The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

No Audio - temp solution

buffbeans
buffbeans
Hi all,

I too am experiencing the no in-game audio problem. After several repairs, etc, etc, the only thing I can put it down to is launching from an external hard-drive. I copied the files over to my Macbook Pro's SSD, ensuring the correct default file path "/Applications/Zenimax Online". When opening Launcher from this directory, I had no issues with getting audio in-game.

The problem this causes is that my ssd is 120gb, and this game takes up more than 25% of that currently, requesting a minimum of half of this space. I have no problems with WoW running directly from the external, and I'd expect the same from ESO.

My question is - If the launcher app stays on the ssd, but the rest of the files (the "The Elder Scrolls Online" folder ~33gb) are located on my external drive, can I redirect to the externals file path, without having any audio issues or having to use up half of my computers storage?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @buffbeans Try the suggestion in this thread opening post from running ESO on another partition or HD. Not sure if that will work for audio issue to which can be caused by not running it on the default Mac Volume.

Also ensure there are no spaces in the other volume name which can also cause problems for either.

Using the way posted, you should be able to use the Launcher on the other drive. Not sure if the audio will work also like this but as it works generally then hopefully it should.

Depending on the connection of the external drive you may have issues in-game in crowded or PvP situations but that's separate.
  • buffbeans
    buffbeans
    Hmmm, I've been completely unsuccessful in getting audio when running from the external, connected via usb. It's very frustrating having to use my remaining ssd storage just so i can listen to the game's audio.

There's no spaces in my external volume either. Surely there's some piece of code somewhere that tells the launcher where to pull the files from, and I'm too tired to continue trying to find it tonight. But this is a pretty serious downfall.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    buffbeans wrote: »
    Hmmm, I've been completely unsuccessful in getting audio when running from the external, connected via usb. It's very frustrating having to use my remaining ssd storage just so i can listen to the game's audio.

There's no spaces in my external volume either. Surely there's some piece of code somewhere that tells the launcher where to pull the files from, and I'm too tired to continue trying to find it tonight. But this is a pretty serious downfall.
    Did you follow the instructions in the linked thread to make a duplicate home folder? That at least ensures the settings are other files are created and will run it.

Given that other players have been able to get the game working fine in another partition etc.it's either some other issue not identified with the install or the fact it's on an external HD.

You can try setting up symlinks though it's not something I have done.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 13, 2014 4:05PM
  • buffbeans
    buffbeans
    Duplicating and relocating the home directory hasn't worked for me.

Can I just clarify, the people that have it working from the external drive, do they have the Zenimax Online folder in the applications folder on the main drive? If so, does it contain both launcher and The Elder Scrolls Online folder?

My main aim is to get everything working as it should be without having to have The Elder Scrolls Online folder on my main drive as its the one taking up the space.