Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Nature and Origins of Vampires

Thevampirenight
Thevampirenight
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
By an Anonymous Vampire
Vampires also known as Nightstalkers, Nosferatu or Vampyres are creatures of revulsion, fascination, terror or pity within peoples hearts and minds of the People of the Mundus. Vampires romanticized and hated with in Books and Scripture. But what makes most people hate or fear them is not their origins but the Predatory nature of Vampires and their blood thirst causing them to be feared and Shunned by most of the races of Tamriel and for good reason.

Most assume Molag Bal has sole authority on Vampires and anything Vampire related not exactly true. At least three other daedric princes are involved within the creation of the first vampires and all will be mentioned here within this book. The Princes involved are the Daedric Princes most noted to either demand, steal or collect Mortal Souls and memories. Arkay the protector and creator of Souls stood in their way. Molag Bal, Hircine, Clavicus Vile and Vaermina all had good reason to hate and loath Arkay. In fact most of the Princes hate Arkay the most for hindering their efforts to collect and steal Mortal Souls but none had more hatred for Arkay then Molag Bal.

Vampires can be one of five different types and the type of vampire they are determines their fate and the Ada that represents them. This is do to the the concept that anything that is created must have other elements or materials to shape it. Hence the five types of vampire are all part of what make up the first vampire and thus make up all vampires in general even if they are not connected to Lamae Bal herself. They still come into one of the five types.
Tyrant Vampires, dominate and enslave they fall under the Domain and authority of Molag Bal. All Tyrant Vampires go to Coldhabour upon death along with all those who made deals with Molag Bal to become vampires.
Terrorizing Vampires cause terror, fear and full nightmares for the living.They fall under the domain of Vaermina. Terrorizing vampires could end up going to Quagmire upon death.
Feral Vampires who are not bloodfiends but blood bandits acting like Stalkers, Hunters and Scavengers in their predatory methods fall under the Domain of Hircine. These vampires can end up going to the Hunting Grounds upon death.
Beguiler Vampires, Blend into society and influence it. Fall under the Domain of Clavicus Vile. These vampires will end up going to the Fields of Regret upon Death.
Liberator Vampires can come in two shades but pretty much the same, they either Fight against the tyrant or the betrayer or protect the living and dead by only feeding on the willing or animals and never killing . These types of vampires fall under the domain of Arkay/Malacath. They are free to go to Aetherius upon Death.

How the five kinds of vampires came about.
Lamae Beofang was a nedic virgin , a priestess of Arkay was ravaged by Molag Bal. Molag Bal plants the seed in this case his blood. Molag Bal Becomes the Patriarch after he ravaged the priestess and gave her his blood this was only the start of the nightmare that was to come. Her fellow priests found her fearful of why her wounds were healing so quickly. Finding it a bad omen, the fear of what was happening drove them to burn her alive. Vaermina as the patron of evil omens and nightmares becomes the Matriarch the Mother of vampires at this point. As this is where vampirism is born. Hircine, hungry cat comes in when the blood, hunger she must have felt and thirst along with the pain causes Lamae to Lose herself like a werewolf she lashes out not only killing but feasting upon her fellow priests of arkay in a savage feeding frenzy. Only three managed to survive it all but they too ended up becoming vampires. Lamae then regains her senses and civility which falls under the Domain of Vile what she has done. Calls out to Arkay to undo it. But at this point it could not be undone. Arkay betrays Lamae and Arkay is forever maimed and at this point. Lamae curses and swore to destory both her ravager and her betrayer.She then becomes the Liberator seeking both Justice and Vengeance. Turning against ravager and betrayer. Calling upon her children to do the same.

Vampire powers are all tied to the four daedric princes and Arkay as not even vampires can escape death if killed.
The Dominating Power Vampires possess over Mortals are a Gift of Molag Bal. The Dominator of Souls
The Summoning and conjuration of Gargoyles, Bats powers all link back to the Prince of Nightmares and are a gift of Vaermina. The Physiological Torturer of Souls. Enemy of Magnus the Sun, she is the reason why vampires burn underneigh his gaze.
The power to transform into mist, bats and other creatures the gift of the Trapper and Hunter of Souls Hircine.
The power to blend in with Mortals and withstand sunlight when well fed. The Gift of Clavicus Vile,The Lord of Souls.
The ability and choice to be monsters or become more then just a monster by helping the living or the dead and escaping the Patrons of Vampirism is the Gift of Arkay the Protector and Creator of Souls. The possiblity of being cured altogether is also a gift of Arkay.

