The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestion: Pay Our Hirelings

Ardaghion
Ardaghion
✭✭✭
We should pay a small amount of gold to our hirelings each day. They might deliver more than 3 pieces of wood in a work day.

So what I'm suggesting is that for a small gold payment, COD in the hireling email, we get the same amount of mats as a player could harvest in an 8 hour day.

Sure, logically, Pacrooti is probably harvesting all day but has to deliver to the 1000s of players that have a point in hirelings. Probably no wonder we get so little each day.
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    The idea of paying a bit of gold for a chance to slightly alter the contents/RNG is somewhat interesting. But a "small gold payment" for "amount of mats as a player could harvest in an 8 hour day" is clearly not going to fly. It would have to be the going rate at traders, in which case, just buy a day's worth there.
    Edited by phwaap on August 6, 2019 6:52PM
  • Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    They get everyones skill points that are put into hirelings what more do they need?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On paper the idea is not entirely awful.

But, @phwaap makes a good point. It takes the same amount of time to just buy what you need at the guild traders ... and there’s no RNG surprises by doing so.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 6, 2019 8:18PM
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I can see how there could be lots of issues with this idea. On paper, it sounds like a good idea. If I had a friend named Pacrooti that could spend 8 hours a day harvesting raw mats for me and I only had to pay say, the low going rate of in-game gold, it would be a good thing for me. I would be spending gold to avoid harvesting, which takes time away from playing other parts of ESO.

It doesn't make sense to pay more than the trader average as I could just buy it when I needed it. If the cost was too low traders would complain as there would be lots of raw mats in the economy every day that could be sold for profit. Since in-game gold is currency, I'm not sure how well any idea using it would be acceptable.

Maybe a better idea would be to change hireling rank III to a 24h timer but double the resources from rank II, create a rank IV with a 24h timer and double the resources from rank III.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ardaghion wrote: »
    Maybe a better idea would be to change hireling rank III to a 24h timer but double the resources from rank II, create a rank IV with a 24h timer and double the resources from rank III.

Not a horrible idea either ... other than introducing more mats into the game for no opportunity cost (players just have to log in and don’t have to spend time farming).

‘Double the resources’ is just a fancy way of saying “I don’t want to log in as much as I do now for the same rewards.” I’ll let you lead the conversation with the ZOS Itemization Team on that one.

To reiterate, I think the idea has merit ... it just needs more thought.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 6, 2019 11:53PM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish we can have an alchemy hireling and a jewelry hireling. If jewelry hireling not possible at least add chance to get jewelry mats from the blacksmith hireling. It's all mining after all.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we can have an alchemy hireling and a jewelry hireling. If jewelry hireling not possible at least add chance to get jewelry mats from the blacksmith hireling. It's all mining after all.

This.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Currently its a few free mats each day with a bit of luck in the RNG you get the occasional gold mats. All in all you get a small amount each day that slowly adds up to supplement your crafting supplies, especially if you have a lot of characters.

If you want lots of mats for gold, visit the guild traders, support and pay actual players, that spend their time to supply the market rather than a new minor gold sink.

Hirelings cost skill points to unlock, that unlock should not lead to punish those that have invested the skill points with a permanent gold sink.

Might be a tiny bit of gold each time but it adds up little by little, I would rather have that gold to spend how I see fit.

That said maybe as a middle ground, have hirelings have a small drop chance for crafting surveys, if people need extra free mats.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Currently its a few free mats each day with a bit of luck in the RNG you get the occasional gold mats. All in all you get a small amount each day that slowly adds up to supplement your crafting supplies, especially if you have a lot of characters.

If you want lots of mats for gold, visit the guild traders, support and pay actual players, that spend their time to supply the market rather than a new minor gold sink.

Hirelings cost skill points to unlock, that unlock should not lead to punish those that have invested the skill points with a permanent gold sink.

Might be a tiny bit of gold each time but it adds up little by little, I would rather have that gold to spend how I see fit.

That said maybe as a middle ground, have hirelings have a small drop chance for crafting surveys, if people need extra free mats.

Well, it was just a poorly thought out idea that popped into my head, right after I re-spec’d my main/main crafter and decided not to put any points into hirelings. I have enough extra points I could put 1 or 2 in each hireling but I just don’t think the return is worth the investment of a skill point.

It came down to the idea that we only give Pacrooti a few skill points and don’t really pay him. In return he gives us a small amount of mats, he doesn’t work very hard, he won’t deliver anything that day if we haven’t accepted the mail he previously sent and if he sends mats twice a day that just makes it harder to accept them.

