The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Healer-Dead Role

skipsarg
skipsarg
✭✭✭
I have been playing a healer every day since the start on ESO, l absolutely love this role and I'm pretty good at it. I've been watching a lot of the top players reviews on healer in the new Scalecaller update and the total opinion is healers are a dead role and will rarely be used except one healer in 12 man content and definitely not in 4 man especially the harder Dungeon.
So do I try to change my healer to a healer/DPS or trust Zos is going to address this issue. I've put a lot of time into my build farming sets so I am reluctant to give her up.. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't change your healing role if you love it based on the hyperbole that is going around currently. As you probably know this always happens when there are changes to some skills with an update: There are always a vocal portion of the player base that cry wolf, exclaiming it's the end of the world as we know it.

The reality is this will not be the case, healers will still be required/wanted for a lot of content. Remember we healers provide a lot, not just the traditional classic healing.

Now if you do want to be a healer/dps hybrid, or something similar there are some options. For example, as a Templar healer/dps hybrid myself I would use Julianos (Crafted), Spell Power Cure (White-Gold Tower), Grothdarr (Vaults of Madness Helm, Undaunted Chest for Shoulders). I dealt okay damage (~30k dps single target) and still provided some healing (~4k/s) and boons to my group.

But there are a lot of options. As long as you cover the basics: Spell Power, Spell Critical chance, Spell Critical damage & Maximum Magicka, and have a semi decent rotation you'll be fine. No update/change has ever - nor is ever going to - change those fundamentals in the game.

If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healer isn’t dead.

Not sure why you needed a new thread on the topic ... instead of commenting in one of the other 10 ongoing threads.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 30, 2019 8:41AM
  • skipsarg
    skipsarg
    ✭✭✭
    Healer isn’t dead.

Not sure why you needed a new thread on the topic ... instead of commenting in one of the other 10 ongoing threads.

Sadly, I didn't understand your reply to my question.. But I do appreciate you trying to solve my issue
  • skipsarg
    skipsarg
    ✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    Please don't change your healing role if you love it based on the hyperbole that is going around currently. As you probably know this always happens when there are changes to some skills with an update: There are always a vocal portion thank you so very much for your kind encouraging of the player base that cry wolf, exclaiming it's the end of the world as we know it.

The reality is this will not be the case, healers will still be required/wanted for a lot of content. Remember we healers provide a lot, not just the traditional classic healing.

Now if you do want to be a healer/dps hybrid, or something similar there are some options. For example, as a Templar healer/dps hybrid myself I would use Julianos (Crafted), Spell Power Cure (White-Gold Tower), Grothdarr (Vaults of Madness Helm, Undaunted Chest for Shoulders). I dealt okay damage (~30k dps single target) and still provided some healing (~4k/s) and boons to my group.

But there are a lot of options. As long as you cover the basics: Spell Power, Spell Critical chance, Spell Critical damage & Maximum Magicka, and have a semi decent rotation you'll be fine. No update/change has ever - nor is ever going to - change those fundamentals in the game.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to be so encouraging in your reply.
    I do have all monster sets and the best dps sets. But my love is healing. I am surprised so many players don't realise all the buffs, cleansing and increased damage they are getting from their healer, be it 4 or 12 man group.
    Sadly they nerfed Spell power when the Olrieme set from CR was released but it is still quite good.
    Well thank you again for taking the time to give me some hope and helpful ideas. Much appreciated x
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're welcome. As you know you have a lot of choices in equipment, and there are 101 sets you can use that all do a comparable job. Meta does not matter.

Just on Spell Power Cure: I believe it is still superior to Olorime in 99% of content (for a magicka templar). The fifth bonus is practically the same, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th bonuses for SPC are much better for a hybrid than Olorime, i.e. your damage output will be greater with SPC than VoO.

Goodluck!
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skipsarg wrote: »
    I have been playing a healer every day since the start on ESO, l absolutely love this role and I'm pretty good at it. I've been watching a lot of the top players reviews on healer in the new Scalecaller update and the total opinion is healers are a dead role and will rarely be used except one healer in 12 man content and definitely not in 4 man especially the harder Dungeon.
    So do I try to change my healer to a healer/DPS or trust Zos is going to address this issue. I've put a lot of time into my build farming sets so I am reluctant to give her up.. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Indeed, that seems to be the emerging body of opinion.

I have mained healers for large spells of my ESO journey. Currently I have been dps and tanking mains for the last year or so. However, I had already created a healer/dps hybrid, which was laughed at by folk at the time... whose laughing now eh lol.

My ESO friend and I have also in the past theory crafted tank/heal hybrid builds, and with the potential changes soon, we have both started to put together very effective tank/heal hybrids.

I do not know what the answer is for healing in ESO, it used to be that a healer was a very important but under appreciated role and one which I enjoyed immensely. Now... if these changes go live... I do hope a more positive development is on the horizon.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sooooo nerf sorc.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Cleveland521
    Cleveland521
    ✭✭✭
    Looking to creat the ultimate tank healer, currently running reactive, trans, and pirate skeleton on a Breton Templar, is there anything better to tank heal through the mass zergs currently pvping?
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The heals may not be as important with such strong self survival but the support and buffs they provide won’t be obesolete. The people that chase scores on the high end of content may replace them, but let’s be honest... they are so good they didn’t ever need pure healers anyway. The 1/1/2 setup won’t be going anywhere and the difficulty of the role may be lowered but find new ways to push yourself to make the team stronger and fill any gaps there may be. Be the support role that is so good that you could carry any party through harder content. That’s were you find the satisfaction in a role.
  • Cleveland521
    Cleveland521
    ✭✭✭
    The heals may not be as important with such strong self survival but the support and buffs they provide won’t be obesolete. The people that chase scores on the high end of content may replace them, but let’s be honest... they are so good they didn’t ever need pure healers anyway. The 1/1/2 setup won’t be going anywhere and the difficulty of the role may be lowered but find new ways to push yourself to make the team stronger and fill any gaps there may be. Be the support role that is so good that you could carry any party through harder content. That’s were you find the satisfaction in a role.

True, so what I’m doing is good, however at lvl 160 cp I can tank heal through most 810’s damage but I’m looking for more group sustain with my build and still draw Aggro from the enemy, keeping them drawn to me is my goal with sustain.
  • Cleveland521
    Cleveland521
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing around in pvp on my healbot and I went and done it.... enemy zergs focus me now instead of my group, and I take the damage and still heal my group while closing the gaps in the group lol. Takes them about 5 minutes to Zerg me down if I pull them to me.