Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

A Rookies Request

Lermond
Lermond
Soul Shriven
Hello!

I'm a new to ESO and as such I would have a few questions. Some might seem a bit of foolish but I hope you'll endure them with me while we search for the right answer.

First things first, if you have any tips and tricks that you believe a rookie must/should know please feel free to add it. If you prefer to chat IG or Discord/TS feel free to invite me or ask me for an invite as long as it is in SLO/GER or ENG language.

Shall we being? As said earlier I am new to ESO, started a few days ago on a request of a friend of mine. I run at the moment the “Basic Game” + Morrowind.

Is there any class&race combination that would be recommended? I would prefer something that is durable if a manner of speaking. Can tank yet still deal damage well enough? I was told “Ice” Warden would be a good choice with Nord’s as Race, thoughts?
I admit I like the old Cleric in Aion very much, could take on Bosses on my own. Usually I played Healer/Support roles or dps.

Apart from the character creation, what should I do first? I already noticed that I seem to lack skill like “persuasion/intimidation” during conversation options. After some research I was left to believe that at least 1 of these skills I could learn by joining a NPC Guild (Mage Guild).

I have as well little clue about material, it seem that basic ones are to be picked left and right from urns, boxes and alike. I am fairly sure my inventory was full after 30min of gameplay lol … in the end I destroyed all that had no value; I only kept ores that I mined.
Is there any rule on what to keep and what to sell/trash? As well as a “global“ market where I could sell it for more than the normal NPC vendors offer? I did notice that some items have a “bonus” value if sold to NPC vendors as well as some weapons and armor seem to have some bonus of 280% if “picked apart”. I am not sure on how it is called but I believe it has to do with smithing and gaining materials from those items.
On that note, what gear should I aim for? So far I used what I got from the main Camp. Q. and which is for the most part green or blue. I came as well across “runes” but there use eluded me. Just like with gathering “herbs” where I was unable to see any bonuses that were given just question marks.

Since I mentioned gear, are there any rare spawns or mini-bosses that can be solo’ed or done in a duo for some reasonable rewards? I so far found some treasure chest while exploring, they had different difficulties but in the end gave 3 items, which were mostly green (I am under lvl 20). Some seem to have a fixed location but sadly the more “advanced” ones gave me quite some trouble, not sure if there is a way to increase my lock picking skill, if there is one?

While exploring I noticed as well this “Dark Anchors”, is that something I can join in as a beginner?

And at last, is there any option to mark NPC’s Professions, I admit I am sometimes confused when I am looking for a spec. type of NPC yet none carries a tittle like I am used from other MMO’s.

If you are reading this final note, than I thank you for enduring me till the very end, best regards Lermond!
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Anchors are very easy and you should join some as a beginner. It is a good way to gain experience. The first time you do a particular one, e.g. in that particular location, you gain extra XP. You'll get a piece of jewelry on completion, which you can either use or decon to level your jewelry crafting.

Be sure to join both Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild NPC guilds. They will give you the Intimidate and Persuade passives respectively. Dark Anchors will level the Fighter's Guild, because it is levelled from killing Undead and Daedra.

Until you reach level 50 AND get to CP160 all your gear will be worthless. It won't fetch any gold to speak of in guild stores. Use what you find, but don't keep anything. Just deconstruct it as soon as you've outgrown it.

Certain plants are high value and may be worth selling, particularly Corn Flower.

Treasure chests only contain worthless crap for the most part. Still, as a beginner, every bit gold gold helps.

Start levelling your crafting professions sooner, rather than later. Start researching crafting traits, because it is a very long term endeavour. Even if you don't like crafting, you need this to take advantage of transmutation. Don't worry about what that means, just thank me later. Go to the Mage's and Fighter's guilds and find the NPCs that certify you for crafting writs. Do those every day. If / when you get gold quality materials, those are high value and worth selling.

World bosses will probably be beyond your reach to solo, but you can always participate when other people do them. Thing is, until you are level 50 and CP160+, the gear they drop will have no long term or monetary value.

