The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

platings and alchemy maps on low level crafters?

pcar944
pcar944
✭✭✭✭
so I happen to have a bunch of low level characters that I just use for bank space for gear, and so many low level mats that I will never use them all, and I was wondering what if I do some cooking/alchemy/enchanting/jwc writs on them?

outside of regular material rewards, are there any chances to get Chromium or alchemy or Psijic Ambrosia pages from low level writ completions or no?

Thanks!
One Tamriel killed PVP

DC Magicka Orc Necromancer climbing those ranks ...
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. There is a slight chance you will get gold mats in your craft writ daily rewards on all level writs. I got a temper alloy the other day on a level one (iron) blacksmith writ turn in.
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    Actually, even my 'crafting mule characters' who haven't learned much else are in a position to get a lot of the chromium. All you have to do with that is to put 3 skill points in the plating expertise, and they have a halfway decent opportunity to get gold grains. Between 16 characters doing all writs, I usually end up with 3-4 grains/day and can do one nice gold jewelry writ every 3-4 days without having to buy much more than an occasional trait stone or maybe 1 purple plating.

Also: doing writs on even 'mules' is handy. One of mine just hit 50, after a few years of doing nothing but writs on her (other than a single day each on jester's festival and new life festival quests for achievement)..the last time I'd actually been advancing her, she'd been in her teens. And, every 10 character levels or so you get this way, the amount of cash/gold that you receive for doing writs goes up. That's one reward worth getting. There are others, too.

It's worth noting that I almost never have to pick up materials for my crafters on low level mats. They more or less pay for themselves, and also give me surveys that I can use to keep my higher level crafters supplied rather well by. It makes it easy, and really doesn't take much time.

Just to hint, though, doing all writs on 16 crafters takes me a little over an hour to do (that's even counting my master crafter doing master writs), and I bring in at least 70k gold per day with this effort. So, I have seen that it's worth it. But maybe my explaining in depth will help.
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    yep, pretty much answered all my questions right there

I don't have all the extra character slots, I'm on a new account on PC, so only 9 (or whatever max is)

thanks!
    One Tamriel killed PVP

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    All you have to do with that is to put 3 skill points in the plating expertise, and they have a halfway decent opportunity to get gold grains.

Is that something unique to JC ?

I ran some data using low level writs last 2 months with first Tier 1 Writs with no extra passives and then Tier 1 with full passives and didn't see much of an increase, BUT I didn't add passives to JC because they were so low in JC skill tree.

Edited by SpAEkus on July 1, 2019 12:12PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your chance to get gold improvement materials scales with the tier of writs that you are doing (and only with the tier, the other passives do not matter for writs) The higher the tier, the greater the chance. (30% chance for WW/Cloth/BS/Enchanting, 20% for JC)

Surveys drop the same regardless of level of writ. (12.5%)

Have no clue on the Psijic Ambrosia recipe fragments, I don't even bother with non-max tier provisioning as it's too much of a hassle to get all the recipes, when you can just make stacks of the max level and keep them in your bank for all characters to turn in (same with Alchemy)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Your chance to get gold improvement materials scales with the tier of writs that you are doing (and only with the tier, the other passives do not matter for writs) The higher the tier, the greater the chance. (30% chance for WW/Cloth/BS/Enchanting, 20% for JC)

Have no clue on the Psijic Ambrosia recipe fragments, I don't even bother with non-max tier provisioning as it's too much of a hassle to get all the recipes, when you can just make stacks of the max level and keep them in your bank for all characters to turn in (same with Alchemy)

It's interesting that this is about the only thing on here you've said that I differ from. I only do max-tier provisioning writs on my main crafter mainly because I use him for making food for all my alts and he knows every recipe in the game (with the exception of mythic ambrosia).

My other characters all stopped at level 40-49 or CP10-CP90 level because the value of those recipes far exceed that of the CP150-160 stuff. Granted, a purple CP150 recipe like longfin pasty will easily sell for 40-45k, but the loot pool of green/blue recipes at max-tier is far larger than at the lower levels. I can count on one hand the number of purple recipes my max crafter has gotten over the years from doing writs, but when I can sell a green CP10-CP90 recipe for 1k, blues for 5k, and purples for 12k, coupled with a much higher return for blue/purple recipes at lower tiers, it's much more financially lucrative to leave them at those lower tiers.

Also, the provisioning master writs aren't enough incentive to set all my characters to max, especially when purple/gold recipe knowledge on my alts is virtually nil.

Lastly, I spend roughly 2 hours a year on my main crafting the tier-appropriate food for my alts' writs. Each alt gets a stack of 100 of each food/drink needed for writs and keeps it in their inventory which will last 300 days. This saves me from taking up bank space, losing time summoning a banker to split/pull needed food from the bank, and trying to remember which tier each character is when I login.

I'm on console too, so I don't have any addon to auto-pull items from bank, so you might not notice as much time lost as I do scrolling through a 450/480 bank.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daily writs are well worth it on lower level characters just for the gold and surveys - collect the surveys on your main crafter and they'll all return max level resources. The bonus for alchemy and enchanting is that it doesn't matter what level your character is, everything you get back is usable for any level.

