Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ice Magic: Viable Builds

jcf190b14_ESO
jcf190b14_ESO
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I've been playing the game off and on for years, but I'm not well versed in many classes or builds. Aesthetically, I really like ice magic. I understand that the Warden has a tanking line dedicated to frost/ice, but are there any viable DPS builds that focus on ice magic (either using class skills, set bonuses, or destruction skills)? I'd use them even if they aren't top tier as I don't do end game raids and such.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’ve probably figured out by now, @jcf190b14_ESO, that ice magic and DPS aren’t exactly synonymous.

That said, if you’re not doing end game content, then there is still a pretty large window to choose from. Because essentially you’re just making a regular DPS character and inserting a Frost Staff.

So, all you need is a DPS set, a sustain set, and a monster set for PvE. Remember that Wardens are naturally challenged in crit chance ... so Mother’s Sorrow or Acuity are good choices. But really any top tier DPS set should work if you’re lucky enough to have a Frost Staff as part of the 5-piece.

I’m sure you’re aware by now ... heavy attacks with a Frost Staff are a taunt. For any group content, you’ll either want to be careful about heavy attacks OR disable the Tri-focus passive. The latter being preferred ... so you don’t cause your tank to drop the group.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tales said it well, but to reiterate, 1) don't bring ice staff to anything competitive or overly difficult, and 2) make sure you aren't stealing taunt by disabling taunt passive. And for good measure 3) tell the group you're using frost but don't have the taunt. First thing most people are gonna think seeing a dps with frost staff is "this is gonna be a problem."
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wardens (Northern Storm, Ice Armor, Winters Revenge) and Necromancers (Boneyard and Glacial Colossus) have some frost damage skills, you can use a Frost staff but as those above have said, you generally dont take the tri-focus passive.

Some sets you can use are Winterborn, Iceheart, Necropotence, Julianos, Mothers Sorrow. Also if you want to get the Mages Guild Ultimate Ice Comet, its pretty nice.

Some Destruction Staff skills are being buffed next patch so you will have good skills in Force Pulse, Destructive Reach and Wall of Elements.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should really make a few more damage skills deal frost damage. My suggestions would be:

- Sorcerer’s Crystal Fragments/Blast
    - Warden’s Eternal Guardian (remove the respawn aspect of this morph, and give it a polar bear skin)
    - Nightblade’s Crippling Grasp/Debilitate (might not work well with the visual effect color, but makes sense from a slow/immobilize mechanic)

Then give Ice Staves a damage passive in Ancient Knowledge. It can be something generic like 4% damage done or 5-6% Spell Crit.

And finally add a unique debuff that makes enemies take 10% more damage from Frost. This would be similar to Engulfing Flames boosting Fire Damage. I would recommend adding this effect to Winter’s Revenge, since that skill will be almost completely useless after its damage reduction goes live. This also plays into the addition of frost skills to other classes, since Sorcerers, Necromancers, and Nightblades would all do slightly more damage with a Warden in the group using this debuff.
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    msalvia wrote: »
    Tales said it well, but to reiterate, 1) don't bring ice staff to anything competitive or overly difficult, and 2) make sure you aren't stealing taunt by disabling taunt passive. And for good measure 3) tell the group you're using frost but don't have the taunt. First thing most people are gonna think seeing a dps with frost staff is "this is gonna be a problem."

Yeah I wish they would remove the tanking aspect of the frost staff and create new magika based tanking line if that's the Goal. Maybe make an alteration magic skill line which would probably work the best for tanking based skills based on that magic type.
  • jcf190b14_ESO
    jcf190b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I actually came across a past build here on the forums when I did a Google search. I'm not sure it's still relevant as of the current game build, but it does seem as close as I can get to a frost/ice build.

oQNWPv5.jpg
    lg33FTw.jpg
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I actually came across a past build here on the forums when I did a Google search. I'm not sure it's still relevant as of the current game build, but it does seem as close as I can get to a frost/ice build.

Yes, this is a pretty good build still, @jcf190b14_ESO, for PvE content.

Getting all of these pieces, however, is a different story altogether.