(feel free to tell me what you think this is more of a head canon creation don't treat it as canon. ))
Edited by Thevampirenight on July 13, 2019 11:23AM
PC NA
Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Akihiro
    Akihiro
    This is all very interesting information. So Molag Bal isn't the creator of all vampires. I assumed Molag Bal was the creator and sole authority of vampires, but I guess not. So just to confirm, Molag Bal, Hircine, Calvicus Vile, and Vaermina were all involved in creating vampires. Just these four?

I'm actually not too familiar with the lore, but are the other daedric princes (Hircine, Clavicus Vile and Vaermina) completely evil?

It seems like Beguiler Vampires and Liberator Vampires are neutral/good. Is this correct?

Do you mind sharing your source(s) for this lore information?

Since you know so much about vampire lore in eso, I'd like to know if two vampires can have full fledged vampiric offspring?
    Edited by Akihiro on July 12, 2019 8:29AM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Could you cite sources for this stuff? I've read quite a bit of Vampire lore across the UESP, the Fandom wiki, TIL, and other sources, and I don't remember ever hearing about most of this.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    Any sources or citations for any of this stuff? Never heard about Clavicus or Hircine making strains. Iirc ALL vamps go to Coldharbour cause Bal unleashed vampirism onto Tamriel :thinking:
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all 100% headcanon nonsense. Take this crap Elsweyr

I really hope I dont encounter anyone trying to RP this stuff. Id have to put them on ignore.
    Edited by Imperial_Voice on July 12, 2019 2:27PM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to do some investigating once I got home from the doctor, and while I'm still more than receptive to citations and resources that cite legitimate TES lore regarding Vampires, I couldn't find anything to back up most of this.

Vampires also known as Nightstalkers, Nosferatu or Vampyres are creatures of revulsion, fascination, terror or pity within peoples hearts and minds of the People of the Mundus. Vampires romanticized and hated with in Books and Scripture. But what makes most people hate or fear them is not their origins but the Predatory nature of Vampires and their blood thirst causing them to be feared and Shunned by most of the races of Tamriel and for good reason.
    This is all pretty much true. It's established that in the universe of TES, Vampires, Werebeasts, many Daedra, Liches, and other such 'supernatural beings' are generally feared and hated by the common person in Tamriel, with some races (like Altmer and Redguard) hating them with a somewhat worrying intensity.

Most assume Molag Bal has sole authority on Vampires and anything Vampire related not exactly true. At least three other daedric princes are involved within the creation of the first vampires and all will be mentioned here within this book. The Princes involved are the Daedric Princes most noted to either demand, steal or collect Mortal Souls and memories. Arkay the protector and creator of Souls stood in their way. Molag Bal, Hircine, Clavicus Vile and Vaermina all had good reason to hate and loath Arkay. In fact most of the Princes hate Arkay the most for hindering their efforts to collect and steal Mortal Souls but none had more hatred for Arkay then Molag Bal.
    Nothing I could find supports that any other Prince had anything to do with Lamae Bal's rebirth as a Vampire. Molag Bal is the only Prince ever mentioned, even by Lamae herself in the quest associated with becoming an actual Vampire in ESO. While Vile is rumored to have 'made' at least one strain of Vampirism, I didn't seen anything that links either Vaemina or Hircine to the creation of any strains, and certainly none of them had anything to do with Lamae's transformation.

Molag Bal is the originator and creator of the Vampire 'species'. Other Princes have 'made' their own strains, perhaps, but they didn't create Vampires from scratch. Much in the same way Sheo is said to have copied Lycanthropy to make a Weredaedroth, other Princes copied Molag's original creation to make their own off-shoots. None of them, as far as I can tell, had anything to do with the initial creation of the first Vampire. Vile's connection to the Vampires is just that he 'created' or 'altered' Cyrodilic Vampires, and Vaermina apparently has something to do with a cure from what I could so, but neither of these Princes had any hand in making Vampires as a whole.

