independent invents, just giving you ingredients like it had spawned a new set of nodes (which you just didn’t see). So it wouldn’t all be from the initial six types.

The solution to the alchemy issue already exists. Just copy over the Clockwork Alchemy Bag “nodes” and you’ve done exactly what you’re asking. You don’t see the actual items populated in the nodes, and the rng of multiple nodes could work in the background.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)