Get a mount and start levelling your riding skills every day.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of a durable build, this game is honestly made so that any class can do that.

DKs are inherently tanky and favor blocking playstyles, however to do good damage you need to put in some work, e.g. you must develop at least a rudimentary rotation. Magicka and stamina DK works equally well.

Magicka templar is probably the easiest class to solo stuff with and can feel tanky af, even in light armor. I don't recommend stamina templar for you.

Magicka sorc is said to be easy for beginners, if you play a pet sorc. Stamina sorc requires more work. While it can be very good for soloing, it requires you to be disciplined with your buff rotation and I therefore do not recommend stamsorc.

Wardens have a lot of healing built into the class and tend to feel tanky on that account. Magicka is probably easier to start with than stamina. Any stamina solo character tends to rely on Vigor, which requires some PvP to get.

Nightblades can be quite tanky these days, if you use Swallow Soul and Dark Cloak. In terms of passives, though, they are squishy overall and I would not recommend.

(Ice) magicka warden would be fine, as would be pet sorc or magplar.

Magicka races:

Breton
    Altmer

Either / or races:

Dunmer
    Khajiit
    Argonian

Stamina races:

Nord
    Imperial
    Redguard
    Woodelf
    Orc
    Edited by fred4 on July 10, 2019 10:05AM
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lermond wrote: »
    Hello!

Welcome to ESO :)

I can't really answer about race/class choices as I'm still trying to figure out that part, but I can try and answer some of the other questions
    Apart from the character creation, what should I do first?

The tutorial you play through depends on whether you have base game only or any of the chapters (Morrowind, Summerset or Elsweyr): in that case you do the tutorial of the latest chapter you have.
    If you did the base game tutorial (the Wailing Prison) you should have found yourself in the starting zone of your alliance (either Stros M'Kai, Bleakrock Isle or Khenarthi's Roost), doing the story quests there leads you to the following zones until you get summoned to the Harborage, starting the main quest proper. I think you should do that first, as it makes most sense story wise to finish the main quest before doing the DLCs stories.
    If you did the tutorial of one of the chapters you should get a quest about a hooded figure as soon as you get to the first big zone in your alliance(mind that you have to go there actively, just following the quests lead you through the chapter story line), following this just starts the base game tutorial and the rest is the same as above.
    I already noticed that I seem to lack skill like “persuasion/intimidation” during conversation options. After some research I was left to believe that at least 1 of these skills I could learn by joining a NPC Guild (Mage Guild).

Intimidation and persuasion are skills that you get by joining the Fighters Guild (Intimidation) and the Mages Guild (Persuasion). I advice you to join both early on, so you can progress in them.
    Also, if you want to make a crafter (more on that later) you'll eventually have to finish both story lines, as they give access to specific crafting stations.
    I have as well little clue about material, it seem that basic ones are to be picked left and right from urns, boxes and alike. I am fairly sure my inventory was full after 30min of gameplay lol … in the end I destroyed all that had no value; I only kept ores that I mined.
    Is there any rule on what to keep and what to sell/trash? As well as a “global“ market where I could sell it for more than the normal NPC vendors offer? I did notice that some items have a “bonus” value if sold to NPC vendors as well as some weapons and armor seem to have some bonus of 280% if “picked apart”. I am not sure on how it is called but I believe it has to do with smithing and gaining materials from those items.

You can craft gear in crafting stations, there are four type of them: blacksmith stations allow you to craft weapons (except staves and bows) and heavy armours, clothing stations allow you to craft light and medium armours, woodworking stations allow you to craft staves, bows and shields and finally jewellery stations allow you to craft rings and necklaces.
    To craft any piece of equipment you need refined materials (the base one are iron, jute, maple and pewter for the stations I mentioned earlier, you refine the raw ore you get around the overworld at crafting stations, ten pieces of raw mats give seven-ten pieces of refined ones) and (with the exception of jewels) a style item, that determine the appearance of the piece (there's the basic races styles that you can buy from the crafting merchants, and a lot of others that you get from chests, quests and other activities), and an optional trait item that gives special properties to the piece (like giving more damage, more experience, lowering the cost of roll dodging and the like); there are two special traits that are "ornate", which means that the item is worth more when sold to merchants, and "intricate", which means that the item gives more inspiration (basically, crafting experience) when deconstructed, which is destroying the item to get experience and some of the material back.
    I came as well across “runes” but there use eluded me. Just like with gathering “herbs” where I was unable to see any bonuses that were given just question marks.

