Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

[Buying Skill Lines with Crowns] Crafting skill - talk about it before it gets introduced

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Just in case ZOS is secretly thinking about this -- I think we should outline any significant repercussions before it gets introduced.
Example: Will it sprout even more botting for materials gathering?
Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 19, 2019 12:43AM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mate its incredibly easy to level those skill lines with gold and with the multi crafting being added it will be easier than ever.

The people running bots would not even have to use gold, they could just use the mats their current bots are gathering to max out the equipment crafting skill lines.

But they would still need to get the characters to level 50 to be able to assign the skill points needed to get end game mats instead of a half and half of nodes based on your crafting/character level.

The slow boring method of making hundreds of daggers, rings etc.. will now be practically instant provided you have the bank space and one maxed out crafter.

Don't really think it will affect the intricate market though since most new players don't have the capital to buy the mats necessary early on.

Same with Enchanting and Provisioning those will get even quicker to level, since you could decon all the glyphs in your inventory instantly, or make a large number of food and drinks in one button press.

Alchemy is about the only one that won't benefit as much unless, you plan to skip learning the reagent traits.

And honestly how much of a priority is crafting for most new players?

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike the guild skill lines and skyshards which give players immediate access to what they think they need to do end game content, the only real benefit to having multiple characters at max crafting beyond your main crafter is to be able to do more max tier writs.

So buying crafting skill lines might be great for players who want to run writs on all their characters every day, or want to farm loads of Anniversary rewards, but beyond that there's no reason to purchase crafting skills since you've already got one crafter.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 19, 2019 3:07AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    The slow boring method of making hundreds of daggers, rings etc.. will now be practically instant provided you have the bank space and one maxed out crafter.

I thought this was deprecated? Reddit poo-pooed it saying it was cheaper to sell the mats and buy intricates.
    And Intricates still sell like hot cakes, so either there are a lot of startup crafters, or people just like levelling their crafters? Not clear for what because the gold you get is the most reliable thing and that's independent of crafting skill. Materials from writs and Hirelings I suppose?
    So buying crafting skill lines might be great for players who want to run writs on all their characters every day, or want to farm loads of Anniversary rewards, but beyond that there's no reason to purchase crafting skills since you've already got one crafter.

Pretty sure this part isn't necessary to farm anniversary rewards. Any Daily Writ qualified, not just top tier writs.

So farming Master Writs and harvesting top-tier mats would be the main benefits. The former doesn't farm very well and the latter might not be worth the startup cost of a Crown Store item.

I'm amazed this one might be harmless and useless enough to actually not be worth implementing at all.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 19, 2019 3:28AM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

I thought this was deprecated? Reddit poo-pooed it saying it was cheaper to sell the mats and buy intricates.
    And Intricates still sell like hot cakes, so either there are a lot of startup crafters, or people just like levelling their crafters? Not clear for what because the gold you get is the most reliable thing and that's independent of crafting skill. Materials from writs and Hirelings I suppose?

Depends its not something you should do on your first character, its true it can cost a lot more but there are people out there who are impatient/leveled up the crafts on many alts before and have lots of gold to spend so its easy to just clear out the guilds stores of the cheaper listed refined mats you need and just use an add on to auto craft enough gear to fill your inventory, transfer it to your bank, rinse and repeat until you fill your bank, switch to the alt then decon it all.

Had a guy in one of the guilds I am in, wanted to max out blacksmithing, it was his first character, he had bought all the Rubedite ignots and style mats using gold he acquired from thieving, I gave him a hand for about half an hour, making him daggers, then trading them to him so he could decon them. Got a small tip at the end of it, didn't bother me was just using an add on to auto craft the daggers for him.

For him it was a matter of being able to upgrade his own gear to gold, that was the only reason he was in a rush to level the skill line.

the auto craft changes will make that process extremely fast.

As for intricates selling fast they always do, I would often go around to nearly every trader and buy out every intricate listed at or below 200 gold and still needed more. On more than one occasion had the seller contact me to clear out their stock.

Had to get an add on, to auto open and loot the mail, would have gone insane otherwise.

