The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Soul Trap] Should Soul Trapping men/mer be a criminal act?

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
TES games I had the impression that it was an abhorrent practice only done by necromancers and you even needed a special Black Soul Gem to do it.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the guild memo on Soul Trapping, Vanis Galerion explains that the current acceptance of soul trapping is the work of Mannimarco and his worm cult. The Mages Guild obviously disagrees, but it's going to take time for their viewpoint to win out.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Guild_Memo_on_Soul_Trapping
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 18, 2019 12:13PM
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    17p7h1.jpg
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use the Soul Magic passive Soul Lock though, you'll unintentionally capture souls whether you like it or not.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering about this the other day. I think I pretty much just have done this most of my characters but I don't think you have to. You can just find soul gems can't you from drops, or am I wrong? I don't think you actually have to be the one who does the soul trapping.

Is it ethical to use the gems at all? Maybe just using uncharged weapons could work.

It seems like something that's on the evil side and saying animal spirits don't count is like saying animal souls are less important.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shouldn't I think. Why should it be? Recent events showed us exactly what a soul on Nirn is. Imagine an automobile: it has a body, an engine, lots of systems like climate control, ABS, parking assistance and many other features controlled by an on-board computer. But what animates the car and all these systems, what is that spark of life? Well, it's a sparking that is provided by a car battery that animates it and starts the engine and an electric generator that sustains the current flow when the engine works - this is a "soul" of a car. This could be enough, but a car will not go anywhere, because the on-board computer might hold the way, regulate all the car systems and even park a car but does not realize what and why is he doing. Just like an animal. What gives a car conciousness is a driver - he is the mind. You remember Mind Shriven in Cyrodiil? That's what happens if a mortal has a body and soul, but lacks Mind.

So since the magic of storm calling is applied only in direct damage abilities and has no application in more peacefull spheres, souls are the only one source of the energy to power our weaponry, armor, different mechanisms and ourselves since we are the Vestiges and can live on Nirn only due to the souls of mortals and a huge Wayshrines net. So no, it shouldn't.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 19, 2019 11:54AM
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also seen some people discussing that what we use as a Soul Trap spell in this era differs greatly from soul trapping from anything post-ESO's era and I think it's in that memo/missive that was linked above that in the future they'd regulate the spell into something different, but I could be wrong.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    Is it ethical to use the gems at all? Maybe just using uncharged weapons could work.

There's also the question of what people were doing before soul gems. No enchantments?