The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

"Pact Necromancers" and such -- retconned?

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Sometimes in non-Pact territories, for example, you see enemies labelled "Pact Necromancers" alongside other "normal" Pact soldier types and races.

Therefore, is a certain amount of open Necromancy allowed/expected, or did that all sort of get retconned with the Necromancer class and the introduction of Criminal Acts in certain skills?
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is allowed to join the war, even criminals. In fact, doing army time is one way to earn freedom.

It is similar to how your bounty does not matter in Cyrodiil or in any Alliance War zone.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer: "Practicing necromancy on humans or beast races is fine. Practicing necromancy on a Dunmer corpse is pure evil (unless its us doing it to our revered ancestors)."

The Rift is a pretty good example where the Pact is definitely using some necromancy of its own to combat the Reachmen.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 17, 2019 12:20AM
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer: "Practicing necromancy on humans or beast races is fine. Practicing necromancy on a Dunmer corpse is pure evil (unless its us doing it to our revered ancestors)."

The Rift is a pretty good example where the Pact is definitely using some necromancy of its own to combat the Reachmen.

It better to say now that using it on non pact members is fine as i doubt even the houses (that are part of the pact) would allow you to use necromacny on a nord or argonian.
  • AnomanderisPurake
    kaisernick wrote: »

It better to say now that using it on non pact members is fine as i doubt even the houses (that are part of the pact) would allow you to use necromacny on a nord or argonian.

Not really, we all know the Dunmer are in the Pact only because its politically advantageous. As of now, Morrowind is impregnable, protected by not one but three living gods. So they are only in the Pact to share in the spoils of war, I do not think they would have any compunction against using their fellow Pact races' corpses as puppets- although they may not openly say so. Just like how they will have no scruples over throwing their allies under the bus if the worst comes to be.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »

Not really, we all know the Dunmer are in the Pact only because its politically advantageous. As of now, Morrowind is impregnable, protected by not one but three living gods. So they are only in the Pact to share in the spoils of war, I do not think they would have any compunction against using their fellow Pact races' corpses as puppets- although they may not openly say so. Just like how they will have no scruples over throwing their allies under the bus if the worst comes to be.

I think the Akaviri snapped them out of any misguided belief that they were safe from outside forces. And the Daggerfall Covenant reinforced that truth. The Tribunal have a good number of Ls next to their names, so they arent exactly an "I Win" button for the Dunmer here. Their membership in the Pact brought about a large sweeping change to their social structure that resulted in one of the Great Houses opting out of the Alliance all together because of it. I seriously doubt they would have agreed to freeing the Argonian slaves if their Gods could protect them. The Dunmers cultural sacrifices indicates they have much more to gain from this Alliance than simply spoils of war.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt they would have agreed to freeing the Argonian slaves if their Gods could protect them.
    Hah, actually we haven't freed anyone - welcome to Sadrith Mora if you wish to buy one :D. Our slave hunters are still operating in Shadowfen and neither the Three nor the Grand Council has even wagged a finger at us ;). Because our Telvanni brothers do really well even outside the Pact (formally) for our cause. You remember that Telvanni spy on a sabotage mission at one of the most important Covenant shipyards at Tava's Blessing, Alik'r Desert? That's it ;).
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of the Alliances have practiced necromancy and each alliance has condemned it at the same time.
    No one faction is the good guy which allows moral grey areas and nuance when considering who you side with.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    All of the Alliances have practiced necromancy and each alliance has condemned it at the same time.
    No one faction is the good guy which allows moral grey areas and nuance when considering who you side with.

In most cases with AD and DC, its implied that the Worm Cult has infiltrated their ranks. In Bleakrock, the DC guy doing necromancy is an exile, for example. Otherwise, while we sometimes see their people like General Serien using necromancy on foreign soil, we rarely (IIRC, never) see it on their own soil by nontraitorous NPC..

On the other hand, we see Pact Dunmer soldiers using necromancy for the Pact as part of the Pact questline in the Rift, so yeah, definitely morally grey, as suits the Dunmer.