Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Music boxes

Thrudra_Magia
Thrudra_Magia
✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno

I love the music boxes that were introduced to the game that we can add to our housing. I won't go on about how I can only use it once, but I think ZOS missed an opportunity when they released the Elsweyr music box, Dancing Among the Fine Flowers. I bought it because I love music boxes. They add ambience to my houses.

The music box should not have been a 'classical' music box shape, but should've been an animated Khajiiti guitar/instrument playing the music, and here's why: when I first heard the musics I couldn't place it. Even though I had played Elsweyr on the PTS and finished the storyline as soon as I could. I thought it belonged to Summerset. The instrument used to create the music box makes all the difference to interpretation.

My suggestion is this: when crafting a music box in the future consider the zone and culture that plays the music. I think the housing community would LOVE LOVE LOVE having different instruments from the various Elder Scrolls cultures in our houses.

If you were to redesign, I would buy it again. Especially if it were a Khajiiti guitar/instrument. How cool would that be!?

I still love the music boxes. I think you guys did an awesome job with them. Keep up the good work!
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but you cannot come onto the forums and make a positive post regarding ZOS. It's an easy way to get you perma banned. If you don't believe me try finding another positive post, those OPS are gone now.

Sarcasm btw, nice to see something positive. Makes me want to check a music box out now.
  • Thrudra_Magia
    Thrudra_Magia
    ✭✭✭
    @Veinblood1965

No worries! I LOL'd :D because it seems that's all ZOS receieves in the forums are complaints.

My favorite music box is the first one they released, Blood and Glory. They may not want to hear it, but I use it for my haunted house during Halloween! I've received nothing but compliments on the ambience. :D
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I get what you're saying and would also like musical instrument furnishings, that you could pick up and play (and then put back down again, in the same spot), or that NPCs could play, but I tend to think of the music boxes as a separate thing.

They sound like music boxes, for a start, so it would seem odd for them to be in the shape of musical instruments.

In my opinion, any musical instrument furnishings they miight introduce, in future, should sound like the instrument in question, when you play them (or an NPC plays them); not like a music box.
  • Thrudra_Magia
    Thrudra_Magia
    ✭✭✭
    @Tigerseye

I appreciate your comment! What I was saying is that music boxes can be designed in different shapes. They don't always have to be the shape of a box, they can be a musical instrument. The key is when you activate it, it plays the music. ZOS can make the instrument pluck its strings, similar to a self-playing piano, but the animation may be too much.

I also think having musical instruments that you can play in the game is a huge ask.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Except, re. your last point, we already have musical instruments we can play in the game?

The animations already exist and more could be made.

So, they would just have to make it so we had musical instrument furniture items, that we could place in a home and then click on to play.

Whereupon, they would temporarily disappear and the /play [insert instrument here] animation would start.

Then, when we stopped the /play animation, they would just reappear in the same spot we placed them in, like we had put them down again.

If they played themselves I guess that would be OK, too (more in some cases - like pianos - than others), but my point was that they should then sound like a genuine piano, or guitar, or lute, or flute, or whatever.

Not like a music box, which has a very specific, mechanical sound.

Don't you think it would be weird to have things that looked exactly like musical instruments, but sounded like music boxes, when they played themselves?

If it was still a music box - with the mechanical workings inside and it still opened like a music box, to play, then I think it would be fine if it was in the shape of a guitar, or whatever.

So, a novelty-shaped music box, basically...

But anything that looked exactly like a musical instrument, self-playing or not, would have to sound exactly like the instrument it was made to look like (not like a music box) is the point I was trying to make.

...and then, it wouldn't be a music box, or a substitute for a music box.

It would then be a totally separate type of furnishing item; a playable, or self-playing, instrument furnishing.
    Edited by Tigerseye on August 10, 2019 7:44AM
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

I love the music boxes that were introduced to the game that we can add to our housing. I won't go on about how I can only use it once, but I think ZOS missed an opportunity when they released the Elsweyr music box, Dancing Among the Fine Flowers. I bought it because I love music boxes. They add ambience to my houses.

The music box should not have been a 'classical' music box shape, but should've been an animated Khajiiti guitar/instrument playing the music, and here's why: when I first heard the musics I couldn't place it. Even though I had played Elsweyr on the PTS and finished the storyline as soon as I could. I thought it belonged to Summerset. The instrument used to create the music box makes all the difference to interpretation.

My suggestion is this: when crafting a music box in the future consider the zone and culture that plays the music. I think the housing community would LOVE LOVE LOVE having different instruments from the various Elder Scrolls cultures in our houses.

If you were to redesign, I would buy it again. Especially if it were a Khajiiti guitar/instrument. How cool would that be!?

I still love the music boxes. I think you guys did an awesome job with them. Keep up the good work!

I ❤ your idea op 😊
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You love the idea of music boxes being made to look exactly like self-playing musical instruments, but still sounding like mechanical music boxes (and replacing them)?

I don't think you have thought this through... xD