Vampires can be one of five different types and the type of vampire they are determines their fate and the Ada that represents them. This is do to the the concept that anything that is created must have other elements or materials to shape it. Hence the five types of vampire are all part of what make up the first vampire and thus make up all vampires in general even if they are not connected to Lamae Bal herself. They still come into one of the five types.
    Tyrant Vampires, dominate and enslave they fall under the Domain and authority of Molag Bal. All Tyrant Vampires go to Coldhabour upon death along with all those who made deals with Molag Bal to become vampires.
    Terrorizing Vampires cause terror, fear and full nightmares for the living.They fall under the domain of Vaermina. Terrorizing vampires could end up going to Quagmire upon death.
    Feral Vampires who are not bloodfiends but blood bandits acting like Stalkers, Hunters and Scavengers in their predatory methods fall under the Domain of Hircine. These vampires can end up going to the Hunting Grounds upon death.
    Beguiler Vampires, Blend into society and influence it. Fall under the Domain of Clavicus Vile. These vampires will end up going to the Fields of Regret upon Death.
    Liberator Vampires can come in two shades but pretty much the same, they either Fight against the tyrant or the betrayer or protect the living and dead by only feeding on the willing or animals and never killing . These types of vampires fall under the domain of Arkay/Malacath. They are free to go to Aetherius upon Death.
    I looked up these terms specifically and found nothing at all to support their existence. Vampires aren't classified by types like this, they're classified by what strain it is they were infected with. From what I remember there are lore-wise over a hundred different strains, though we only have IC info on about 20-ish of them or so.

Feral Vampires are not of Hircine's domain; they're merely Vampires that have literally gone insane, whether it's from lack of blood or some other reason. There's nothing tying them to Hircine. It sort of loops back to the previous point. None of these Vampire 'types' are tied so firmly to the Princes that are indicated here. Also, there's nothing I found that supports Vampires going to Aetherius, and most certainly nothing that indicates Arkay has any domain over any kind of Vampire. Considering that he abandoned one of his own Priestesses when she was turned, I have my doubts that he would be a patron to any other group of Vampires.

How the five kinds of vampires came about.
    Lamae Beofang was a nedic virgin , a priestess of Arkay was ravaged by Molag Bal. Molag Bal plants the seed in this case his blood. Molag Bal Becomes the Patriarch after he ravaged the priestess and gave her his blood this was only the start of the nightmare that was to come. Her fellow priests found her fearful of why her wounds were healing so quickly. Finding it a bad omen, the fear of what was happening drove them to burn her alive. Vaermina as the patron of evil omens and nightmares becomes the Matriarch the Mother of vampires at this point. As this is where vampirism is born. Hircine, hungry cat comes in when the blood, hunger she must have felt and thirst along with the pain causes Lamae to Lose herself like a werewolf she lashes out not only killing but feasting upon her fellow priests of arkay in a savage feeding frenzy. Only three managed to survive it all but they too ended up becoming vampires. Lamae then regains her senses and civility which falls under the Domain of Vile what she has done. Calls out to Arkay to undo it. But at this point it could not be undone. Arkay betrays Lamae and Arkay is forever maimed and at this point. Lamae curses and swore to destory both her ravager and her betrayer.She then becomes the Liberator seeking both Justice and Vengeance. Turning against ravager and betrayer. Calling upon her children to do the same.
    The only thing out of this that I've found and/or know to be lore-based is the fact that Bal defiled Lamae, and when her clergy thought her dead they decided to burn her 'corpse' to prevent any sort of contamination. Lamae rose before that could happen and sort of ate them. She did beseech Arkay to help her, but he pretty much was all, "Haha nope sorry loser you're on your own now" and didn't answer her pleas. At no point does she mention anything about any other Prince having a hand in this, and nothing I've seen mentions it either. Vaermina is mentioned as playing a part in a cure, but not having anything to do with Lamae's turning or being a 'Matron' of Vampires. Nothing mentions Hircine at all that I saw, and Vile's only contact with Vampires that I'm aware of and found anything on was when he did some stuff involving Cyrod Vampires. I also don't recall any of the clergy surviving Lamae's attack when she woke, but that could just be my bad memory coming into play.

