Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Deconstructing Furniture

Ertosi
Ertosi
✭✭✭✭✭
Please consider allowing us to deconstruct furniture. Obviously furniture deconstruction shouldn't return all of the materials that went into making it, but it could be set up like weapons and armor where you at least get back some of each resource. It could be set up so items could only be deconstructed at the appropriate type of crafting station that makes them.

It would provide a nice alternative to trying to sell unused furnishings to other players or NPC vendor.

What do others think of this idea?
PC NA @Ertosi
♠♦ My Team ♥♣
GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
DruStamplar
TicklesHealplar
DixieMagplar
FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
MayaStamblade Speedster
AhmedMagblade Bomber
BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
TanksStamDK Tank
MonaMagDK Fire Mage
DawnHPDK
BearlyStamden Tank
IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
♌ DC Loyalist ♌
✄ Grand Master Crafter
No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furniture isn't like weapons and armour, as very little of it drops in regular play. It also gets placed into instanced homes, where it doesn't cause any issues for other players.

Deconstruction of weapons and armour meets a need of removing surplus drops from the general game world, by providing an incentive for the players to do that. I don't even see a need for furniture to be sold, except to add to the general economy.

I just keep one house as a warehouse, and dump things there if I replace them. I have reached a kind of equilibrium with that, where I'm retrieving as much as I dump. Even low-grade stuff that's been replaced by more opulent instances gets re-used as clutter, or re-purposed as something completely different.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why should our only option for unwanted furniture be to either vendor it, store it, or try and sell it on guild traders? That bedroll I crafted back when the quest to obtain your free inn room was actually a quest is just sitting there, unused. I could vendor it or try to sell it to another player, but why can't I just decon it for a few mats?

We get so much trash gear in the game that vendoring is largely what most people do, but you can still decon it all. So, why shouldn't we be able to do this with furniture we've created? We can certainly do so with gear we've created that we don't want anymore.

It should be limited to items that are not BOP, obviously. Perhaps even to the items we've crafted, though they'd have to add that tag to the coding.

Just because you don't mind dumping things in a house, doesn't mean that everyone wants to keep a house as just a dumping ground. Nor do they want to hang on to things "just in case" it might fit somewhere else. We can vendor them and sell them on guild traders - why not also be able to decon for a few mats?
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on October 19, 2018 7:26PM
  • Higuchi
    Higuchi
    ✭✭
    Totally support the idea!!! Would be great to decon these all. Worth considering, dear developers ;D
    NA Server 📚 MacOS 🐾
    Naofumí The Arcanist / Goellean (gameID: @Alien.101)
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think this is a great idea, especially as the concept of housing and furnishing has progressed significantly since the launch of player housing. Many players will have upgraded their homes and most likely switched furnishing style from their original choice. It would be incredibly useful if style stones and some of the furnishing materials could be regained through deconstruction.

It’s worth remembering that a lot of players will find endless grinding for mundane runes, etc., too time consuming (or just not interesting), and the price is high for those who do not engage in trade.

Someone above made the point that furnishings do not drop as frequently as weapons, armour, etc. But you know, it wouldn’t hurt to have more frequent drops of furniture and furnishing blueprints. So many players now have a home and space to fill up!
  • WolfStar07
    WolfStar07
    ✭✭✭
    I've crafted items that it turns out don't work in the space I wanted for it. Or even items that don't look as expected (before you could preview). I'd rather get those mats back, especially since selling furniture is a gamble.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wanting the ability to decon Furniture for a whiiiiiiiiile now. Sometimes you make something and it's too big or too small, or it doesn't work like you thought it would, or it just gets cycled out. Why not be able to decon the stuff we don't need or want, like we can with gear? You can always break down a shirt back into raw thread, or a bedframe back into lumber, or a well into separate bricks.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While running the Elsweyr prologue dailies and getting all the Khajiit furnishings I keep thinking how great it would be to have the option to deconstruct them.

And again, deconstructing furnishings should never give back full materials. No, no, no. It should just give you a small change of getting some of each material that went into it back, just like deconstructing any other item (weapons, armor, jewelry).
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I want to be able to do that as well, especially with the bound furniture that I no longer need because I learned how to make it or just don't have use for it.

I would like to get some mats, like the style material and some specific ingredient, like hardwood.

Dumping the furniture into some warehouse make no sense after a while, because you start to get more and more stuff.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Breathing life into this thread to add my plea to let us decon furniture for whatever we can get out of it.

I can't think that this would be so difficult, as the system for deconning armor, weapons and jewelry is already there. We should definitely be able to decon items we have constructed ourselves, and also ones we bought in the crown store that are bound to our account.

