The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How many crafters?

KestrelFive
I’m wondering, how many crafters do you recommend having? I was planning on two: my first character (StamDK) has woodworking, smithing, clothing all at level 50. I have most, but not all, traits researched. I don’t know how I’ll fit all those skill points in on one crafter though, but researching traits again would be very tough.

I am planning to use my magplar for jewelry crafting, alchemy, and enchanting. Is this a good breakdown, or should I try to get a third character crafting?
  • rsantijw13
    rsantijw13
    ✭✭✭
    8-15 crafters
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on how much time you want to spend each day on your crafters.
    Your main adventuring toon will have more than enough skill points for all crafts if you do enough quests.

Try this crafting guide for new players http://gq-game-mods.blogspot.com/2019/07/elder-scrolls-online-crafting-guide-for-new-players.html
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend having 1 character be the maximum in all 7 crafts, at a minimum. It will save you time in collecting motifs in order to make gear.

Perhaps, most importantly, a lot of furnishing plans are "multicraft" skill needed... it's easier to have one character with all the skills, to make this as painless as possible

There are enough skill points in the game so that you can be maxed out in every craft, AND still have your character able to do PVE and PVP content.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im doing 15 daily-out of 18 toons,got 1 master crafter and only a few traits away for 2nd
    the more motifs and traits you learn,the more master writs you get
    top tier dailys will get you better rewards (more kuta,alloy etc)
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I would recommend having 1 character be the maximum in all 7 crafts, at a minimum. It will save you time in collecting motifs in order to make gear.

Perhaps, most importantly, a lot of furnishing plans are "multicraft" skill needed... it's easier to have one character with all the skills, to make this as painless as possible

There are enough skill points in the game so that you can be maxed out in every craft, AND still have your character able to do PVE and PVP content.

This
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every character should have maxed, or near maxed Alchemy and Provisioning. At least enough levels to unlock the Passives that increase Durations. Thankfully, those skills level really fast.

As for Writs, only max level Writs give Master Writs. But you need to invest around 50 to 60 skill points to do Max Tier Writs. Me, most of my characters do L1 Writs, as the Gold and Material Rewards are the same.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Every character should have maxed, or near maxed Alchemy and Provisioning. At least enough levels to unlock the Passives that increase Durations. Thankfully, those skills level really fast.

As for Writs, only max level Writs give Master Writs. But you need to invest around 50 to 60 skill points to do Max Tier Writs. Me, most of my characters do L1 Writs, as the Gold and Material Rewards are the same.

The material rewards are not the same on L1 vs Max Level Writs. Your odds of receiving gold improvement materials goes up significantly as you increase the level of writ you do.

Those gold improvement materials are, in general, the most "valuable" part of the entire writ process.
    Edited by tmbrinks on July 27, 2019 5:06PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason to not do crafting on all your characters is because you don't want to gather the mats and you would rather sell all the extra drops, even if only to the vendor.

You can do dailies when you feel like it to gain a couple thousand gold with them. It gets to be time consuming, but you can skip it if you want to do that.

It can suck up a lot of skill points to level them all up, but don't try to do all that at once.

My general strategy now is to have one that gets the main recipes, research, etc. Everyone else gets pass me downs.

I have been having everyone learn all the passed down recipes, but I think I will start selling extra purples soon and I sometimes wished I had only learned the core provisioning recipes on my main crafter since more items in the provisioning list makes it longer when working through the list (on the PS4) to pick the right thing to make.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one crafter who has all traits researched and nearly all the motifs. The 30 other crafters are 8 trait with base purple motifs
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that once you have all but Nirnhoned learned on all your characters, and they're all at level 50 in all crafts, that you get enough materials back from deconstruction (since you no longer need anything for research), assuming that they're doing other stuff as well as just crafting. Do the dailies any time you need the gold, as that's over 4k per character.

Consumables the character uses should be ones they can make for themselves when they run out. So make sure everyone can do their own potions and food/drink. Enchanting isn't something that needs renewal, but it's easy enough to level, so why not?

Master writs (except the JC ones) are also a decent value proposition, and the furnishings you can only buy for writ vouchers are ones you'll want to have. The more characters that are eligible, the better. Don't bother with multiple JC Masters, as the returns there are not the same, but at least one is needed to upgrade what you can't find or buy.

Learning Motifs on multiple characters is debatable. Higher rates of Master Writs is for doing so, but selling your duplicates makes good cash.