Vampire powers are all tied to the four daedric princes and Arkay as not even vampires can escape death if killed.
    The Dominating Power Vampires possess over Mortals are a Gift of Molag Bal. The Dominator of Souls
    The Summoning and conjuration of Gargoyles, Bats powers all link back to the Prince of Nightmares and are a gift of Vaermina. The Physiological Torturer of Souls. Enemy of Magnus the Sun, she is the reason why vampires burn underneigh his gaze.
    The power to transform into mist, bats and other creatures the gift of the Trapper and Hunter of Souls Hircine.
    The power to blend in with Mortals and withstand sunlight when well fed. The Gift of Clavicus Vile,The Lord of Souls.
    The ability and choice to be monsters or become more then just a monster by helping the living or the dead and escaping the Patrons of Vampirism is the Gift of Arkay the Protector and Creator of Souls. The possiblity of being cured altogether is also a gift of Arkay.
    Again, nothing I found supports any of this. Nothing indicates that any of the four listed Princes have anything to do with the things mentioned here, aside from Vile and his connection to the Vampires he 'created'. Nothing states that Arkay has bestowed any sort of morality or choice onto Vampires, especially when he, again, ignored one of his own Priestesses when she was turned. Also, Arkay has nothing to do with curing Vampires; that seems to fall under Vaermina's sphere, though nothing I saw ever seems to state why.

Essentially, this really all does seem to be a lot of headcanon. Again I'm totally open to citations and stuff on any of this, as I enjoy learning more about Vampirism in TES (especially since my main is a Vamp of a strain I homebrewed), but if this is meant to be more of an 'unreliable narrator' and your own personal spin on the lore, I would strongly suggest editing the OP to indicate it as such, and not as actual 100% TES lore on the subject.
    Edited by Arunei on July 12, 2019 5:02PM
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Akihiro
    Akihiro
    Arunei wrote: »
    Can you tell me more about strains?
    Can the other daedric princes (Hircine, Clavicus Vile and Vaermina) create their own strain of vampirism? And let's say if one of them, aside from Molag Bal, created a different strain. Would they be the sole authority over that vampire?
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Akihiro
    There are numerous different strains of Vampire, each one having certain powers or abilities or quirks unique to that strain. Whenever a Vampire infects someone, they 'inherit' that strain, as well as all its pros and cons. You could call them bloodlines in a way, and a lot of people often refer to them as that.

Vampires who are the first of their strain are considered purebloods, the strain undiluted from being passed down from sire to fledgling. For example, imagine having a purebred dog. Let's pretend this dog can have puppies on her own, but every puppy she has is less pure breed and more of a mongrel. Eventually, generations down the line, her pups will have become a different breed entirely.

That's one way Vampire strains come into existence, when there's a mutation or change in an existing strain that branches off its own way. Then there's what you asked, with other Princes making their own 'strains'. I only know of Vile altering a strain himself; I don't think he created a new one. Bal was the sole creator of Vampires, and while other Princes can alter or mimic them, he's the one who initially created them.

It's debated whether Bal would claim any dominion over Vamps in general, including those altered by other beings, but I'm of the mindset that any strain that descended from Lamae Bal's original one would at least be subject to Bal's claim after death.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the main method how someone becomes a pureblood. Generally the Vampirism in purebloods come from Bal himself, and it doesn't have to only be the progenitors of a new strain. Bal can directly make someone a pureblood Vamp, such as Daughters of Coldharbour. He could also bestow other strains such as the Vampire Lord you see in Harkon in the Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim. Purebloods don't always have to be the start of a new strain.
    Edited by Arunei on July 12, 2019 9:00PM

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Akihiro
    Akihiro
    @Arunei
    What exactly do you mean by "mimic". Do you mean that other daedric princes are capable of creating their own vampires - using Molag Bal's version of vampires as an example?

Also, are all of the daedric princes completely evil? I'm kind of new to all this lore, so I just want to make sure on this point.

And lastly, I've been asking around quite a bit, but haven't come across an answer. You seem very knowledgeable on elder scrolls vampire lore. Would two pure blood vampires be able to have full fledged vampiric offspring? It has been confirmed that half-vampires can be born (The Gray Prince is a half-vampire), but what of pureblooded vampires? (I'm asking about child birth specifically.)
    Edited by Akihiro on July 12, 2019 9:17PM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Akihiro
    Yeah, the Princes are capable of taking ideas and such from one another and applying it to their own stuff, like when Sheo made a Weredaedroth even though Werebeasts were Hircine's creation. So while the only thing we really hear about in terms of other Princes 'making' any sort of Vampire is what Vile does for the Cyrod strain, it's safe to assume if the other Princes really wanted to crate their own versions of Vamps using Bal's template as it were as a base, they'd be more than capable of it.

