Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Minor Feature Suggestion for Crafting Stations

niteowl57
niteowl57
Soul Shriven
While my character is at a Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Clothing, or Jewelry station and using either the Deconstruction tab or Improvement tab, I would love a checkbox or dropdown option to view (character) Inventory Only or View All (both bank and character inventory).
  • thermatico
    thermatico
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are fortunate enough to be on PC you can use the FCO Craft Filter addon. This adds an icon to crafting stations. It allows to switch between bag/bank/both inventory. I've been using it a while and it works great.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1104-FCOCraftFilterHidebankhideinventory.html
  • niteowl57
    niteowl57
    Soul Shriven
    You just made my day. Yes, I am on PC and have looked for an addon, but I didn't find that one. I have it now! It works and it is exactly what I have wanted for ages. This eleminates my top annoyance with the game. You're awesome, thank you so much.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The greatest improvement to the crafting stations would be this: let me see that daily writ or master writ quest info while interacting with it. I have the relevant quest active and can see the quest info on the top right of my screen as I approach the crafting table, but as soon as I click the button for the crafting station, that area on the screen is a big empty space. I can’t see what I need to craft, only what I have crafted once I’m done.

I’m on console, I don’t know if your PC add-ons help you, but they won’t work for me.

I have several laminated pieces of paper for each possible daily crafting writ that I keep handy and pull them out when needed, and write each master writ down on paper when I get it. None of that would be necessary if that info stayed on screen while crafting.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who have no access to addons, there is a little Bag or Bank icon next to the item to denote where it is.

However, if you have something you want to keep, Lock it. You can lock from the Crafting Window if you discover something you want to keep.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    niteowl57 wrote: »
    While my character is at a Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Clothing, or Jewelry station and using either the Deconstruction tab or Improvement tab, I would love a checkbox or dropdown option to view (character) Inventory Only or View All (both bank and character inventory).

I would add to this request for the PS4. I sometimes want to clear out my own bags, but not my bank. (Occasionally the reverse.)

This would be quite helpful.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several laminated pieces of paper for each possible daily crafting writ that I keep handy and pull them out when needed, and write each master writ down on paper when I get it. None of that would be necessary if that info stayed on screen while crafting.

The key with the daily writs is to memorize the corresponding crafts' required pieces for each day of the rotation, rather than try to remember what day in the rotation your characters are.... Yep, that totally made no sense so let me explain further. *(Note: the following info is true for all characters on my account, but I suppose it's possible it doesn't line up for everyone, but here goes)

Daily writs:
    1. If (BS = dagger/helm/pauldron) then (Clothing = bracers/helm/arm cops) and (WW = shield/x2 bow) and (Jewelry = ring/necklace)
    2. If (BS = greatsword/sabatons/gauntlets) then (Clothing = shoes/hat/sash) and (WW = inferno/ice/lightning staves) and (Jewelry = x2 necklace)
    3. If (BS = sword/cuirass/greaves) then (Clothing = robe/breeches/epaulets) and (WW = shield/x2 resto staff) and (Jewelry = x3 ring)

All my characters follow that same exact rotation and corresponding writs, but my 12 characters are not all on the same rotation. So, on any given day I may have three characters doing rotation 1, five characters on rotation 2, and the remaining four characters doing rotation 3. You characters will always cycle through the rotations on a 1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 1 --> etc. assuming you do writs every day.

My point is, if you remember the corresponding stuff across the professions it makes it a lot easier. I always start with blacksmithing so whatever the daily writ requests for that one, I already know what the rest will be without looking.

Regarding the master writs. The simplest method I've come up with is to just take a picture of the TV with my phone and use that for reference when I'm doing the writ. Saves a lot of time rather than writing it down, and I can just delete the picture when I'm done.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Feric51 I don’t think trying to memorize daily writs is a good idea for me. There is too much chaos in the crafting area: players milling around, pets in the way, lots of dueling nearby, and sometimes dueling in the crafting area itself, that it would be too easy to mess up and waste mats. My flashcards are handy, but my point is why isn’t that info available to me in-game when crafting?

I can’t believe no one else thinks this is a valid improvement to crafting. There is plenty of space in that big empty area on my screen to display either the daily writ quest info or the master writ info, the same info I can see when not interacting with the crafting station. In fact, why can I only see that when not at the crafting station???
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    The key with the daily writs is to memorize the corresponding crafts' required pieces for each day of the rotation

I just read the 1st requested item of the writ, I remember the others items. There aren't many rotations, which it helps to make the crafting quicker.
    There is plenty of space in that big empty area on my screen to display either the daily writ quest info or the master writ info

I wish this was something we could choose to turn on/off, because I'd like to keep my screen as clean as possible.

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would like both ideas above.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Feric51 I don’t think trying to memorize daily writs is a good idea for me. There is too much chaos in the crafting area: players milling around, pets in the way, lots of dueling nearby, and sometimes dueling in the crafting area itself, that it would be too easy to mess up and waste mats. My flashcards are handy, but my point is why isn’t that info available to me in-game when crafting?

I can’t believe no one else thinks this is a valid improvement to crafting. There is plenty of space in that big empty area on my screen to display either the daily writ quest info or the master writ info, the same info I can see when not interacting with the crafting station. In fact, why can I only see that when not at the crafting station???

I agree it would be a nice QOL improvement if it would show what the writ is I need to perform in the crafting screen instead of going away.