Ysgramor’s and Siroria are pretty easy to farm. But, a vMA Ice Staff and Zaan are a bit harder. I wouldn’t gold out anything until you’re comfortable with this build and rotation.
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish... if frost staff and the unused morphs in winters embrace were reworked into viable dps options then perhaps magden would actually feel like a finished class... the one tree per role design strategy just isn't working for necro and warden
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Ahala_ wrote: »
    I wish... if frost staff and the unused morphs in winters embrace were reworked into viable dps options then perhaps magden would actually feel like a finished class... the one tree per role design strategy just isn't working for necro and warden

Also the frost staff taunt needs to go and then add crit damage :p
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I've been playing the game off and on for years, but I'm not well versed in many classes or builds. Aesthetically, I really like ice magic. I understand that the Warden has a tanking line dedicated to frost/ice, but are there any viable DPS builds that focus on ice magic (either using class skills, set bonuses, or destruction skills)? I'd use them even if they aren't top tier as I don't do end game raids and such.

Set wise, run Direfrost Keep and Frostvault and take a look at the sets which drop there, themed around frost and a couple of them are very interesting options for dps. Ysgramor's Birthright is always an option if the majority of the build is frost damage. Winterborn is another option - though its not an easy farm!

Monster set wise, Ice Heart is a great option if the build has enough crit.

I think it probably goes without saying, build around a Warden class. Thematically, Id also pick a Nord, though this may not be ideal dps wise, it certainly works for a tank.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Throw on an Ice Staff or two, and don’t heavy attack.

I would go Breton. That way, you’ll never even be tempted to heavy attack. There is no need for it.

The new False God Devotion Set from SunSpire Trial is fantastic, pretty much for any magic character. Pair that up with mother Sorrow works well. I’m sure a mother Sorrow Ice Staff can be bought very cheap.

I find Iceheart Monster Set really good for any magic build.

I used winter Born for a long time. It’s not bad. Great for solo stuff. I found the snares would slow things down enough I could deal with them more at my speed.

I tried the Icy Conjurer too. It looked better on paper than it performed. For me anyways? Idk? You might like it.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »

I tried the Icy Conjurer too. It looked better on paper than it performed. For me anyways? Idk? You might like it.

Id be really interested to know a bit more about your experience with Icy Conjurer, as I am considering using it on an elemental build I am creating.

On paper it looks like it can proc very easily off of the frost damage status effect or from the shock damage status effect, and from Destro staff skills like Pulsar and Ele-Drain... Theory crafting wise it seems possible to have close to 100% up time every 12 seconds...

Was it the damage or the proc regularity or the aesthetics you take issue with?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Icy Conjurer does proc a lot, but it’s against one target. It does around 30,000 damage over 8 seconds with a 12 second cooldown. Most mobs will be well good and dead way before you get the full value from it.

In PvP, it feels weak as the damage is half, and then mitigated. I guess it kind of puts pressure on, but it’s not bursty enough. I often get a lot of damage and assists in battlegrounds, but secure very few kills. That seems to be a common theme with wardens. Great utility, but lacks a strong finisher.

The aesthetics are cool.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvP, it feels weak as the damage is half, and then mitigated. I often get a lot of damage and assists in battlegrounds, but secure very few kills. That seems to be a common theme with wardens.

Same here on my Frost Warden.

Getting 20+ assists (even in battleground flag games) is common.

The main reason for my disclaimer at the top of the thread.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy Conjurer does proc a lot, but it’s against one target. It does around 30,000 damage over 8 seconds with a 12 second cooldown. Most mobs will be well good and dead way before you get the full value from it.

In PvP, it feels weak as the damage is half, and then mitigated. I guess it kind of puts pressure on, but it’s not bursty enough. I often get a lot of damage and assists in battlegrounds, but secure very few kills. That seems to be a common theme with wardens. Great utility, but lacks a strong finisher.

The aesthetics are cool.

Thanks for the reply. That seems fair enough.

I have created an elemental build, that is using visually aesthetic fire, shock and frost effects. I have shock and fire covered with Caluurion and Ilambris (Caluurion able to do frost and disease as well). Icy Conjuror seems to give me some guaranteed frosty action with some powerful single target damage.

I play mostly pve, so I am thinking Icy Conjuror could be a great addition vs bosses.

It would have to replace Mothers Sorrow, so it seems entirely possible my dps will drop... but its a fun themed build anyway, not for end game etc.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing: As long as you're not stealing taunt, ice magic IS viable. Between maim, chilled and tankiness, it can work (again, as long you aren't stealing taunt). HOWEVER, it's gonna be worse dps-wise than fire and lightning. Basically, if you like the aesthetics of ice and are ok with gimping your own damage, roll with it (again, as long as you aren't stealing taunt).

And I love mag tanking with an ice staff, so leave the tank passives alone, lol.