Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Best Maelstrom Arena guide out there to cram FAST

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
So it appears that I have a limited amount of time left before I really suck again and I'm going to have to throw myself at MA and vMA in an utter panic. Which of the guides is the most current and the best to get through the thing quickly? Or is that a fool's errand and there's no real way to get through it quickly?
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joys VMA guide. I think you can find it either here or in the Dungeons, Trials, Arenas category.

But to be honest, almost every guide is going to be somewhat lengthy if it's any good. Until you learn all the mechanics, it'll feel like a lot is being thrown at you which is why the good guides will have a lot of information in it (priority adds, spawn points, etc...)
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the lag. Its exquisitely maddening.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both @Joy_Division's guide and @Alcast's online videos helped me back in the day ... with a few hints from fellow guildies whom had made it through.

Even though I did it first with a Pet Sorc (versus Alcast's video was with a Stamblade) it was still pretty helpful.

Good Luck!

Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 10, 2019 1:34AM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo play wise, we are only getting buffed though
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

Please define "we" in that context ...
    confused24.gif
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vMA doesn't just test your limits, it IMO also tests the limits of the combat engine. I've done it with a handful of different classes and builds. While knowledge of the mechanics helps, different builds can get stuck in different ways at different points of the arena. The problem with guides is that they may gloss over parts that the creator of the guide found easy, but that are difficult for you and your build. Even if you are running the same build, if your knowledge of spawn points and mechanics, or simply your DPS rotation, isn't up to the same standard, you will run into problems that the guide creator never had. Your solutions to the those problems may not be the same as theirs.

For example, in the very last round of the very last arena, I find being a single-target DOT based DK - not ground AOE based - really useful. The boss moves a lot. A DK is best placed to DOT him up and make inroads into his health while having time to deal with the adds inbetween the application of the DOTs. The worst case, in this fight, is a build that doesn't have enough DPS or is somehow not able to keep DPS on the boss and, therefore, gets bogged down by the adds without progressing the fight. However, that is not to say a DK shines in general.

At the extreme end you get people showcasing 610K+ runs on YouTube. Ignore those. You can learn nothing from them. They've got the mechanics internalised to the point where they can go in with complete glass cannons, do a perfect target-dummy-like rotation, and bypass huge chunks of the mechanics.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

confused24.gif

Rapid regen got doubled,
    Soul trap will be disgustingly good in vMA,
    Entropy is going to be awesome.

I am actually sorry your pets got nerfed (and not being rude or sarcastic, that playstyle was neat but a bit overtuned), but YOU got buffed heavily my dude. Revel in it! You'll have the equivalent of False God in a skill that's a fantastic dot.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let us know the class you're playing and at what stage you're running into problems and we can discuss more.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »

confused24.gif

Rapid regen got doubled,
    Entropy is going to be awesome.

I am actually sorry your pets got nerfed (and not being rude or sarcastic, that playstyle was neat but a bit overtuned), but YOU got buffed heavily my dude. Revel in it! You'll have the equivalent of False God in a skill that's a fantastic dot.
    Actually that is true. vMA will be easy mode next patch. I feel sad now.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if you can expand on this please? What is being done to soul trap to buff it so much?

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if you can expand on this please? What is being done to soul trap to buff it so much?

Besides it being a viable single target dot (even though it hits two mobs for something like a tooltip 2.7k dps), consuming trap will be restoring 5% of your max stamina, magicka, and hp when that target dies. For stam toons it's even better; cast a magicka ability to get stam back.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) double drops for event which is most likely in August

2) VMA weapons useless after August patch
  • cmvet
    cmvet
    ✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    1) double drops for event which is most likely in August

2) VMA weapons useless after August patch

Other than the Inferno/Lightning staff, how many vMA weapons do you see being used now. Most vma weapons are currently a dps loss, or you get better stats running a second 5 piece all the time. If anything, the vMA weapons need to be changed back to what they used to be.

Regarding OP, try running vma as a werewolf. You can be tanky while doing excellent damage. You can burn through mobs quick enough that you take some of the random mechanics out of it. I stuck a post about it in the player guide section.
    Edited by cmvet on July 16, 2019 4:04PM
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're 810 you can easily just pick up sigils as needed and potato right through. Only a couple mechanics nowadays that can't be ignored.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."