The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shamanism and the Elder Scrolls

Tafvsulke
Tafvsulke
✭✭
As a former WoW player for...an embarrassing amount of years, my concept and understanding of Shaman in mechanic and lore is limited to that games portrayal of them.

In the Elder Scrolls Lore, what defines a shaman?
Are they spiritual leaders?
Are they cultists?
Are they skilled alchemists?
Is Shaman simply a title given to warriors?
Do they use magic at all? Is the magic elemental or restoration?

What IS a Shaman in ES series?
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a clear-cut way to be a ''shaman'' in TES, though most do seem to have some form of magical capabilities and serve as spiritual leaders. Think of Goblin Shamans and the Shaman of the Skaal. Shamans within the Goblin culture are pretty much the guiding hand, or ''leader'' of a tribe, even if only indirectly.

A Shaman of the Skaal is one who knows the secrets of the Skaal and keeps their traditions alive.
  • Oakenaxe
    Oakenaxe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is an exact definition, but as @Bruccius said, they're spiritual leaders. They may use magic (usually nature-related) or alchemy.

I can think of Orcs, Goblins and Ashlanders when it comes to shamans, as it's part of their culture to have a spiritual leader. (this guy for example: https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Shaman_Bogham)

If you want to play something alike, I believe the Warden class would be an interesting choice. I have and Orc Sorcerer (also a Werewolf) that I like to think of him as some kind of a shaman, like Gul'dan :)
    a.k.a. Leo
    non-native English speaker
    200-300 ping and low fps player
  • Devanear
    Devanear
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oakenaxe wrote: »
    I like to think of him as some kind of a shaman, like Gul'dan :)

OH MY!!!
    There have been some developments in Gul'dan's career. He is...no longer a shaman. I suggest trying someone else as a role-model.

:#

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Gul'dan

• Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In ESO, shamanism seems not to be a specific school nor class like in WoW, it's mainly just a role in a tribe, as said above ^^

When you look at shaman NPCs abilities, they appear to cast Dive (but with a bird model instead of cliffracer). They also use Totem to improve their armor.

Given that, one should use either the class Warden (Dive) or Necromancer (Bone totem) to roleplay a shaman.

But I guess it's OK if you use any class, with the proper gear look.
    DK class could be used for some sort of earth/lava/fire/forge shamans, like Minotaur shaman NPCs for example.
    Sorcerer class, for lightning/storm atronach/gemstone shaman type ... like the dark shaman costume suggests (it's more speculative).
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on July 18, 2019 11:07PM
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some shamans of the Red Exiles and the Erabenimsun ashlander tribes (near Ashurnabitashpi and Almurbalarammi as I recall). Seemed to be sorcerers. But yes - warden, I guess suits the role the same way good. Some way even better. Speaking of a necromancer - I cannot imagine a local population ordering any services to a shaman serving Mannimarco and Molag Bal. Women, children and old men.. I think necromancy is not the way of a shaman, especially if a shaman is a Vestige. Soul magic, Conjuration (Daedric summoning), Dark magic, Elemental magic, alchemy, all types of healing, enchanting, staves, two-handed weapons, bows and daggers, shapeshifting, whatever but not necromancy.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 19, 2019 9:37AM
  • Tafvsulke
    Tafvsulke
    ✭✭
    In ESO, shamanism seems not to be a specific school nor class like in WoW, it's mainly just a role in a tribe, as said above ^^

When you look at shaman NPCs abilities, they appear to cast Dive (but with a bird model instead of cliffracer). They also use Totem to improve their armor.

Given that, one should use either the class Warden (Dive) or Necromancer (Bone totem) to roleplay a shaman.

But I guess it's OK if you use any class, with the proper gear look.
    DK class could be used for some sort of earth/lava/fire/forge shamans, like Minotaur shaman NPCs for example.
    Sorcerer class, for lightning/storm atronach/gemstone shaman type ... like the dark shaman costume suggests (it's more speculative).

I miss my WoW shaman.

To me a shaman is:
    -spiritual leader of his/her people
    -icon in times of war
    -healer and provider

While I am spoiled by WoW version of a shaman, TES has far more wiggle room for them.

They could be ( class wise ) spirit callers, ancestor summoners, totem users, elementalists, curse speakers, alchemists. Lots of freedom.