The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Confused about playing styles, help!

madridgirl7
madridgirl7
Soul Shriven
After months of playing the game and leveling up a bow/bow stam nightblade in solo pve, i decided to join a guild and learn pvp. I’ve researched builds, group tactics, etc... and realized I had a lot of improvement to do. So I ended up copying alcast’s nightblade stam build and have been learning to play with a rotation and weaving.

BUT playing this new way is making me all kinds of grumpy. Im totally willing to go with it tho, if it gets better results in the end, but can somebody explain to me why my previous method of playing wasn’t as effective?

Here’s what I used to do: sneak up, snipe to stun, spam snipe until someone got too close, then draining shot to knock them back and then dark cloak to heal. Now that I’m using Alcast’s skill setup with the weaving I can see how the AoE effects really help, but the second multiple enemies converge on me, I’m dead. There’s no immediate heal aside from potion and there’s no knock back. Is it that the Alcast build is designed for pvp and I would have to worry about those things less in a group? Or maybe I’m just on a brutal learning curve?

The frustrating part is I really want to understand the dynamics of why my old style of play doesn’t work as well, but I often get lost in the lingo on the forum posts. Help!
  • madridgirl7
    madridgirl7
    Soul Shriven
    Also, to be clear I’ve never played pvp before and really am not invested in doing it, but I do want to get strong enough to run vet content with a group.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Alcast's builds are very demanding (but of course efficient), more job than fun for me;
    2. Ask your guildies for help, explaining all this on forum is rather difficult. With your "old" routine you probably lacked proper rotation (DPS) and used wrong gear.

My advice is: play with various builds, find what suits you the best. Alcast is a highly experienced, elite player probably with the best PC setup you can get. What works for him may not be the best for you.
    And foremost, enjoy the game.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your old playstyle kept you alive while also be able to kill people then i would say there is nothing wrong with it :wink:
    There is always room to improve, like @Streega suggested, try different sets and skills and simply pick what suits you the most and you have fun with, dont restrict yourself by copying a meta build.
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    So I ended up copying alcast’s nightblade stam build and have been learning to play with a rotation and weaving.

While I highly respect Alcast - as somebody once said, playing a build somebody else devised is like wearing his underwear. You need a build which would suit YOUR playstyle, but OFC using Alcast as a starting point is not a bad idea.

My advice would be to go to PTS aka test server. Here you can freely experiment with builds, you can start with a top level char with unlimited resources, maxed SP and everything, so this is the best laboratory to test your own ideas.
    Start with Alcast build and adjust to your own needs. Experiment with sets and traits. Practice PVP with your friends. It is a "wasted" time since the PTS characters are just temporary but - and this comes from my own experience - it saves a HUGE amount of gold you will waste when experimenting on the live server.
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you aware of fact, that alcast's pve builds are designed for dungeons and trials where you have a healer right? They are focused on damage becouse they are dd group pve builds.

By your words "multiple enemies converge on me", I assume you play rather solo pve... Alcast's build arent ment for solo pve begginers/casuals.
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • madridgirl7
    madridgirl7
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks! I did love my old play style, but I had really hit a wall with it. I couldn’t run in groups and I was running out of solo content. Plus I felt like at level 325 I should just be stronger. I do realize alcast’s builds are for group runs and that is what I want to do, but I guess I didn’t realize how much difference it would make? I mean, I see solo players wiz by me all the time easily striking down all the “skeever” characters with one pass, so I thought “man, I’m really doing something wrong”. But maybe it is just a matter of reslotting skills to work for each situation and taking more time to develop my technique (rotation).
  • madridgirl7
    madridgirl7
    Soul Shriven
    I like the pts idea. Unfortunately I play on a ps4. That’s not an option for me then, right?
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Plus I felt like at level 325 I should just be stronger. I do realize alcast’s builds are for group runs and that is what I want to do, but I guess I didn’t realize how much difference it would make?

Alcast builds are not just for groups, but rather for organized group which plays regularly together. Meaning that if you join pug, you will not have half of the buffs Alcast expects you have. :) 325 is not much and you will get much better later so do not worry much.
    Also for soloing you are better off with different skillset, if you want to use Alcast as a base for your own build, start with the version for Maelstrom Arena, which is a build designed for soloing of difficult content.