As for the Princes all being 'evil', some of them could be considered such without exception, like Molag Bal. Others aren't evil per se as much as they'll take advantage of others, like Vile. Then you have the ones who are considered 'good' who don't generally go out of their way to make life miserable for those of Nirn, like Azura or Meridia, but who will just as readily use someone to further their own means than not. Then there's Sanguine, who's pretty much the Daedric Prince of College Partying haha. He can cause a lot of mischief and stuff but he's generally considered pretty chill as far as powerful Daedric beings go, but even he isn't necessarily 'good'; his Sphere of Influence is Debauchery, and he's all about encouraging things like temptation, excess, and vice in mortals.

As for Vampires being able to have kids, that's something that the lore never really either supports or denies 100%. You'll find a lot of TES lore is like that actually; it can be vague and open to interpretation. People seem to be split about it; some believe that Vampires, being Undead, are incapable of having children at all, and that the stuff with the Gray Prince is more 'unreliable narrator' (which is how most TES lore is presented) than actual proof. Others believe that Vampires are capable of having kids, but only if it's a mortal/Vamp pairing. I personally chalk it up to any given Vampire's strain; Cyrodilic Vampires are practically 'alive' as it were so long as they remain well-fed. Some strains may retain the ability to bear children, others might not. The one I homebrewed isn't capable of having kids. Since there's nothing in lore that seems to 100% without doubt say yes Vamps can or have kids or no they can't, whether mortal/Vamp or Vamp/Vamp, is one of those things you kind of have to draw your own conclusions over.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Akihiro
    Akihiro
    @Arunei
    Thank you so much for your information!
    I have more questions for you! Would it be possible for the other daedric princes to create a vampire from scratch? We know vampires are sort of Molag Bal's idea, and he was the first one to create vampires, but I want to know if there are possibly other vampires out there not under Molag Bal's dominion?

My other question is if there is such a thing as "good" vampires?

Sorry for all the questions... :sweat_smile:
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Akihiro
    I don't mind questions haha. It's how people learn :D.

As far as anyone making a Vampire from scratch, I'm honestly not sure if any of the Princes could, or if there are other ways of doing it. As it is, Bal didn't 'create' Vampires from scratch himself, he just warped and altered what already existed of a mortal. I think if any of the other Princes did the same they could theoretically create their own Vampires, though it's hard to say if they could or not. It could be that Bal's unique way of twisting a mortal gave way to the first Vampire, and the ways other Princes might twist mortals would result in something different. They can alter what already exists, including other Vampires, since we've seen Vile do it. In the end, there's nothing I'm aware of that would answer one way or the other if another Prince could successfully create their own Vampires 'from scratch' like Bal did, or if anything of their own meddling would be fundamentally different. They might just be stuck with changing up the template of Vampires that already exist and making their own Vamps that way, though in the end whether they'd have claim to those Vampires' souls or if Bal would isn't something anyone could say one way or the other.

As for the other question, there can certainly be good Vampires. Serana from the Dawnguard DLC is a good example. Count Verandis Ravenwatch in ESO is another example. Being turned into a Vampire doesn't necessarily turn a person evil; they'll usually still retain their personality even after being turned, though there are definitely cases where being turned can cause a normally good person to go rogue like Lamae did, or to become outright evil. I'd say it would depend on a lot of factors; what the person was like before being turned, how they were turned, the kind of life they lived, how they'd react to such a thing, whether they're the sort to let power go to their head, and so on. My main, for example, was a good person when she was turned. She retained her personality through it and is still a good person, but she's accidentally hurt people in the past. Just because a character is good doesn't mean they can't make mistakes, sometimes really bad ones.

Edited by Arunei on July 13, 2019 6:58AM

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Akihiro
    Akihiro
    @Arunei
    Awh thanks! I'm just so new and very curious haha. I have even more question :joy: Is there a reason a good vampire would choose not to get cured? Also, are some vampires unable to be cured from their vampirism? For example, if someone is born a vampire (if that is even possible) or a half-vampire, would they be able to be cured? Would there be some cases where they are unable to be cured?
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, this is fan fiction. It might be what the author believed it was something I cooked up going on the lore of those we know have connections to vampirism for sure. We know four princes at least have connections to it. Molag Bals Quest in Morrowind, says Vaermina is the one for the cure. Also the one that sends the nightmares Vampires receive as Nightmare might not be Molag Bal as that Domain belongs to Vaermina. Lamae Bals Vampiric birth was unique she became both a evil omen and a night terror. She has power over dreams as we know she can send them. There is hint of Hircine being directly involved with her vampire strains unique immunity to sunlight which I think is just a wild theory of some in game book author kinda like this fan fiction. But there is another Hircine connection with another vampire strain. If you look into this book one might see the connection with all four daedric princes. Even if it does not say it directly. and I will explain.
    https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Manifesto_Cyrodiil_Vampyrum