Runes are used to craft enchanting glyphs (look for an enchanting station in the major towns), that you can add to gear (there's three type of glyphs, for weapons, armor and jewellery), basically every rune is either a verb (like "raise", or "harm"), a target (like "health" or "stamina") or a quality (like "fine"), combining one of each creates a glyph of a certain level with an enchantement like raising max Magicka or Stamina regeneration or adding flame damage to your weapon. Using a particular rune for the first time translates it and its meaning replaces the question mark (there's a group of achievements tied to translating each rune).
    Same goes for the alchemy reagents, that are used to create potions or poisons, to craft them you need to find an alchemy station and combine a solvent (either water of various level for potions or various oils for poisons) and two (or later three) reagents. Each reagent has four effects, to craft a potion or poisons you have to mix reagents that have at least one effect in common (you can see it even non knowing the effects because when you pick the solven and both reagents in the station it say "unknown potion" as a result, whereas reagents with no effect in common will give "inert potion", and fail the crafting attempt). As per enchanting, using an effect for the first time discover it and replaces the question mark (there are achievements for discovering all of the effects, also).

There's also provisioning, that allow you to craft food (that temporarily raises your stats) and drinks (that raise your stats regeneration, also temporarily). To craft either food or drinks you need recipes that are sold by chefs and brewers and found in containers (mainly urns) and NPCs (either pickpocketing or looting the corpses) .

Crafting absorbs a lot of skill points, so be aware of that if you choose to make your main a crafter (I did, it's not that hard as there's a ton of skill points available, still it's something to consider).
    Also, don't split crafting among characters: I started splitting equipment and consumable crafting between two characters, it's not a good idea as many furniture recipes call for a wide range of skills
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If your primary focus is role-playing or questing, anything will do. That content is very easy and forgiving. You only need to think about optimising your build and race, if you are thinking long term and your main focus will be combat. In terms of difficulty:

Very easy: overland, questing, dolmens
    Easy: public delves, public dungeons, normal non-DLC dungeons, most world bosses, normal arenas, normal trials
    Medium: Craglorn instanced delves, Imperial City (PvE), vet non-DLC dungeons, normal DLC dungeons, some world bosses
    Hard: vet DLC dungeons
    Very hard: PvP, veteran arenas, veteran trials
  • Lermond
    Lermond
    Soul Shriven
    albesca wrote: »
    Crafting absorbs a lot of skill points, so be aware of that if you choose to make your main a crafter (I did, it's not that hard as there's a ton of skill points available, still it's something to consider).
    Also, don't split crafting among characters: I started splitting equipment and consumable crafting between two characters, it's not a good idea as many furniture recipes call for a wide range of skills
    So I should make a character dedicated to crafting? If so, wouldn't an Orc be the best option for you gain an increased crafting inspiration gain of 10%.
    Combined with ESO + it would be a 20% gain on crafting, no? Considering that all materials gathered can be shared via your account.
    About gathering/mining, does the lvl (Expert) affect what you can harvest, quality or amount wise? I did ore veins and got Iron Ore at the start but now I am getting as well up to 2-3 dif items with it.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Making your main your crafter is fine, he/she just means to say you will have to gather a lot of skill points and I mean a lot. If you quest, you will get a fair number of skill points from the main quest lines in each zone. If you don't quest and you want to actively play your main as well as be proficient in all crafting professions, be prepared to do the group event in every single public dungeon and collect every single skyshard in the game. Excluding Elsweyr, there are 429 of them.

