Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting: will I still get master writs if I do this?

ms_sophysticated
Hello everyone! I currently have 14 characters. and out of those 14. (12/14) are crafting certified. I am wondering if they are all at level 50 and I put skill points in different places if I will still get master writs and tempers? or does it even matter?

The reason that I am doing this is because I have a material farming plan, and I don’t want to have all of my skill points place at level 10 for all of them. I want them spread out so that when I choose to use them for farming they all will pick up a different type of material for each crafting profession. ( I hope the this makes sense.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1udSVxJrkLSyz4xFL0J_FCtRNTty2rBrEKA1iQEOxfC0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance.

Console/SERVER:PS4/NA
CHARACTER INFO:
mssophysticated-khajit-Stamina-Nightbliade
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get master writs from Crafting Writ rewards, you have to be doing the max tier writs.
  • ms_sophysticated
    To get master writs from Crafting Writ rewards, you have to be doing the max tier writs.

I was told that I just had to be level 50 crafting and that I would get them.
    CHARACTER INFO:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told that I just had to be level 50 crafting and that I would get them.

That's insufficient. You must do max tier Crafting Writs in order to get Master Writs as a reward. So for Blacksmithing, that requires rank 10 in Metalworking (which does require rank 50 in Blacksmithing to get) to be able to craft CP 150 gear with Rubedite in order to receive Blacksmithing master writs.

If you drop your rank in Metalworking so that you will get a 50% drop rate of, say, high iron ore, you will no longer be able to do max tier crafting writs. You'll only be able to do the crafting writs that require Steel armor and weapons, which do not give Master Writs as a reward.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crafting_Writs#Master_Writs
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, you need to max out the first item on each of the crafting skill lines so that you are using CP150 materials and making CP150 glyphs.

I have these maxed out on 8 of my 15 characters, with the rest doing lower level writs for surveys and reward mats.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ms_sophysticated
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Yep, you need to max out the first item on each of the crafting skill lines so that you are using CP150 materials and making CP150 glyphs.

I have these maxed out on 8 of my 15 characters, with the rest doing lower level writs for surveys and reward mats.

I think I might have to create more characters because I don’t want to abandon my farming plan.

CHARACTER INFO:
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »

I think I might have to create more characters because I don’t want to abandon my farming plan.

You'll still get some lower level mats from writ rewards, @ms_sophysticated. Maybe not enough to replace your farming plan but it's worth mentioning ...
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Your odds increase when crafting skill is at 50 and crafting ranks are at 10.
    Some motif styles enhance the odds of master writ's drop.

From what I recall from previous patch notes:

"The following Motifs will now contribute to your chance to acquire Master Writs: Apostle, Bloodforge, Dreadhorn, Ebonshadow, Fang Lair, Scalecaller, Worm Cult."
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"The following Motifs will now contribute to your chance to acquire Master Writs: Apostle, Bloodforge, Dreadhorn, Ebonshadow, Fang Lair, Scalecaller, Worm Cult."

Master writs ONLY drop on max level writs. Period.

If you do writs on lower tiers, you will NOT get master writs. Regardless of the "level" your crafting skill is at. You must be at level 50, and have maximum points into the crafting passive (1st for BS/WW/Cloth/JC/Alch, 2nd line for Enchanting/Provisioning)

Your odds of gold improvement materials is dependent on the level of writs that you do, with maximum chance at maximum level.

Yes, there are other things that increase the odds of receiving a master writ when you do max level writs.

Alchemy - Traits learned
    Enchanting - Runestones translated
    Provisioning - Number of Purple/Gold recipes known
    Jewelry - Number of traits researched
    WW/Cloth/BS - Number of FULL purple motifs known. (unlock the achievement corresponding to it)

The number of vouchers is completely random (obviously skewed towards purple, lower vouchers). Your "knowledge" does not increase the likelihood of "large" master writs, just the chance of receiving a master writ. From there it's random chance.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

These were added to the pool that also includes all "purple" motifs (daedric, ancient orc, Ra Gada, etc.) that were present before the above-mentioned were introduced. The blue, basic racial ones (redguard, orc, etc) do not increase your chances.

tmbrinks wrote: »
    level.

Yes, there are other things that increase the odds of receiving a master writ when you do max level writs.

Alchemy - Traits learned
    WW/Cloth/BS - Number of FULL purple motifs known. (unlock the achievement corresponding to it)

For WW/Cloth/BS the motif knowledge AND number of traits researched for each respective line increase the chance of getting a master writ.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    level.

Alchemy - Traits learned

For WW/Cloth/BS the motif knowledge AND number of traits researched for each respective line increase the chance of getting a master writ.

I've personally not seen this written anywhere officially, whereas the rest of them have all been stated in patch notes.

