Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crate Odds disclosure in 2020

NordSwordnBoard
NordSwordnBoard
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
"The major console makers – Sony Interactive Entertainment, operator of the PlayStation platform, Microsoft, operator of Xbox and Windows, and Nintendo, operator of the Nintendo Switch gaming platform – are committing to new platform policies that will require paid loot boxes in games developed for their platforms to disclose information on the relative rarity or probability of obtaining randomized virtual items. These required disclosures will also apply to game updates, if the update adds new loot box features. The precise timing of this disclosure requirement is still being worked out, but the console makers are targeting 2020 for the implementation of the policy."

https://www.theesa.com/perspectives/video-game-industry-commitments-to-further-inform-consumer-purchases/

hqdefault.jpg

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • NorthernNightmare
    NorthernNightmare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch them give the consoles better drop rates to make people buy more and PC remains the same
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree great news.

ZOS going to update?
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the first step before they get f*+;@! off for good.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch them give the consoles better drop rates to make people buy more and PC remains the same

You're assuming they don't already fudge the odds in real time to take advantage of the reward/loss cycle of their players.

At least there will be some transparency, though of course I will be interested to see what sort of penalties are in place for companies that provide inaccurate odds and how that will be audited.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Hopefully the first step before they get f*+;@! off for good.

Hardly. I almost stopped reading at "taking it seriously", because that is classic corporate prelude to at best doing something ineffectual regarding scummy yet profitable X, precisely to leave X intact, but give impression of something being done about it, or at worst just announcing it.
    If they wanted to help players make informed choices, they would not use lootboxes to conceal prices to begin with. Lootboxes without known odds are items without price tags. Lootboxes with known odds are items whose price tags exist, in principle, somewhere, where they do not scare customers, but can be shown to e.g. lawmakers sniffing around.
    Furthermore, videogambling companies, through lootboxes, prey on players who simply fail to take odds (or lack of them) into account and keep spending as long as desirable items may be in the next box. In other words, players gambling against unknown, presumably poor odds, will continue gambling against known, confirmed poor odds.
    So rather the opposite, a step to make sure lootboxes will stay for a long, long time.

Good they mentioned ESRB, because lootboxes are included in ESRB's interactive element indicator "in-game purchases", notably under "surprise items" (lol), unlike, say, simulated or real gambling, which are content descriptors in their own right, and content descriptors may affect end rating. Interactive elements, who knows? Pretty underwhelming way to deal with predatory RMTs/lootboxes as well, after they have been practically mainstream for over a decade.

EDIT: also note that players can a do get odds empirically. They can release them without worries.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on August 8, 2019 8:35PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is already another thread on the subject. Until Zos says they will do it or is forced to its meaningless to us.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    There is already another thread on the subject. Until Zos says they will do it or is forced to its meaningless to us.

The consoles are forcing it upon all the games on their systems. Did you even read the OP?
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odds for crates on PC is known in detail.

https://www.crowncrates.com/baandaripedlar
    12834 crates logged from this set.
    3 ebony dwarwen spiders found or 1:4000
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • OmegaRealities
    I can already see complaints...

It says a 1 out of 10 chance, I opened 10 and didn't get the thing.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1 out of 10. Let's at least be realistic. 1 out of 1000. Now there's a number I can get behind.
    PvP needs more love.
  • OmegaRealities
    BuildMan wrote: »

1 out of 10. Let's at least be realistic. 1 out of 1000. Now there's a number I can get behind.

Just saying some people will use that number as gospel and if it doesn't happen they will complain.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do pretty much know the drop rates thanks to some helpful community members tracking boxes opened. However, it will be nice if ZOS is essentially forced to disclose those odds. Really, they should just do it anyway because helping players make informed decisions should be something they want to do, but we are where we are now because $$$.

It will be nice to know if the insane number of nix hounds is intended or not. We never did get any word on that. If they have to disclose odds, anomalies like that can be reported if unintentional. Without odds or any response from ZOS we have to assume they want nix hounds to have 10x the drop rate of anything else in the same tier.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone going into this thinking the odds are stacked in their favour is an idiot. Showing them will hardly make a difference. People still play the lottery even if they know their chances are slim to none.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The consoles are forcing it upon all the games on their systems. Did you even read the OP?

LOL. You really need to read my post before asking me such inane questions. There is already another thread on the subject. Is specifically mentioned what Sony and MS have said they would start doing. This thread literally piggy backs on the same subject.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »

Just saying some people will use that number as gospel and if it doesn't happen they will complain.

Just saying some people will ignore the odds after they're published and they will complain ... ;)
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

LOL. You really need to read my post before asking me such inane questions. There is already another thread on the subject. Is specifically mentioned what Sony and MS have said they would start doing. This thread literally piggy backs on the same subject.

LOL, do you mean the thread started by the author of the #3 post in this thread? That thread was made hours after mine posted, how can I piggyback on a thread created after mine? Now that's inane.

Bethesda's name is on the list, are you being just being overly pedantic about ZOS not being present on that list? Console makers will force them to adhere to the console's policy regardless.

@idk The drole irony is that your first post itself is actually what's meaningless given the facts, then your double down on your ignorance in the next post. Please do some research next time before being casually dismissive or uselessly contrarian at your own expense.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Odds for crates on PC is known in detail.

https://www.crowncrates.com/baandaripedlar
    12834 crates logged from this set.
    3 ebony dwarwen spiders found or 1:4000

This will be a great tool for us console folks to check existing PC stats versus what they will provide.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, do you mean the thread started by the author of the #3 post in this thread? That thread was made hours after mine posted, how can I piggyback on a thread created after mine? Now that's inane.

Bethesda's name is on the list, are you being just being overly pedantic about ZOS not being present on that list? Console makers will force them to adhere to the console's policy regardless.

The drole irony is that your first post itself is actually what's meaningless given the facts, then your double down on your ignorance in the next post. Please do some research next time before being casually dismissive or uselessly contrarian at your own expense.

LOL, I state a simple fact that you call into question then you double down on that by trying to call it ignorance. Pathetic. Being how little response this thread has received it seems most agree with me. It is sad you felt the need to tag me on such a pointless response.

To the comment below. OP trying to tell me to stay on topic after he works on derailing his own dead thread with petty accusations. lol
    Edited by idk on August 14, 2019 4:05AM
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The drole irony is that your first post itself is actually what's meaningless given the facts, then your double down on your ignorance in the next post. Please do some research next time before being casually dismissive or uselessly contrarian at your own expense.

LOL, I state a simple fact that you call into question then you double down on that by trying to call it ignorance. Pathetic. Being how little response this thread has received it seems most agree with me. It is sad you felt the need to tag me on such a pointless response.

You can be a snide as you like, it's OK I actually have sympathy for you. You have no agrees on any posts you made in this thread, then go on to assume people agree with you? I didn't make the thread to feel popular, it was to inform more than stimulate debate. You didn't even address the points I made in my response, about the thread timing and your pedantry. Your failure to do so just reinforces the childish contrarianism.

@idk I'm moving on, but please stay on the thread topic if you plan on responding.

Fear is the Mindkiller