Cyrodiil Vampyrum is a clan connected to Clavicus Vile we know he altered them. On Our Rivals section in the book is very interesting.
    Glenmoril Wyrd sololy worships Hircine. It is known they are deeply connected to Hircine. Its in the lore that they are. They so happen to be the the main rivals to the Cyrodiil Clan.
    Whet Fang keep their victims catatonic either by making them unable to move at all while still aware or through sleep I'm guessing the latter. Catatonic Sleep and victims possibly always asleep like the cattle in the vile lair. Something that could maybe be associated with the Daedric Prince of Nightmares.

Unrelated but wanted to talk about these clans too.
    Khajiit Vampires and Morrowind Vampires seem to be more unique and interesting.

Tenarr Zalviit are unique khajjit vampires their lore mentions that
    Under their Clan Mother, they lived a peaceful and pacifist life for many centuries, co-existing with the living Khajiit by watching over their dead in exchange for blood offerings
    Protectors, Guardians of the dead. Something Arkay Priests typically do. I'm wondering if the Khajiit vampire strains were created by Sangiin who I feel is more of a mix of Arkay and Molag Bal. We might find out more with the next update on this. As hes the god of Bloodlust, Death also known as the bloodcat and worship is hidden from Magrus. I can see a vampire connection there.

Morrowind Vampires seem to be connected to the Warrior, Thief and Mage Concept maybe do to the unique nature of the three demigods or maybe the three supposed good daedra themselves.
    The four vampire kinds mirror the relationships between the three Good daedra and Malacath. Tribunal and Dagoth Ur.
    Audane-Azura/Sothia Sil
    Berne- Mephala/Vivec
    Quarra- Boethiah/ Almalexia
    Outcast Vampires-Malacath/Dagoth Ur Malacath because he has the sphere of outcasts and being protector or patron of the scorned. There is another reason for this connection too.
    Trinimac might have betrayed and murdered his king taking on the face of Boethiah. Then having his lies or whatever exposed was crapped out or his truth self revealed. For his actions. This mirrors with Dagoth Ur who betrayed Nerevar and caused his death wounds. And for those actions his house was stripped and name basically purged. But hes remembered as the traitor and is demonized in the same manner Malacath and his orcs are. Orcs don't have a provenience of their own. Dagoths house the members or decendents rise up try to rebuild their house as seen in Eso. Only for it to fall, in a repeating cycle. Just like Orcs and their city. So Yeah Outcast Vampires would possibly mirror that relationship in Morrowind. Or the divide between Temple Dunmer and Ashlanders. Either way I believe they might try to form their own clan from time to time only to fall to the other three warring clans. .

Anyways one has to look and really study the lore the quests, the dialog the books, and see and look at the full picture. Yes Molag Bal is the undisputed Father of Vampires. But do they belong to Molag Bal alone? As Spheres overlap with one another not to mention the possiblity the Elder Scrolls reality might be one big dream that comes from the godhead if you consider MIchael Kirkbrides deep Lore along with its direct mention in one of the blackbooks.https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Black_Book:_Waking_Dreams_(book)

In this case Molag Bal wouldn't even be the creator of Vampires. Anu would be the creator of everything including vampires because hes the godhead. All come from Anu. Molag Bal was just the means he placed them into through his dream into the mundus. So Molag Bal wouldn't be the creator. He just introduced them because Anu dreamed of Molag Bal introducing vampires.

Even if its not connected too the godhead concept it seems to go back to spat between Molag Bal and Arkay. Molag Bals goal with vampirism was corrupt the Arkayn Cycle. For one reason or another. Molag Bal wanted Souls and Arkay wouldn't let him have any is my guess once he maimed Arkay he and other princes could divert souls possibly to their realms.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on July 13, 2019 11:53AM
    PC NA
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vampirism has been shown to be able to be created from non Daedric means from the art of Alchemy. One method was mentioned in Oblivion but this was for vampiric plants. https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Amantius_Allectus'_Diary .This diary that talked about them mentioned
    Two parts grave dust, one part ash salts. Mix with human blood.

