The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who Rules Skywatch Now?

Anumaril
Anumaril
✭✭✭✭✭
To start let’s dive right into Altmer political hierarchy (that we know of). High Kinlords are heads of noble families that rule a province of the Summerset Isles as vassals, this is what seperates regular Kinlords from High Kinlords. ‘Kinlord’ is a familial title while ‘High’ Kinlord is a political one. I don’t know if there is another rank above high Kinlord or not, there certainly seems to be one since Skywatch is said to be the capital of Auridon, but with a High Kinlord ruling in both Skywatch and Firsthold, they would need a title to designate the High Kinlord of Skywatch as the Lord of Auridon as well, otherwise no one would be able to tell the difference between the ruler of all Auridon and the ruler of northern Auridon who is a vassal to the previously mentioned ruler.

Now on to my question:
At the start of ESO there were two known High Kinlords in Auridon, High Kinlord Rilis XIII ruled Firsthold and presumably all of northern Auridon (based on the fact that there is no other High Kinlord to be found until you reach Skywatch). High Kinlady Estre ruled Skywatch and presumably all of central and southern Auridon (and maybe even ruled as Lady of Auridon as well, though we don’t know if such title exists so it’s just speculation).

Kinlady Estre dies at the end of the Auridon questline but we don’t know who takes her place. Does the monarch rule Skywatch as regent? Does High Kinlord Rilis XIII take charge? If he does then by what right would he do so? He would have been a vassal to Estre and nothing more. Yet I find it hard to believe that Ayrenn, on top of everything else she is dealing with, would give herself the temporary titles of: High Kinlady of central/southern Auridon, and Lady of ALL of Auridon. It just does not seem that practical for someone in her position. A monarch delegates to avoid micromanaging, and if she did that then she would have to begin micromanaging more than half of Auridon.

I know that if the Vestige chooses to side with Estre in one of the Coldharbour questlines, she escapes to the Hollow City and hints that she will eventually return to the Summerset Isles. This would certainly clear up a great deal of the political problems presented with her absence, yet would Ayrenn allow her to reclaim her titles after she led a resistance movement?

Best Answer

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a feudal system, the monarch would retain lands under direct rule as well as delegating the "ownership" to vassals, in return for taxes and military support. If there is no natural replacement for the vassal, the lands would naturally revert, as the contract is broken. And so on, down the chain.

Delegation of authority takes two forms: A vassal is the tenant of the land granted, and can usually sub-let. A steward manages it on behalf of the owner/tenant, but has restricted decision-making and cannot sub-let. When a land grant reverts, a steward would normally be put it place temporarily, until a new vassal is found.

Titles associate with the territory would similarly revert, so Ayrenn is High Kinlady of that area until she grants the land and title to a new vassal. Her steward charged with running it doesn't get the title, just the responsibilities, and a paycheck.

Answer ✓
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe there isn't a ruler of all of Auridon I think that High Kinlord atleast in this context world be akin to a Mayor in our world where they govern there town and the lands around the town so there should be a High Kinlord of Skywatch, Firsthold and Vulkel Guard and these manage the lords below them while the High Kinlords answer to the Queen or Proxy Queen I would assume any princes or princess to be above High Kinlords like Prince Naemon.

If Estre ever made it back to Tamriel I'm sure she would be branded a traitor and hunted down
    as far as who rules Skywatch it definitely wouldn't be any of Estres direct relatives or children and I would assume Queen Ayrenn would ether appoint a lower noble to High Kinlord of Skywatch or give it to a close family member.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Altmer seem to have a city-state style of government, with the city-state rulers answering to a central monarch. That's Ayrenn or her direct representative the "Proxy".

So there's two ways we can go with that. One is that the actual main island of Summerset is large enough that it gets a proxy ruler to assist with administration while the others are mostly independent city states who independently answer to the High Queen/King.

Or we can assume that ZOS didnt quite work out how they wanted government to work out until they did Summerset and so Auridon also should have a Proxy ruler.

If we go with the latter option, the obvious person to be in charge after Ayrenn finishes her promenade through Auridon is Proxy King Naemon, who was married to Estre...except for the awkward fact that his wife turned traitor and so he gets shipped off to Grahtwood to stew in his own misery.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anumaril wrote: »
    To start let’s dive right into Altmer political hierarchy (that we know of). High Kinlords are heads of noble families that rule a province of the Summerset Isles as vassals, this is what seperates regular Kinlords from High Kinlords. ‘Kinlord’ is a familial title while ‘High’ Kinlord is a political one. I don’t know if there is another rank above high Kinlord or not, there certainly seems to be one since Skywatch is said to be the capital of Auridon, but with a High Kinlord ruling in both Skywatch and Firsthold, they would need a title to designate the High Kinlord of Skywatch as the Lord of Auridon as well, otherwise no one would be able to tell the difference between the ruler of all Auridon and the ruler of northern Auridon who is a vassal to the previously mentioned ruler.

It seems a bit different: High Kinlords / High Kinlady are indeed province rulers but are also equivalents of Kings, the Rilis are told as kings so Firsthold is its own kingdom ("kin-dom"?). In the war between Estre and Ayrenn, a lore letter displays how Rilis XIII wants to stay neutral between the 2 sovereigns, so it's reasonable to deduce he is independant (however Estre and her daedra will invade Firsthold).
    High kinlady Estre being the ruler of Skywatch *and* spouse of Prince Næmon is not weird since Summerset gentry seems to work like he old Europe ruling families.

Kinlords and kindladies are nobles of lesser cities or estates. Maybe like earls or counts...

The administrative rulers of towns are Canonreeves and High Canonreeves (for major cities).

So each city may have one ruling kinlord/kinlady and one (high) canonreeve, with vassal kinlords and canonreeves of villages around, perhaps.

Alinor has a specific status as the suzerain kingdom (kin-dom?), siege of the (High) King (Hidellith) / High Queen (Ayrenn) or Proxy Queen (Alwinarwe) in her absence.
    I guess the "high queen" title is mainly due to her being an over-king for Aldmeri Dominion kingdoms on the continent, but it would fit the feodal system of Summerset too.
    Anumaril wrote: »
    Kinlady Estre dies at the end of the Auridon questline but we don’t know who takes her place. Does the monarch rule Skywatch as regent? Does High Kinlord Rilis XIII take charge? If he does then by what right would he do so?

Nobody knows, nobody can say until now... It may remain like this until a DLC states its further status - or any flavor text (like, say, pet or mount, book, treasure...).
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume whoever her next of kin is. Which hasn't been revealed yet. Unless the Kinlady is selected another way or she has no kin... Since things are still unstable politically, most likely, it's some sort vassal taking care of things.
    And now I'm curious how high elf politics actually work lol