The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

1st ESO Dungeon - Will these group comps work?

Lenox
Lenox
✭✭
  1. 3 dps
  2. 1 tank + 2 dps (no healer)
  3. 1 healer + 2 dps (no tank)

Hi,

Two of us are ex-WoW raiders / SWTOR Operations. The 3rd is a new gamer (50+ yo). And we're all new to ESO but not ES.

Nightblade - me
Templar - other experienced person
Dragonknight - newb

In WoW, we were able to do low-level 5-man dungeons with a 2-3 person group, without a healer (but with a tank), by using consumables and being a bit higher level. ESO level scales and only requires a group of 4, so perhaps we can get by in the earlier dungeons (level 10) with our scrappy group?

And thanks for understanding on why we wouldn't want to use Dungeon Finder to get a 4th player for this situation.

Thanks!
Nord TankCro
Redguard StamCro
Orc StamKnight
Khajiit MagBlade
Argonian HealPlar

Best Answers

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For base dungeons (not DLC) any of those combinations should work for both normal versions and veteran versions.

More experienced players can solo most base game group dungeons, meaning roles are somewhat fluid for that type of content.

If you guys play well together you shouldn't have any major problems with normal/vet base game dungeons.
    Start with Fungal Grotto I and work your way up the chain.
    bye1.gif

Edited by SirAndy on July 19, 2019 6:25PM
    Answer ✓
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    Generally if you really want to do it I'd suggest

You could pretty much do any composition, especially for normal but you probably want the tank (else the bosses could require a lot of kiting around and will take much more to be killed).

An healer in normal content is often seen as "bad" because you can just swap it for another DPS and clean sooner.

Imho tho, if it's your first attempts, i'd go with tank+healer+dd

You can really close anything with 1 (good) DD only unless we're talking 'bout hard modes and that will also give you the "time" to see the mechanich of that specific dungeon/content before venturing in the "veteran" version (in ESO the difference between normal and vet is huge especially in DLC content).

P.S.
    You did not asked this but if you want to go with an undersized party be sure to learn how to DD properly.
    Differently from other game there's A LOT of active combat in ESO and the same character could deal from 15.000 to 35.000 DPS just changing the way you use it (skills used, order of skills, slotted skills, weaving speed etc.).
    It's not uncommon to see ~300 CP player that deals WAY MORE damage than 810 ones while, in other games, this could not happen.
    Answer ✓
  • Lenox
    Lenox
    ✭✭
    There is no #4, but it's not letting me edit.
    Nord TankCro
    Redguard StamCro
    Orc StamKnight
    Khajiit MagBlade
    Argonian HealPlar
  • Deep_01
    Deep_01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duruing morrowind patch (2+ years ago), I used to do base game dungeons' survivor achievements as a duo. It was magsorc + dk tank. So, yes. It is possible, provided you have experience with pve stuff and are CP 160 (300+ is better).
    @Deepan on PC-EU
  • Lenox
    Lenox
    ✭✭
    Deep_01 wrote: »
    Duruing morrowind patch (2+ years ago), I used to do base game dungeons' survivor achievements as a duo. It was magsorc + dk tank. So, yes. It is possible, provided you have experience with pve stuff and are CP 160 (300+ is better).

I'm not sure what CP 160 (300+) means. Can you explain?

We're currently levels 6-12. Once we all hit level 10 we plan on giving it a try. Is your information for end-game dungeons or for low level dungeons, or both?
    Nord TankCro
    Redguard StamCro
    Orc StamKnight
    Khajiit MagBlade
    Argonian HealPlar
  • Lenox
    Lenox
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    For base dungeons (not DLC) any of those combinations should work for both normal versions and veteran versions.

More experienced players can solo most base game group dungeons, meaning roles are somewhat fluid for that type of content.

If you guys play well together you shouldn't have any major problems with normal/vet base game dungeons.
    Start with Fungal Grotto I and work your way up the chain.
    bye1.gif

How will scaling function if we're all different levels and do Fungal Grotto?
    Nord TankCro
    Redguard StamCro
    Orc StamKnight
    Khajiit MagBlade
    Argonian HealPlar
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lenox wrote: »
    We're currently levels 6-12. Once we all hit level 10 we plan on giving it a try. Is your information for end-game dungeons or for low level dungeons, or both?