I have however, heard anecdotal evidence of what you're saying, that trait knowledge for BS/WW/Cloth increases the chances.

I purposefully only chose to write what has been officially stated, even if the other is true. (I'm also making all my crafters 9-trait, just in case it is true)

If there is an official statement that it does affect the drop rates (I'm doubtful, considering how nebulous ZOS has historically been about drop rates) I'd love to see it!
    Edited by tmbrinks on July 16, 2019 1:42PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    level.

Alchemy - Traits learned

I've personally not seen this written anywhere officially, whereas the rest of them have all been stated in patch notes.

I have however, heard anecdotal evidence of what you're saying, that trait knowledge for BS/WW/Cloth increases the chances.

I purposefully only chose to write what has been officially stated, even if the other is true. (I'm also making all my crafters 9-trait, just in case it is true)

If there is an official statement that it does affect the drop rates (I'm doubtful, considering how nebulous ZOS has historically been about drop rates) I'd love to see it!

@tmbrinks regarding the influence of trait research on master writ chances for WW/Cloth/BS, here's what I could dig up as far as official ZOS statements...

From their initial news release on the website Homestead Guide: Master Writs - "... Further, Master Writs are only awarded to players completing the hardest normal crafting Writs, and are more common when you have a lot of dedication. For example, Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and Clothier Master Writs are more common if you've done a lot of difficult research"... Now this is really vague, but they do use the term research. They also don't specifically mention motif knowledge, so the argument could be made that's what the term "research" is referencing.

However, my go-to standard for master writ information is one particular post by Jessica Folsom found here that answers a lot of questions, and includes this line, "Even with an optimal chance of getting one based on your knowledge (research and known Motifs), Master Writ invitations are quite uncommon."

and this one, "Completing all of your research and learning all the applicable Motifs is weighted very similarly."

Also I finally dug back and looked at the original Homestead patch notes, sorry for the format since I can't directly quote from those locked notes, but here's what Gina posted:

The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.
    • This includes research, Motif knowledge, and achievement completion.
    • Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking Master Writ drop rates are based on trait research and motif knowledge.
    • Alchemy is based on reagent effect knowledge.
    • Enchanting is based on known translations.
    • Provisioning is based on recipe knowledge. (Purple and Gold)
    Edited by Feric51 on July 18, 2019 3:11PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    level.

Alchemy - Traits learned

@tmbrinks regarding the influence of trait research on master writ chances for WW/Cloth/BS, here's what I could dig up as far as official ZOS statements...

From their initial news release on the website Homestead Guide: Master Writs - "... Further, Master Writs are only awarded to players completing the hardest normal crafting Writs, and are more common when you have a lot of dedication. For example, Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and Clothier Master Writs are more common if you've done a lot of difficult research"... Now this is really vague, but they do use the term research. They also don't specifically mention motif knowledge, so the argument could be made that's what the term "research" is referencing.

However, my go-to standard for master writ information is one particular post by Jessica Folsom found here that answers a lot of questions, and includes this line, "Even with an optimal chance of getting one based on your knowledge (research and known Motifs), Master Writ invitations are quite uncommon."

and this one, "Completing all of your research and learning all the applicable Motifs is weighted very similarly."

Also I finally dug back and looked at the original Homestead patch notes, sorry for the format since I can't directly quote from those locked notes, but here's what Gina posted:

The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.
    • Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking Master Writ drop rates are based on trait research and motif knowledge.

Awesome! I had never seen those quoted before. I wasn't really doing writs at the time of Homestead, so I must have missed it. I'm also pretty sure they haven't said anything about it since!

Thank you very much for digging those up! I'm very glad to see that!
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    level.

Alchemy - Traits learned

This actually makes sense when I consider the master writs I get. I get more WW writs than anything else. WW is the only skill line that I have completely researched out, 9 traits in everything. Jewelry comes next, but I destroy those. I'm 8 traits and only need swift in both pieces. After Jewelry I get BS writs, where I have 8 traits in everything and still have to complete the 9th on 7-8 items. After that I would say Clothing and Alchemy are of equal frequency. I have 7 traits throughout in clothing, 8th and 9th needed on 10-12 items. But I know all 4 traits of every alchemy item so you'd think I'd get more alchemy. I get very few Enchanting writs even though it's at level 50 and I have all passives invested plus know every translation for every rune. There's nothing more I can do to improve enchanting, or alchemy for that matter. I fully know 23 motifs; I recently counted because I wanted to know how close I was to the achievement for knowing 25. Even if I find a high value motif I learn it instead of selling it. I need to work on learning more motifs. I'm more concerned with becoming a master crafter than making gold for motifs and recipes/plans.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my notes on increasing your chances of master writs
    http://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-master-crafting-writs/#improving-chances

However, much of it has already been mentioned.It also includes some discussion about what happens as more motifs are added to the game.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps