Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Randomly booted to login screen.

ploddab16_ESO
ploddab16_ESO
✭✭✭
The game has an annoying habit of randomly booting me back to the login screen. However, it doesn't give me any notification of disconnect and it seems to be some form of soft disconnect. From conversations with my group mates I get shown as going offline on their end, but to me I'm still in the game and I can move around, only my abilities don't fire off, I can't chat and I can't hit anything with my mouse click attacks. I thought it may be because of addons but I've updated all of them and it's still occuring. Is this a known issue and how can it be solved?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @ploddab16_ESO

When did this first start happening and does it happen under specific circumstances?

Disconnections are often connection related, so you should go through the troubleshooting below if you've not done so.
    • Configure your router to open the following outbound ports:
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
      • TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
      • TCP Port 80
      • TCP Port 433
    • Update the firmware of your router (it is always a good step to take, as it prevents that an outdated firmware interferes on your connection).
    • Try to put your modem/router far from all electrical devices and do not coil up any excess signal or power cables (to eliminate possible interference problems).
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game has an annoying habit of randomly booting me back to the login screen. However, it doesn't give me any notification of disconnect and it seems to be some form of soft disconnect. From conversations with my group mates I get shown as going offline on their end, but to me I'm still in the game and I can move around, only my abilities don't fire off, I can't chat and I can't hit anything with my mouse click attacks. I thought it may be because of addons but I've updated all of them and it's still occuring. Is this a known issue and how can it be solved?
    This behavior can be caused -- or aggravated -- by issues, and remedied, as described by ZOS_BillE. So, be sure to check them out carefully. You might also ask your ISP tech support whether there are any issues with your connection to the Internet.

However, I don't have any identifiable technical issues with my computer's connection, hardware, or the software that I am running. Regardless, this "soft disconnect" apparently happens when the ZOS megaserver transfers my game-state (in progress) from one server to another.

Even when the transfer succeeds, the Heads Up Display often shows the position of my character continuing to move from a location through which my character has already passed at least a second or more before the transfer. Or it shows my stationary character at the same location as before, but the positions of other characters and MoBs are "returned" to their respective prior locations relative to my character's location. An AoE that has expired is likely to be shown still in effect, etc. ....

Sometimes the transfer fails. If so, then the game client ordinarily displays the primary game/account log-in dialog screen. I never know what I will see when the display of the game-in-progress resumes afterward. For example, my character might still be in a group, but not in the vicinity of the locations of the other members. Sometimes my character has been killed during the interim and might be resurrecting in the default location.

Such a transfer and its outcome is not a predictable event, i.e., one that I can anticipate -- it just happens. Bethesda/ZOS are responsible, insofar as such transfers are a feature of the megaserver system. A multi-server system has its advantages both for the players and for the game provider. However, it's benefits are not without risks, and the system is unlikely to be free of problems.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Grey_Wanderer
    Grey_Wanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Having the same problem. Every 30 to 60 minutes, I d/c, and can't log back in, b/c I'm already showing as logged in. Modem direct to PC, firmware updated, addons updated, all drivers updated.

I'm about to give up.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Grey_Wanderer

If you've already went through the troubleshooting suggested above, you can get further help looking into these disconnections by opening a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having the same problem. Every 30 to 60 minutes, I d/c, and can't log back in, b/c I'm already showing as logged in. Modem direct to PC, firmware updated, addons updated, all drivers updated.

I'm about to give up.
    The fact that Bethesda/ZOS responds that you are already logged-in signifies that the mega-server did not boot you. The game client apparently became unable to use your computer's Internet connection to communicate with the mega-server.

First, if you run TESO Windowed Full Screen, then you should be able to access the task bar by using the "Windows key". This has many benefits, including access to run and use an telecomm application such as Discord or Team Speak 3 with your microphone and speakers, or a headset. Then you can switch between the game and the application (and back to the game) when you need to do that.

After you are booted from the server, always check the task bar Internet connection icon. Depending upon your configuration, either it is shown on the task bar, or it will be shown when you access the "system tray". Then do the following:
    1. Click on the task bar icon to open the Windows Network and Sharing feature, and examine the Local Area Connection.
    2. Usually the Local Area Connection (LAC) reports "No Internet Access" for both Internet IPv4 and Internet IPv6.
    3. Sometimes the LAC doesn't signal a loss of connection on the Task Bar, because it is still able to send and receive with IPv4, but not with IPv6 -- which will be shown on the LAC display panel.
    4. Use the button on the LAC display panel to run Windows Diagnostics.
    When I do that, Windows Diagnostics has always reported that my system configuration is correct, but the LAC cannot obtain a response from the ISP's DNS server.

Also take a look at your router's status lights. Ordinarily it will show that it is not connected to the ISP network. If it shows that it is connected, then use the LAC panel feature to check whether there is a problem with the cable between your computer's motherboard port and the router port to which it is connected.

In my experience, a problem with the DNS server not responding has been short-lived. That said, I have no idea why it occurs. Apparently, neither does the ISP tech support staff. They think it is probably a problem with the modem and/or with the router. However, when they test the connections, their diagnostics do not find any problems with my hardware. Go figure.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • yann222y
    yann222y
    Soul Shriven
    Nothing seems to fix the problem, It just looks like a new way to relieve servers during summer holidays.
  • Grey_Wanderer
    Grey_Wanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Not a problem with my connection or equipment. I check it during the period when the game becomes unresponsive to after I've been disconnected (such as just now).

The problem is not at my end.