CP = Champion Points, which is ESO's way of "leveling" after you reach level 50

There are no "low level" dungeons. The whole world of Tamriel is at CP160 (the cap for content) and you are scaled UP to match those stats while you are under level 50. In fact, at your current level, you are boosted well beyond the stats of a CP160 player to make sure you don't get 1-shot by a mudcrab.

The leveling system is somewhat awkward in ESO but it's crucial to understand how it works to make sure you don't get frustrated.

As you progress towards level 50 you will be progressively get "weaker" as your low level boost decreases. You need to make sure you keep your character geared up to your level to minimize that effect.
    Once you hit 50, you will unlock CP and your next focus should be to get to CP160 as quickly as possible. The max level for NPCs and gear in the game is CP160 and that's where you should start chasing good gear sets and improving their quality beyond purple.

You (the player) can earn CP beyond CP160, the current cap is CP810, and you can spent CP points to improve a multitude of abilities/passives.
    smile.gif

Edited by SirAndy on July 19, 2019 6:51PM
  • Lenox
    Lenox
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Lenox wrote: »

CP = Champion Points, which is ESO's way of "leveling" after you reach level 50

There are no "low level" dungeons. The whole world of Tamriel is at CP160 (the cap for content) and you are scaled UP to match those stats while you are under level 50. In fact, at your current level, you are boosted well beyond the stats of a CP160 player to make sure you don't get 1-shot by a mudcrab.

The leveling system is somewhat awkward in ESO but it's crucial to understand how it works to make sure you don't get frustrated.

As you progress towards level 50 you will be progressively get "weaker" as your low level boost decreases. You need to make sure you keep your character geared up to your level to minimize that effect.
    Once you hit 50, you will unlock CP and your next focus should be to get to CP160 as quickly as possible. The max level for NPCs and gear in the game is CP160 and that's where you should start chasing good gear sets and improving their quality beyond purple.

You (the player) can ear CP beyond CP160, the current cap is CP810, and you can spent CP points to improve a multitude of abilities/passives.
    smile.gif

Wow, thanks. Did not know that. Love scaling.
    Nord TankCro
    Redguard StamCro
    Orc StamKnight
    Khajiit MagBlade
    Argonian HealPlar
  • Lenox
    Lenox
    ✭✭
    Update:

We've used some Rededication Shrines.

Nightblade Tank - me
    Templar Healer - other experienced dude
    rDPS Dragonknight - new MMOer
    Nord TankCro
    Redguard StamCro
    Orc StamKnight
    Khajiit MagBlade
    Argonian HealPlar
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go 1 tank 2 DD, and let everyone use self heals, or tank can put some off healing and use Earthgore for burst healing. You should be fine for most dungeons, I got my vCoS skin in duos only, so you're definitly fine.
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    If you want to learn about the game and it`s roles as a new player you need to go with all roles. I have alot under my belt dungeons, trilas both vet and norm. Today I still run norm dungdeons and let tank`s, healer`s do their thing. This is important for the player and for the team as a whole.

I advice not to do as adviced above as a new player - gl
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I have duoed a lot of dungeons. I'd say:
    • The easiest dungeons can be duoed by any pair of reasonable characters.
    • Having emergency heals makes things more relaxed. A templar with Honor the Dead (or Breath of Life) fills that need easily. A magicka sorcerer can do it easily too. So can any magicka character with a resto staff, since Healing Ward is a lot like a heal.
    • For the next tranche it's nice but not wholly necessary to have a true tank. Staying alive against boss aggro if you're not a true tank, while certainly possible, can be distracting. (Note also that there is a lot of random aggro in boss fights anyway, with many dungeons having that feature in at least one case.)
    • Stamina characters are a lot happier if they have Vigor.
    • Reaper's Mark is greatly underrated as a nightblade self-heal in trash fights, but it doesn't fill that role in most boss fights.
    • Two tanks seems excessive. :)
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on July 31, 2019 6:57AM
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... Every once in a while, when i spot new players playing the content, i stop and watch them for some time. It feels like watching the kids playing in the park. So peaceful, and it's funny when they kill stuff. :)
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]