The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Monster sets and veteran weapon sets in builds

lukoi
lukoi
✭✭✭
I get how 5/5/2 sets are predominant combinations for builds but see alot of builds with vMA wespons etc and I was curious about some things.

Are people running arena weapons, monster head/shoulder and sacrificing the big 5th item benefits from one or more of their sets in meta builds?

I can see trading the weapon capability for the monster set or vice versa. Is it common to sacrifice the 5th item payoff or am I misundersranding something in these builds I am perusing on various sites?

Thanks.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only sacrifice the 5 piece on the back bar for a vma staff or bow, on the front bar you still have both 5 pieces and monster set.

You just use a set like mothers sorrow or bsw that you can keep on the front bar while still having all the extra damage vma weapons add.
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Ok do if I added a vMA bow for example to my current 5/5/2 build (stamblade), Id use the bow bar to initiate the maelstrom effect with endless hail, then swap to my DW bar and be able to keep the 5 set benefits for the most part minus the time it takes to reset the bow stuff?
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    And flow up question, assuming Im right, which set do you typically temporarily sacrfice on the vMA bar? Damage or sustain?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lukoi wrote: »
    And flow up question, assuming Im right, which set do you typically temporarily sacrfice on the vMA bar? Damage or sustain?

You’re right. And typically sacrifice neither. Sets like Lokkestiiz, Advancing, and Tzogvin all carry over to the back bar, even if you lose the 5pc set for a few seconds. That’s what makes these types of sets good as a “front bar set”. You will lose a small amount of damage from the momentarily missing 4pc bonus, but this is not very significant.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on July 24, 2019 1:32AM
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks guys, very helpful.

Guess I need to start learning/practicing tackling vMA now.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think as others have covered, the idea is that your build set up is such that you do not require the 5th piece of one of the sets to be active on both bars - the vMA/Master weapon is active instead...

So as an example, my Magsorc uses Infallible Aether, but I only 1 bar this because on the other bar, I am NOT heavy attacking, so it would be a waste to double bar this - 5th piece buffs heavy attacks and procs an enemy debuff from the heavy attacks, I only need that on my heavy attack bar.

I hope this makes sense.