I can find just as many mats in under 5 minutes as he sends in a day. To me it just isn’t worth the SP, so I was trying to come up with a better value proposition.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it was just a poorly thought out idea that popped into my head, right after I re-spec’d my main/main crafter and decided not to put any points into hirelings. I have enough extra points I could put 1 or 2 in each hireling but I just don’t think the return is worth the investment of a skill point.

It came down to the idea that we only give Pacrooti a few skill points and don’t really pay him. In return he gives us a small amount of mats, he doesn’t work very hard, he won’t deliver anything that day if we haven’t accepted the mail he previously sent and if he sends mats twice a day that just makes it harder to accept them.

I can find just as many mats in under 5 minutes as he sends in a day. To me it just isn’t worth the SP, so I was trying to come up with a better value proposition.

So... it takes you 5 minutes to get the materials that he sends in a day. It takes maybe an hour or 2 to get the skill points to max out your hirelings. So after 20 days, you're literally getting it all for "free" at a lower time-cost than you would personally invest. That's why all 36 of my characters are 3/3 in the all the hirelings.
    Edited by tmbrinks on August 7, 2019 3:06PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

So... it takes you 5 minutes to get the materials that he sends in a day. It takes maybe an hour or 2 to get the skill points to max out your hirelings. So after 20 days, you're literally getting it all for "free" at a lower time-cost than you would personally invest. That's why all 36 of my characters are 3/3 in the all the hirelings.

I said it was a poorly thought out idea, you don't have to pile on. :/
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I wasn't trying to "pile on". I analyze everything, was just stating my analysis on the matter. :neutral:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, I wasn't trying to "pile on". I analyze everything, was just stating my analysis on the matter. :neutral:

I'm lucky if I have the time and energy to login to 1 or 2 characters per day just to do a daily crafting writ and get the daily reward, as it is I'm lucky my partner can go in and train a few of my horses in the morning. There's no way I could ask her to log into all of my characters each day (or twice a day) just to get a few mats.

On the weekend I can sometimes find a bit more time but that's not going to net me much in mats.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm lucky if I have the time and energy to login to 1 or 2 characters per day just to do a daily crafting writ and get the daily reward, as it is I'm lucky my partner can go in and train a few of my horses in the morning. There's no way I could ask her to log into all of my characters each day (or twice a day) just to get a few mats.

On the weekend I can sometimes find a bit more time but that's not going to net me much in mats.

I have mine at 3/3. Yet I only log onto most of my characters once per day. The 3/3 is just to guarantee a drop each day, rather than trying to finagle a 24 hour timer. Sometimes, on weekends I'll try and get "3 in a weekend". Log in early on Saturday, get them again Saturday evening, then again on Sunday afternoon. But that's the extent.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    My partner does have enough free time in her day (she telecommutes), she could login in the morning for me on each character. Of course, I should probably pay her a small amount of gold each day for her troubles. :D

I feel bad that she's still taking care of training my NA Necro's horse and the horses of two of my EU characters. Then she also activates clothing and blacksmithing daily research scrolls from Rolis. I'm trying to finish crafting on the 9th trait for those skills on a second crafter but I don't want it to take the next 6 months.

She already spends time looking, on my behalf, for bargain motifs and other items at the traders, something I just don't have the time to do. Occasionally, on the weekends, I might hit the bigger traders in the major hubs but only buy if the price is inline with expectations. I'm on Xbox so I don't have TTC prices, Xbox prices can vary quite a bit from PC.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find the "login to each character" to be more and more of a pain, especially given that it has taken a bit longer in the past few weeks. Even letting me directly jump to the next character in the chain to minimize the delay would help.

I was half awake early this morning as I tried to roll my riding stuff ahead one more day (the 20H log in time). That is a painful part already, but I am not done with it after maxing riding, as I have done on several characters. A bit better since it doesn't need to be done in the middle of the night, but still a painful part of the game.

I also tend to follow tmbrinks idea of just touching most once a day, though I am still working towards maxing the hireling on all my 16 characters, so I am at every other day on many. I have plenty to do in the game, but I waste too much time logging in and out just to touch characters, which is annoying.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of my feelings about the worth of hirelings would be that I tend to notice only the standard mats, like wood or ore, I tend to forget that I also get improvement mats. So it's a bias that I think that the hirelings aren't worth the points but if you get a few higher level improvement mats, it's certainly worth the points.