It's fine. You'll do it over time and you'll have to travel the world for the Psijic skill line (if / when you get Summerset) and for the Mage's Guild as well. He's just saying to adjust your mindset for a long grind. Crafting is worth it, though. Some of the gear sets are good, even BIS in some builds, but crafting also affects transmutation, housing and outfits. The Alchemy Medicinal Use passive is mandatory for high-end gameplay and I couldn't live without making my own potions and glyphs. The Connoisseur and Gourmand passives will increase the duration of foods and drinks, some of which are expensive, particularly Mythic Aetherial Ambrosia.

As you level your various passives you will obtain higher level material from resources nodes and extract higher level tempers from refining.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't choose my race based on inspiration gain. There are two skill lines which level rather slowly, Enchanting and Jewelry Crafting. It could help with levelling those a bit quicker, but mjeh. It will do diddly squat for you after that.
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Making your main your crafter is fine, he/she just means to say you will have to gather a lot of skill points and I mean a lot. If you quest, you will get a fair number of skill points from the main quest lines in each zone. If you don't quest and you want to actively play your main as well as be proficient in all crafting professions, be prepared to do the group event in every single public dungeon and collect every single skyshard in the game. Excluding Elsweyr, there are 429 of them.

Exactly this.
    Lermond wrote: »
    So I should make a character dedicated to crafting? If so, wouldn't an Orc be the best option for you gain an increased crafting inspiration gain of 10%.
    Combined with ESO + it would be a 20% gain on crafting, no? Considering that all materials gathered can be shared via your account.

I wouldn't choose Orc for the 10% in inspiration alone, you'll have plenty of gear to decon and if you do the daily crafting writs you'll reach max level in each profession in little time; what's really time consuming in crafting is traits research and that's not tied to inspiration.
    About gathering/mining, does the lvl (Expert) affect what you can harvest, quality or amount wise? I did ore veins and got Iron Ore at the start but now I am getting as well up to 2-3 dif items with it.

Crafting materials have a character level range (Iron Ore is level 1-10, if memory serves) and a skill level (Iron ore is the first tier of blacksmithing), the materials node you find overland are 50% at your character level and 50% at your skill level: for example, one of my max level alts has no skill point in crafting, so the blacksmith node she finds are half rubedite (top tier) half iron (first tier).
    Every crafting node also has a chance to give you the relevant furnishing material (regulus for blacksmith, heartwood for woodworking, bast for clothing, ochre for jewellery, mundane rune for enchanting, alchemical resin for alchemy), so that accounts for the third item you sometimes get.
    Flower also have a chance to have crawlers or worms (used as bait for fishing) and blacksmith nodes sometimes give also jewellery crafting materials.
    Finally, some zones (off the top of my head Craglorn, Wrothgar, Hew's Bane, Vvardenfell, there may be others) also have a specific style (or trait, in case of Craglorn) material that you can find in any crafting node, usually in raw form that you refine
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on joining the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild as soon as you can. I'd add Undaunted, too, as even though you can't do the pledges to start with, you can grind up levels doing Bolgrul's delves. The passives are worth having.
  • Lermond
    Lermond
    Soul Shriven
    I'm back!

Thank you for the tips and tricks. Learned that crafting is slow and 400 pieces of ore are nothing. As well as that the main attribute increases damage if I am not mistaken. Seems as if I use food for Magic Amount my Dps goes up.

Now I’ve been trying out classes and was wondering which 1 would be more recommended for a Tank Build DK or Warden? The less skills I need to worry about the better.
    I was as well wondering what rotation and build to use for lvl'ing and what for »end« tanking? Most guides out there are all about endgame which are of no real help to me as a beginner. Considering that I need to pick skill for spec. lines and have them on my skill bar so they lvl up. As such as far as skills go I have no clue what to pick or morph, the lack of skill slots makes it rather confusing.