There know there was one alchemically bred Vampire. Created by members of the mages guild within Eso using some means of recreating the condition through alchemy.
    Also Sheo didn't make a daedra werewolf @Arunei
    Hircine gave a daedra lycanthropy to fight whatever Sheogorath Came up with. He just used an existing creature to kick the daedra cursed with Lycanthropies butt by causing it to kill itself.

As for other daedric princes creating other vampire strains I think its possible. Since Alchemy can be used to recreate Vampirism so could other Daedric Princes if they wanted too. I have a theory that werewolf lords were based off the vampire model. Hircine changed it up and made his own thing. But Werewolf Lords and stable manbeasts have many similarities to Vampires. Including the immortality I believe. Normal Werewolves seem to be corrupted by the soul while vampires seem more corrupt the body and blood. Lycanthropy infects the soul and blood and through that he can nab souls of lycanthropes that is my theory.

Vampires I think are free upon death. Unless they made some sort of deal with Molag Bal. You kill Azuras vampire turned followers in Oblivion and she tells you they are free. If they went to Molag Bal they wouldn't be free. Given he can't cure his own poison is another factor plus the events of eso might have freed every soul bound to go to Molag Bal at the time. This would include vampires unless they were devote worshipers like Harkon. I doubt he would have any power to claim their souls again or claim those cut off from his grasp do to his defeat.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on July 13, 2019 12:04PM
    PC NA
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Akihiro
    It would really depend on the Vampire's personality. The ones who want to use their abilities, whether for good or harm, might decide to keep the affliction despite the fact that they'll probably end up in Coldharbour or some other plane of Oblivion. Others might not know *how* to cure themselves, or may be incapable of doing what's necessary. There are numerous methods of cures from across the different games, so I'm not quite sure how much stock to put by the thing about only Vaermina having the ability to cure a Vampire. Some of the cures are mechanics of the game, but others seem like they could be actual IC methods that have nothing to do with Vaermina, like the potion you can get in Oblivion.

That sort of ties in with your other question too. There's a method of curing Vamps that involves the use of a filled Black Soul Gem, and I know people who think that this particular method is capable of curing *any* Vampire strain. But since Bal himself seems to be incapable of curing Vampirism himself, I actually don't know if that'd be the case or not. There's also the fact that there are dozens and dozens and dozens of strains that we have NO information on whatsoever. It's entirely possible that there are strains that, for whatever reason, can't be cured. There's nothing I know of that states 100% either way if that's the case or not.

In the case of Vamp kids, as far as I'm aware the affliction can't be passed down because it's not a genetic thing, it's a curse, a disease of the soul. The Gray Prince had apparently inherited certain abilities from his father, but that could simply be from how interacial pairings work in terms of kids. The child will take on the race of the mother, but can inherit traits from the father, such as complexion, height, eye or hair color, and that sort of thing. It could just be the Gray Prince only inherited Vampire-like traits from his father because the father can pass stuff on to the child to begin with.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Akihiro
    Akihiro
    @Arunei
    I do like the idea there could possibly be a few strains of vampirisim out there that cannot be cured. I hope more information comes out in regards to this one day.

It seems like The Gray Prince's father was a vampire when he got his mother pregnant. Is this correct? So would he not technically be a half-vampire in this case? I was under the impression The Gray Prince was stronger than usual because he had some vampire in him. One character named Owyn says this: "Agronak is good, yeah. Too good. He says he's half Orc. What I want to know is: what's the other half? 'Cos it sure ain't human."

I had interpreted Owyn's statement in this way:

Although Owyn knows The Gray Prince is half Orc, he puts emphasis on what his other half could be. I suppose in normal circumstances, this could be an off-hand comment. However, within the context of this quest line, I had interpreted this statement as a clue The Gray Prince was not like other people of mixed heritage, and that there was something more to it...

Owyn is aware that The Gray Prince is a half Orc, or rather, that The Gray Prince is the product of an interracial pairing. I assume it is common knowledge that someone's abilities can be inherited from their father in the in-game universe. (Is this correct?) Despite knowing this, Owyn still believes there is something not quite right.

Do you think whether someone can be born a half-vampire or not is something that is just up to the player's interpretation?
    Edited by Akihiro on July 13, 2019 6:29PM