Another big area this would help with is master writs where you have to make a very specific item. Generally I do a bunch of master writs at a time and just take pictures with my phone so I don't have to back out and recheck what exactly I need to make.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say this is the only game I play with a spreadsheet open to alt-tab to and with a pen and pad by my keyboard lol
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is important to a lot of players but they aren't necessarily here on the forums. The people who would mostly benefit from having all the info on the screen, I believe, are console players. We don't have addons to display stuff for us or give us one- button functionality, etc. It's been my experience that most of the players in thus forum are PC players. PC players who have access to and use add-ons aren't going to care about the same things as console players. I'm sure there are also PC players here who would like to see more information on the game screen when it comes to regular and master writs. But I don't think a lot of them are reading and posting in these forums. Just my opinion based on what I've seen in the forums; I could be wrong. 😃

Personally, I have the daily writs pretty much memorized like a few people have mentioned. What would help me is a display showing what the master writ I'm working on needs. I do master writs in bunches and don't accept the writ until I'm turning it in. It would be helpful to me to keep the writ's information displayed on the screen when the writ was selected in my inventory. Tell me the set, style, trait, and color the piece needs to be for BS, WW, and Clothing. Leave out the style for Jewelry. For Alchemy give me the name of the thing I'm making and the three attributes it needs to have along with how many. Enchanting, name and color of glyph. Provisioning, recipe name and quantity. Keep this info on the screen when I select the crafting station and as I move through the different crafting screens. There's plenty of room to display this information, and there should also be an option to turn it off for people who don't want to see it. Again, just my opinion here.
    Edited by LadySinflower on August 7, 2019 5:15PM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @katanagirl1

I just want to be clear I wasn't poo-pooing your idea at all. I believe it is one that has merit and I would definitely use it if it were available. I was simply giving an option to use in the meantime until if/when they ever make those QoL changes. Which, if I'm being honest (pessimistic), I don't see happening.

As I said, the memorization of corresponding writs wasn't something I set out intentionally to do, it just happened over several months/years of doing daily writs on 8+ characters.

Mirroring @LadySinflower 's comments regarding master writs. Having the same feature as you're requesting for daily writs apply to master writs would be great IF you're the type who "accepts > crafts > turns in > accepts >crafts" etc.
    I, like LSF, stockpile 10-30 master writs and craft them all at once then just cycle through "accept > turn in" for all the writs at once. Having the quest-tracker dialog present while interacting with the crafting station doesn't improve the situation in cases like this. I'm also on console so can't alt+tab to some spreadsheet to track them, which is why I just take a picture of the writ(s) with my phone and then delete the photo once I've crafted the item, that way I don't make duplicate items on accident.

Also, worth noting, I created a spreadsheet for all possible alchemy master writs based on active effects and included one set of ingredients (some can be made from multiple combinations of ingredients so I just chose the easiest and/or cheapest combination). The spreadsheet includes a column for both the potion and poison variants, and I printed out a hard copy. Now when I stockpile/buy a hoard of alchemy master writs I will tally up how many of each I have, then can craft everything in bulk (which will be a lot easier with the next update's bulk crafting QoL change!!!!!) So far I've used solely alchemy master writs to level 2 characters from 3-50, and this spreadsheet has been a life saver.

TL;DR - I agree with your idea that the crafting interface could use some QoL changes, but I have made my own adjustments to make life easier on myself in the meantime.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pdblake wrote: »
    I must say this is the only game I play with a spreadsheet open to alt-tab to and with a pen and pad by my keyboard lol

And this is a huge flaw, especially for a console game.

I can work on the computer that is right next to the TV I normally play on, but it is a real pain to do so. All needed things should be integrated into the game.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Feric51 I didn’t mean you specifically, though you proposed another workaround and didn’t seem too much bothered with the current state. I saw a lot of responses for the post about wanting the writ to tell you whether you met all the requirements to do it, and not much activity here, and this seems to be more of a basic need than that. Like pointed out above, the info comes up when the writ is accepted but only stays onscreen for maybe 3 seconds. In that time, I quickly try to verify that everything is set up correctly before I press square to craft.

Personally, I do master writs each day because I don’t like making multiple trips to Rolis (if I don’t have to) since you can only have one of each MW type quest done. I like the confirmation when the item is crafted that I did it correctly, so I don’t want to do them in bulk for that reason either.

Thanks all of you for commenting so I know I’m not the only one bothered by the lack of info available for crafting writs, especially MW, which could make a costly mistake for someone like me who just started doing daily writs on multiple alts and doesn’t have a lot of the more costly crafting mats and especially style mats.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on August 8, 2019 5:15AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to chant the requirements over and over while I'm going through Refine/Research/Deconstruct. I tend to get a bit tongue-tied with Shoes-Sash-Hat, though.

I think this would be more useful for Master Writs as they're a bit more complicated but I guess a lot of the game is designed to slow you down a little and keep you in it for longer or, in my case, give you plenty of to-and-fro to make sure you're definitely not going to mess everything up. This approach is occasionally successful.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GenjiraX wrote: »
    I have to chant the requirements over and over while I'm going through Refine/Research/Deconstruct. I tend to get a bit tongue-tied with Shoes-Sash-Hat, though.

I think this would be more useful for Master Writs as they're a bit more complicated but I guess a lot of the game is designed to slow you down a little and keep you in it for longer or, in my case, give you plenty of to-and-fro to make sure you're definitely not going to mess everything up. This approach is occasionally successful.

Having the daily crafting needs highlighted would be another great QoL improvement.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭

I repeat it to myself as Shoes-Hat-Sash if that helps. That's also the order the items appear in when you're in the crafting menu.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jlb1705 wrote: »

I repeat it to myself as Shoes-Hat-Sash if that helps. That's also the order the items appear in when you're in the crafting menu.

I do the same thing. It would be great if it could somehow prioritize what you need for active quests!
    PC
    PS4/PS5