P.s.: If not mistaken pets summoned will be unsummoned if you switch your skill bar, no?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct, @Lermond, pets have to be slotted on both bars ... including the Warden bear.

DK is the go-to classic tank class. Wardens are also very effective for their buffing capabilities as a tank.

There are beginner guides for tanks out there. You just have to look a little bit. My personal favorite is the site @Woeler has put together ... which also happens to be the first search result on Google.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 17, 2019 2:50AM
  • Lermond
    Lermond
    Soul Shriven
    Responding a bit late, but I've been caught up in the game : P
    Correct, @Lermond, pets have to be slotted on both bars ... including the Warden bear.

DK is the go-to classic tank class. Wardens are also very effective for their buffing capabilities as a tank.

There are beginner guides for tanks out there. You just have to look a little bit. My personal favorite is the site @Woeler has put together ... which also happens to be the first search result on Google.
    Funny fact, I was already using the above linked guide as my basic. The prob. I have at the given moment is my damage. I am closing on lvl 40 and the solo game-play is becoming rather annoying. While I was able to do "Battlegrounds", capture the flag I believe, without dying once or tanking zone/dungeon bosses without much trouble, solo grinding became a nightmare.

I did as well try out the Magic Sorc, but felt way to squishy with light armor. Might have played it wrong, but my HP just melted.

Trying NB now with a Stamina Dps Build. Mainly coz I got ESO+ and would like to try out stealing and the Thief's Guild + Dark Brotherhood... oh and YES! Finally I can craft jewels lol

While I felt that crafting prog. would be slow, I realized that it only is if you "craft", much faster and easier to just break down gear and with the DK I had no trouble getting groups for public dungeons where I was able to collect plenty pieces of gear.

Next up I'll try the Magic Templar with focus on Healing. Was told you could still deal pretty good damage with it and many here recommended it as the easiest class to go with.

However I still don't understand the Warden very well. A mix of tank and dps is what I wanted it to be but ... well. More important questions:

- When I do refine ore, I get "special" items (jewels like Bloodstone, Amethyst), do I save them up or trow them away. The bonuses seem pretty low, unsure if they scale or not?
    - As i gathered ore and alike, ingots started to build up, not to mention the deconstruction goodies. I started to sell it to NPC vendors but was wondering if I could have made better money if sold it to "players"?
    - I am not sure how the guild system works, but if not mistaken you can join 5 "Player" Guilds? Should I be looking for one? As well as what does it mean to have a min. sell of 20k or such? Saw that often with "trading" guilds?
    - Mounts, was told to lvl speed first, by going to the "Horse Manage"r and feed it once a day?
    - What about pets, are they only for decoration?
    - Crowns, any suggestion on what to spend them or what would be the most reasonable?
    - Treasure chests, does the dif. lvl define the loot value? I seem to mainly find Simple or Inte.dif.on them. On occasion I find Advanced or Master. However it did feel like those gave much better rewards in numbers as well as quality.
    - Any add-on I should be using?
    - Finally, fishing is there anything special about it or just for "fun" and provision materials?

Best Regards, Lermond!
  • l0wolfeyez0l
    I just trashed a magsorc for the same reason- to squishy. Right now I'm playing around with a MagTemp, altho my focus is mainly DPS.
    1- don't trash the gems you're getting from deconstructing. You'll need those for when you start crafting gear to be able to put bonuses on them. I learn this list in the hard way lol. Anything you get from deconstructing or collecting (ore runes and such) can always be sold to other players. You'll have to be a part of a guild with a guild store to do so though.
    2- as far as mounts go, what you level first should be your preference. Personally I go for the bag space, cuz I'm a hoarder lol If you plan on PVP then speed is probably the best bet.
    Add-ons are totally up to you and there's a ton out there. There's mini map add-ons, UI editors, menu expansion add-ons, basically anything you could think of wanting. I use a client called minion to manage and download all the ones I use.
  • Isojukka
    Isojukka
    ✭✭✭
    Eso since Xbox launch and switched over to pc 1/2019.