Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

My Battle Mage Build

rhubbert_ESO
rhubbert_ESO
✭✭✭
I conceived of this build before early access and decided to go for it. So far I love it, and it is cool to be sort of unique. I have not seen anyone else casting Storm Calling abilities in Heavy Armor. I am level 14 and have not yet died after doing over 60 quests and exploring all of Stonefalls. I have ideas for a final build focusing on a tank/DPS hybrid for PVE. In my dungeon ruins I have been able to tank as well as deal incredible amounts of damage without much problem. Let me know what you think or if you have suggestions.

<script>var esohead_skillcalc = { "hash": "cMarx0wAvw8AIQB8NiaF8wAEk8AIPq8AGoP8080808080808T7NMrqAi6zrqAZ6MrqLw8x7iLsfd6Asfr6zwGN16MwGAR6zwGAs8H7RbzwM6mbHm6zNieT8K7bdkg6qzuN6rzun8zM7VzgcoS6zgkvQ" }</script><script src="http://esohead.com/js/skill-calc-embed.min.js"></script&gt;

Iris Umbra// Stamina Nightblade // Aldmeri Dominion
  • Gonks
    Gonks
    Only problem with that is you lose the damage bonus passives from light and medium armor combo, and i can recommend using a bow as your weapon. Currently running that with sorcerer, and it opens up a stamina pool for abilities when you are magicka starved. Just some ideas
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My primary role is a tank though, and with heavy armor and almost all attribute points in health I am able to take a lot of damage while still dishing out a ton. I have not had any resource issues so far.
  • Chidori
    Chidori
    How is Overload doing with melee weapons? I am considering daggers & medium armor with lightning.
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    I posted a build similar to this on reddit about a 2 weeks ago, I was trying to build a dark age of camelot-style Thane. Looks cool, but I don't understand how you're tanking without a taunt. I'd honestly go one way or the other, but I guess great minds think alike because I built one just like this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/ESObuilds/comments/2155d5/eso_sorc2h_melee_thane/

I think at lvl 50 you'll probably be forced to go one way or the other, sword and board or medium armor depending on whether you go DPS or tank. Still, glad to hear it's fun to play!

• enubis99
    enubis99
    Have you tried tanking instances with this build, say for example spindleclutch?
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @Chidori‌ I use two-handers. Keep in mind that overload turns your attacks into a new form. You don't have the weapons or animations. It looks like your hands are shooting lightning. The ult is the best part of this build.
    @gimmethecreepsb14_ESO‌ I will be using the Undaunted taunt once I unlock it. I have been an offtank/dps without taunts so far.
    @enubis99 I have had success running instances with a main sword and board tank, myself, a dps/healer, and a main healer. We made it through the lower level instances without much trouble. I think it is a mistake to try and apply the "trinity" to this game.
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Here is my final plan:
    http://tinyurl.com/pqjuxcc
  • syris
    syris
    I'm doing similar but not going tank. I'm running heavy armor duel wield and dishing out damage is easy as it gets. The survivability of the heavy armor with the damage of duel wield and mage go well together but I'm on curious how well it will work in pvp. I'll just haft to wait till I test it out.
  • Chidori
    Chidori
    @syris & @rhubbert_ESO Why not the medium armor for higher dmg?
    Dont think the heavy armor for survival is needed?
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, no cool name? Build is incomplete, thats the most important part!
    The Psijic Order
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Chidori wrote: »
    @syris & @rhubbert_ESO Why not the medium armor for higher dmg?
    Dont think the heavy armor for survival is needed?
    Because I want to tank with this build. The taunts in this game do not hold that much weight. CC is great for holding aggro on mobs, and taunts can work on bosses a little but many bosses shake off taunts and aggro random people. Everyone needs some tankiness but I have elected to be extremely tanky because it suits my play style.
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Im running a similar build and having a blast really fun. Crystal fragment is a must for this type of play imo.
    Why would I need crystal fragments? My build is all about empowering my basic attacks and mitigating damage. When I have Thundering Presence activated (for 9 seconds) I get +600 base spell resist and armor which is already soft capped with the gear I have (I'm level 18). When I use Critical Surge along with Rally I will be able to use Stampede for critical hits that restore health, and my basic weapon attacks will be doing insane damage. Pop the Power Overload ultimate and I will be able to disintegrate everything. I ran Spindleclutch the other days with some guild mates and was able to take out all 15 adds in the final fight with Power Overload heavy attack. It is my favorite ability in the game. I believe the damage increase will stack with Critical Surge and Rally.

• sunherd
    sunherd
    Soul Shriven
    I have a battle mage build too going, although I'm thinking about a more PvP-centric approach.

But I was starting to feel (at lvl 10), that the build would not fill any special niche, but instead would be quite average at all of them. Now, when I have read this, I think differently again :)

What kind of thoughts do you have magicka/health/stamina -wise? At this point I've put mostly my points to magicka; some to health; none to stamina. This is the difficult part perhaps. It's hard for me to say what I need the most.
  • Bounee
    Bounee
    ... Power Overload heavy attack. It is my favorite ability in the game. I believe the damage increase will stack with Critical Surge and Rally.
    Source: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67142/sorcerer-ability-synergy-questions
    Teloran wrote: »
    Surge boosts the weapon damage stat. Nothing more. Overload, and all other ultimates, scale with spell damage and NOT weapon damage. No ability in the game scales with both. That said, you still gain healing from the Critical Surge morph.
    I switched to Storm Atronach because of the stun - I use it mostly as oh *** button...
    Edited by Bounee on April 14, 2014 9:39AM
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    sunherd wrote: »
    What kind of thoughts do you have magicka/health/stamina -wise?
    I am Level 35 and I have put all but 7 in health. I enchant all my heavy armor with stamina and magicka boosts and have lots of cost reductions passives and jewelry.