The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Main Quest Seems Stalled

KerinKor
KerinKor
✭✭✭✭✭
So like my previous question here this is likely a lack of knowledge on my part of post-Unlimited ESO.

My character is level 42, she's rank 5 in Fighters and Rank 4 in Mages, the last quest she had was to rescue Tharn and that was many levels ago, I would have expected to receive the next in the chain "The Tharn Speaks" by now but I haven't. Wiki browsing has come up with nothing more than it unlocks at level 25.

The only thing I can think of is maybe there's a conflict between this main quest which is triggered by Tharn and the Elswyr story which is also triggered by Tharn.

Can anyone suggest what I haven't done that is preventing this next main quest unlocking?
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it could be that. Tharn can't do both quests at once, so you need to finish one before the other can start. Check your journal to see if you have the other quest. You could abandon the one you don't want to do now, and pick it up again later.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ghastley is right. Same thing happened to me. I put in a help request. ZOS said there is a conflict between the Elsweyr prequel and receiving The Tharn Speaks. They said they're working on a fix but in the meantime recommended abandoning the Elsweyr prequel quest that I had in my quest log. I did so and it worked great. The next time I approached a town, Tharn's little banekin messenger appeared and gave me the quest. Hope that helps.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, great, thanks chaps .. sad that the programmer who implemented Elsweyr failed to check for and deal with this conflict, but then so much breaks in each update to ESO.

I did think about abandoning the Elsweyr one but once bitten, twice shy; I did that way back for a step in the main quest and it took ZOS over three weeks to fix it. Good to have it confirmed by @AcadianPaladin that doing so fixes this problem without causing others.

Thanks.

[edit]

It just occurred to me, @AcadianPaladin, do you recall how you re-acquired the Elsweyr quest once you were over this main quest step?
    Edited by KerinKor on July 10, 2019 9:58AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @KerinKor I never did pick that Elsweyr prequel quest up yet and will wait till I'm ready for it. That said, my elf is a DC character so I just took her into game and, sure enough, the Elsweyr prequel quest giver and her horse are waiting for her just outside the east gate of Daggerfall in Glenumbra with a quest arrow over her head. Looks like no problem to get the quest again after abandoning it. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I guess I'm in no rush to get to Elsweyr, I'll likely complete the original story before any of the newer stuff .. I've a lot to catch up on. :)
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to close out my own question ... I found the Stories section of the Collection system, not sure I even knew it was there as I don't remember it from the last time I played, and in there is the option to start the Elsweyr quest.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Ah, great, thanks chaps .. sad that the programmer who implemented Elsweyr failed to check for and deal with this conflict, but then so much breaks in each update to ESO.

I did think about abandoning the Elsweyr one but once bitten, twice shy; I did that way back for a step in the main quest and it took ZOS over three weeks to fix it. Good to have it confirmed by @AcadianPaladin that doing so fixes this problem without causing others.

Thanks.

[edit]

It just occurred to me, @AcadianPaladin, do you recall how you re-acquired the Elsweyr quest once you were over this main quest step?

There were multiple ways of acquiring the Elsweyr prequel quest. One, there was a free scroll in the crown store, but I don't think it's there any longer. You would read the scroll to start the quest. Two, there was a female NPC with a horse who would appear near wayshrines. As you passed her she would call out to you, something like "excuse me! Do you have a moment?" The third one is a guess but it may lead you straight into the first Elsweyr quest instead of the prequel. You can open the Elsweyr zone guide and click the option to begin or continue the zone story questline. Since I'm not in the game right now and we may be on different platforms I can't tell you the exact buttons to click for this.

Anyway, since the scroll is gone from the crown store (I think), your best bet would be to look for the woman with the horse to start the Elsweyr prequel.