I have a couple of houses that are filled with furniture I no longer will use because I either didn't like them after constructing them or my skill and pattern library has grown to where I can make much nicer pieces. Sure, I can unload them in the guild store for peanuts but I'd rather be able to go decon them for materials and the odd temper etc. We shouldn't have to sell them cheap unless we want to, or have to destroy them for nothing just to get them out of inventory.

Please plan this into an update soon!
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this.
    All the craftable stuff should be deconstructable either. Odds of successful mats drops should be similar to the odds of gear deconstruction and/or related to the char's crafting skills.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why not? I’m putting blue and even purple improvement mats into a lot of furniture just like in armor and weapons, and I could sure use some of them back.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Mysanne
    Mysanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes please ! It's a good idea.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about upgrades as an alternative? Rework a plain bed into a canopy one, by adding extra material, or a plain chair into a padded one?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    How about upgrades as an alternative? Rework a plain bed into a canopy one, by adding extra material, or a plain chair into a padded one?

That’s a good idea, but might be hard to implement because the two recipes (the original one and the upgrade) would have to be very similar in type and materials I think. For instance, you’d have to upgrade the regular Khajiit bed to the Khajiit canopy bed only. That seems like it would be too limiting to be very useful. I can’t think of many recipes that fit that criteria. When I think about how the game would handle comparing the recipes, it would get complicated really fast.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ertosi wrote: »
    Please consider allowing us to deconstruct furniture.

I think it's a reasonable idea though one that would require extensive planning and implementation time.
    For all furnishings without a furnishing plan, they'd need to decide which craft and what mats to drop.
    For all furnishings with a furnishing plan, part of that work is done, so the next step would be to code in the decon station a check that you have all the required skills -- furnishings often require more than one crafting skill line -- and allow it to drop the proper mats. (Otherwise I think they'd let you get a rune or two from an item that had a glyph in it … but they don't).

Not an unreasonable idea and not an impossible situation.

If they were to move ahead with this idea, maybe they could consolidate all furnishing-crafting into a single new type of station, like a "workshop", where you only make furnishings and all your plans are available in one place, nicely sorted by type.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 30, 2019 10:05PM
  • rasdasa
    rasdasa
    ✭✭
    Deconstructing seems pretty logical too.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ertosi wrote: »
    Please consider allowing us to deconstruct furniture. Obviously furniture deconstruction shouldn't return all of the materials that went into making it, but it could be set up like weapons and armor where you at least get back some of each resource. It could be set up so items could only be deconstructed at the appropriate type of crafting station that makes them.

It would provide a nice alternative to trying to sell unused furnishings to other players or NPC vendor.

What do others think of this idea?

It'd be a good idea, we could get some of our rare materials, like mundane runes, back in this way. I frequently make furnishings that end up not being placed, because, for instance, my plans for the decorations changed, and storing them or selling them is not always an option due to slot space constrains, or because they are items from well-known recipes, that won't sell quickly. I guess the ones made in alchemy stations won't have that option, but it'd be great if we could have it for the other crafts.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, would be nice as well if u could "deconstruct/sent back" crown store furniture.
    Not getting the full price back, but something like 33% of it or something. ^^
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @actosh Send back crown store furniture?! That is delusion, mate. It will never happen.
    I, as many others, will be more than happy if ZOS just allows us to deconstruct furniture (bought or crafted).
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    actosh wrote: »
    I like the idea, would be nice as well if u could "deconstruct/sent back" crown store furniture.

I've never bought crown store furniture before. You can only convert Crown Crate drops to crown gems?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    actosh wrote: »

I've never bought crown store furniture before. You can only convert Crown Crate drops to crown gems?

Correct, @Dusk_Coven.

For example, the Resplendent Sweetroll will convert to 400 gems ... if you don’t want to use it as a furnishing.
  • MechanicalMudcrab
    MechanicalMudcrab
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, I would love to see furniture deconstruction.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was thinking the same thing
    We often get excess furniture that we have to find room for or destroy. Would be nice to deconstruct it. Plants and trees can then return wood and alchemy mats. Items that are not craftable can simply be labled as non deconstructable
    Edited by volkeswagon on April 16, 2020 10:30PM
  • skullberry
    skullberry
    Soul Shriven
    Especially with the new antiquities, this would be very valuable. I have 4 Spellscar Shards from Craglorn, and since they're bound and worth 0 gold I either have to store them or destroy them if I don't want to display them. It would be nice to get some value out of furnishings that aren't wanted.