Except for leveling Jewelry crafting, I never bought Jewelry intricates, I bought refined platinum in bulk in zone chat, made CP150 rings and leveled 17 of my Jewelry crafters that way with a bit of Jewelry from dolmens and my own intricates from crafting writs. It took awhile true but I got it over with and quickly made my gold back, Jewelry crafting is probably my biggest gold earner out of all the crafting skills.

Got 18 characters now that have all their crafting skills maxed out, why? for daily writs, 18 max level characters 4648 gold per character per day of writs, then all the goodies out of the writ boxes to sell on guild traders. That makes me a reliable supply of gold each week.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, the repercussions are irrelevant. Zenimax is already ignoring the repercussions of allowing guild-based skill lines to be bought with cash... both ethically and gameplay wise. There is no reason to believe they would suddenly start caring if it involved class skill lines or crafting skill lines.

They won't start caring until they go "oops, this is unethical and scummy; we are removing the ability to purchase skill lines and skyshards from the cash shop and introducing them as in-game purchases with gold at a reasonable sum instead." Wouldn't that be nice? Sure would. That's why it won't happen.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mate its incredibly easy to level those skill lines with gold and with the multi crafting being added it will be easier than ever.

Same with Enchanting and Provisioning those will get even quicker to level, since you could decon all the glyphs in your inventory instantly, or make a large number of food and drinks in one button press.

Does deconning/crafting in bulk give inspiration for each piece deconned/crafted or for the one button press?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Does deconning/crafting in bulk give inspiration for each piece deconned/crafted or for the one button press?

No complaints on PTS so far so I'm guessing it's as if you processed each piece separately.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

This will make leveling enchanting on all my alts exceedingly simple if so.

Just craft 100-ish purple glyphs in one second on my main, log into alt, decon said glyphs instantly on alt - immediate huge level jump!

Largest time sink will be depositing them in the bank and loading screens....

Not to mention leveling provisioning and alchemy just became 1 second - 2 minutes skill lines depending on how frugal you want to be with raw mats.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Will this new "feature" ignore the skill point cost for all those? Do you still have to have the skill points? Do you end up with negative skill points? Or will it be like you earned a bunch more skill points and can still get more in the game?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this new "feature" ignore the skill point cost for all those? Do you still have to have the skill points? Do you end up with negative skill points? Or will it be like you earned a bunch more skill points and can still get more in the game?

I think this is just speculative that it might be coming.

All you are paying for is the immediate moving to level 50 on the skill bar. Any skill points you'd need would still have to be gotten in the game (or purchased with the skyshard packs that have already been introduced)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I think this is just speculative that it might be coming.

All you are paying for is the immediate moving to level 50 on the skill bar. Any skill points you'd need would still have to be gotten in the game (or purchased with the skyshard packs that have already been introduced)

I wasn't clear on that. It would make more sense to be that way. Thanks for the clarification.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Being able to purchase max crafting skill lines on the crown store would have a significantly detrimental effect on the economy and one that I hope we will never see. Most of us who have multiple alts in game who have max level crafters have done so with significant time and investment in the game, where we can reap the benefits of our efforts by selling some of the tempers and mats by doing multiple crafting writs each day and selling the extra mats through the guild vendors.

Someone only having one max level crafter going in and creating a bunch of alts and then purchasing the max crafted skill lines through the crown store would probably be a great boon for ZOS, but it would put the economy in chaos.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    Being able to purchase max crafting skill lines on the crown store would have a significantly detrimental effect on the economy and one that I hope we will never see. Most of us who have multiple alts in game who have max level crafters have done so with significant time and investment in the game, where we can reap the benefits of our efforts by selling some of the tempers and mats by doing multiple crafting writs each day and selling the extra mats through the guild vendors.

Someone only having one max level crafter going in and creating a bunch of alts and then purchasing the max crafted skill lines through the crown store would probably be a great boon for ZOS, but it would put the economy in chaos.

I honestly don't think it'd have that large of an impact, they would still have to actually DO the writs each day, which is WAY more of a time investment than the actual leveling itself.

I can't really see this being bought other than by a very select few, since the only two skill line you need to level up for end-game are alchemy and provisioning, and those two are by far, the easiest to level.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points