The only writs I don't do are provisioning, unless I am still leveling the skill line on a character. After nearly 4 years of playing, there wouldn't be many older recipes that my main crafter does not know.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    Also: doing writs on even 'mules' is handy. One of mine just hit 50, after a few years of doing nothing but writs on her (other than a single day each on jester's festival and new life festival quests for achievement)..the last time I'd actually been advancing her, she'd been in her teens. And, every 10 character levels or so you get this way, the amount of cash/gold that you receive for doing writs goes up. That's one reward worth getting. There are others, too.

Actually, for every class level you receive a few more gold per turn in. (its not just every 10 levels). In General, it is approximately .1K gold per class level is the gold income average that I have noticed when turning in the daily writs.

Class Level Gold/day (7 turn ins)
    10 2K
    14 2.5K
    19 3K

50 4.6K

edit: I formatted the table above, but the posting messed up the columns. :-(

I have more data at home in my notebook that is not in front of me right now.
    Edited by Thorvik_Tyrson on July 1, 2019 11:05PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

It's interesting that this is about the only thing on here you've said that I differ from. I only do max-tier provisioning writs on my main crafter mainly because I use him for making food for all my alts and he knows every recipe in the game (with the exception of mythic ambrosia).

My other characters all stopped at level 40-49 or CP10-CP90 level because the value of those recipes far exceed that of the CP150-160 stuff. Granted, a purple CP150 recipe like longfin pasty will easily sell for 40-45k, but the loot pool of green/blue recipes at max-tier is far larger than at the lower levels. I can count on one hand the number of purple recipes my max crafter has gotten over the years from doing writs, but when I can sell a green CP10-CP90 recipe for 1k, blues for 5k, and purples for 12k, coupled with a much higher return for blue/purple recipes at lower tiers, it's much more financially lucrative to leave them at those lower tiers.

Also, the provisioning master writs aren't enough incentive to set all my characters to max, especially when purple/gold recipe knowledge on my alts is virtually nil.

Lastly, I spend roughly 2 hours a year on my main crafting the tier-appropriate food for my alts' writs. Each alt gets a stack of 100 of each food/drink needed for writs and keeps it in their inventory which will last 300 days. This saves me from taking up bank space, losing time summoning a banker to split/pull needed food from the bank, and trying to remember which tier each character is when I login.

I'm on console too, so I don't have any addon to auto-pull items from bank, so you might not notice as much time lost as I do scrolling through a 450/480 bank.

I honestly had not thought of that. I will have to look at the respective prices on PC/NA and perhaps do the same, see if pulling a point out of provisioning will be worth it. It shouldn't make any difference, just taking up some more slots in my bank.

@Feric51 do you know if those lower tier writs return the Bervez Juice and Frost Mirriam (I'm guessing they're the "top tier mat" that has increased chance at higher levels). They aren't super valuable, but they do sell for around 10k a stack once you build up to it?
    Edited by tmbrinks on July 2, 2019 2:25AM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Provisioning 1 might not, but the recipes there aren't worth much anyways. I keep a lot of characters at 3,4,and 5,all of which do frequently drop the purple ingredients. I haven't tracked rates on those compared to 6 though.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Provisioning 1 might not, but the recipes there aren't worth much anyways. I keep a lot of characters at 3,4,and 5,all of which do frequently drop the purple ingredients. I haven't tracked rates on those compared to 6 though.

I dropped some of mine... going to have 3 do them at each of 2,3,4, and 5, and 6 characters at max level (mostly because I already have 250 of each of the ones for max tier in my bank... lol)
    Edited by tmbrinks on July 2, 2019 3:18AM
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    so I started doing these, actually doing low level stuff and finding recipies for my other low levels (even though they are cheap to buy) and still get more mats

haven't gotten much "great" yet but I did get a couple alchemy and JWC maps off low levels so that's nice! and Kutas … love those

thanks guys!

I'll just level their crafts like I always do - with decon Intricates from my main and trade glyphs with someone else
    One Tamriel killed PVP

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just have the crafting ranks of your chars at maximum, you will have a chance to get gold mats as a reward. At least, I got some.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly had not thought of that. I will have to look at the respective prices on PC/NA and perhaps do the same, see if pulling a point out of provisioning will be worth it. It shouldn't make any difference, just taking up some more slots in my bank.

@Feric51 do you know if those lower tier writs return the Bervez Juice and Frost Mirriam (I'm guessing they're the "top tier mat" that has increased chance at higher levels). They aren't super valuable, but they do sell for around 10k a stack once you build up to it?

@tmbrinks I have never really tracked my rewards for provisioning as far as the ingredients go, but I know that all levels can return bervez and frost mirriam. Not sure if the rate is affected by tier of writ or not. Likewise for the psijic ambrosia fragments. I know I've gotten them on lower tiers but have no comparison to my max-tier crafter.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tmbrinks

Just following up since I know you changed the provisioning passives on some of your characters. Does your data back up my anecdotal thoughts on the frequency of blue/purple recipes increasing from sub max-tier writs?
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tmbrinks

Just following up since I know you changed the provisioning passives on some of your characters. Does your data back up my anecdotal thoughts on the frequency of blue/purple recipes increasing from sub max-tier writs?

@Feric51

I feel like I get more blue/purple recipes from those lower tier provisioning writs than I do from the max tier ones I was doing.

I haven't really been able to tell if there's a lower drop rate of the Bervez Juice/Frost Mirriam, it might feel a little bit lower, but it's just a feeling. The data I have doesn't break it down into that much detail unfortunately, I have just aggregate data from all the characters on the account.