I've never considered a provisioning hireling, usually thinking how easy it is to get food and drink mats but then I guess they should also send the occasional purple ingredient. I get those from daily writs but a few more can't hurt.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think part of my feelings about the worth of hirelings would be that I tend to notice only the standard mats, like wood or ore, I tend to forget that I also get improvement mats. So it's a bias that I think that the hirelings aren't worth the points but if you get a few higher level improvement mats, it's certainly worth the points.

I've never considered a provisioning hireling, usually thinking how easy it is to get food and drink mats but then I guess they should also send the occasional purple ingredient. I get those from daily writs but a few more can't hurt.

Personally I find the provisioning hireling to be one of the more valuable ones out there. I get the bervez juice and frost mirriam (purple items) quite often, and you can make decent gold selling them in the guild stores or crafting the purple CP150 food/drink with them and selling those in the traders. Also, you're pretty much guaranteed 10/ea x 2 ingredients of the provisioning supplies that basically make looting containers for provisioning ingredients unnecessary to maintain your stock.

On the other hand, if you don't have ESO+, the provisioning hireling will make short work of filling up your inventory and bank space!
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Personally I find the provisioning hireling to be one of the more valuable ones out there. I get the bervez juice and frost mirriam (purple items) quite often, and you can make decent gold selling them in the guild stores or crafting the purple CP150 food/drink with them and selling those in the traders. Also, you're pretty much guaranteed 10/ea x 2 ingredients of the provisioning supplies that basically make looting containers for provisioning ingredients unnecessary to maintain your stock.

On the other hand, if you don't have ESO+, the provisioning hireling will make short work of filling up your inventory and bank space!

I added 3/3 to the provisioning hireling for my main and 2nd crafter, got a few basic food/drink ingredients. In most cases I have over 1000 of each item, someday I will join a trading guild and sell. I'm in 2 guilds but one is dedicated to fishing, the other to houses, both have guild traders most of the time but they aren't in prime locations.

I'll plan on getting the hireling on other characters but they are not crafters and only have a few levels in most crafting skills. Don't know why the provisioning hireling can't be unlocked until level 28 (IIRC) but I'll work on leveling them up, even if they won't be "professional" crafters.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I added 3/3 to the provisioning hireling for my main and 2nd crafter, got a few basic food/drink ingredients. In most cases I have over 1000 of each item, someday I will join a trading guild and sell. I'm in 2 guilds but one is dedicated to fishing, the other to houses, both have guild traders most of the time but they aren't in prime locations.

I'll plan on getting the hireling on other characters but they are not crafters and only have a few levels in most crafting skills. Don't know why the provisioning hireling can't be unlocked until level 28 (IIRC) but I'll work on leveling them up, even if they won't be "professional" crafters.

Leveling to that is fairly simple, especially if you have a stockpile. Burning a skill point at level 20 helps speed the latter part up as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭

Leveling to that is fairly simple, especially if you have a stockpile. Burning a skill point at level 20 helps speed the latter part up as well.

The skill points are the issue for many of my low level characters, I’ve got time to dedicate to 1 and sometimes another character, the low levels don’t have any free SP.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The skill points are the issue for many of my low level characters, I’ve got time to dedicate to 1 and sometimes another character, the low levels don’t have any free SP.

I completely understand your pain, with most of my 16 characters still leveling crafting with themselves. But getting a single skill point is not hard at all since you only have to get to 3 skyshards.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or we could just meet them in the field and Beat the Materials out of them and Order them to continue the results or we will kill their character.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭

I completely understand your pain, with most of my 16 characters still leveling crafting with themselves. But getting a single skill point is not hard at all since you only have to get to 3 skyshards.

I used to have the energy to play with multiple characters. Four months ago I got hit with some mystery illness, ended up in the ER 5 times in 6 weeks. I’ve had many dozens of tests but no diagnosis. I’m slowly getting better but I still get wiped out even playing for more than an hour.

I’m not mentioning this for any other reason than to point out that I used to spend many hours gaming, I’m lucky if I have time and energy/stamina to play one or two characters a week. Before this hit I was rebuilding a racing ***, it’s sits partially disassembled, a monument to how little I can do these days.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    or we could just meet them in the field and Beat the Materials out of them and Order them to continue the results or we will kill their character.

That’s some pretty dark humor. I figure the hirelings are working hard, they just have so many clients.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree.gif
    How exactly did we "hire" them in the first place?

They've been working for free since beta ...
    huh.gif

• Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    agree.gif
    How exactly did we "hire" them in the first place?

They've been working for free since beta ...
    huh.gif

Yeah, I can’t imagine they have any uses for a few skill points. Pacrooti though probably brings home a decent amount, I think he gets a cut from Crown sales.