The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting Research Idea

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
One painful thing about being an altoholic is that I also feel compelled to research everything on all my characters. This means my bank space (maxed) is constantly full with things to research.

This will of course reduce over time and you can delete something and just make a new one of that type when you need it, but that requires tracking what you have researched outside the game (such as on a tablet app, great tool, but a pain to keep updated) and it also requires swapping characters to craft an item you need to research, something that is quite time consuming, even if everyone is sitting in the crafting area in Alinor (for example).

How about adding some knowledge of what my other characters have learned. Then allow me to research any trait as long as that trait is known by another one of my characters? You could take out a trait material and enough mats to craft it (level 1 would be ideal for me, but I could live with my current level or even max level) so that way it would do the same as me jumping on the other character, crafting the item, putting it in my bank and then jumping back.

A related item would be to also know which traits have been researched on another character and possibly which character(s) it is. This would keep you from deconstructing something you really need.

I know this is only a temporary problem until everyone learns everything, but that is a fair ways down the road. The pain in this hits newer players more, which is not a good thing if you want them to be happy with the game.

Keep in mind that you would still need to do the research, it would just easy making items to research as long as someone in your character group knew how to make that item with the desired trait.

Yeah, I won't hold my breath waiting for this, but it would be nice.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are add-ons for this on PC, @FlopsyPrince, such as the AI Research Grid add-on.

It's still a good idea to add to the base game though ... even if you're not a console peasant.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is a free app for mobile where you can track your chars progression. ESO Helper.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are add-ons for this on PC, @FlopsyPrince, such as the AI Research Grid add-on.

It's still a good idea to add to the base game though ... even if you're not a console peasant.

Yeah, I've participated in some of OP's discussions and I'm pretty sure he's on PS4. I'm on XB1 so I can empathize with many of his issues.

There is a free app for mobile where you can track your chars progression. ESO Helper.

OP specifically mentioned he's aware of the app but because it requires viewing and updating separate from the game itself it is decidedly less convenient than having an in-game research tracker.

@FlopsyPrince I feel your pain buddy. I've went old-school and keep a clipboard with a paper spreadsheet for every character I have. I check the boxes as I research traits, and pencil in the next date that character will have research slots available. That way I don't have to login to that character every day to check the progress.

I may be in a slightly different situation because I have a complete 9-trait crafter so I don't need to focus on researching viable traits first, so what I've done is basically have all my alts research traits in a top to bottom, left to right pattern for each discipline. Powered axe --> powered hammer --> powered sword --> etc. I'm slightly AR so this keeps my spreadsheets looking somewhat organized and minimizes the "shotgun" research pattern, but more importantly it keeps the research timers consistent. Every item has the same number of traits researched, so if I have the research passive unlocked that allows me to research three items, all three will complete on the same day which streamlines the process. Rather than having one item on a 5 day timer, one on a 12 day, and one on a 2 day. It's all about efficiency when trying to finish off all those alts.

Also, by doing it this way if you craft items for multiple alts and put them in the bank, Character A won't accidentally research an item intended for Character B because they're all in sequential order.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Yeah, I've participated in some of OP's discussions and I'm pretty sure he's on PS4. I'm on XB1 so I can empathize with many of his issues.

OP specifically mentioned he's aware of the app but because it requires viewing and updating separate from the game itself it is decidedly less convenient than having an in-game research tracker.

@FlopsyPrince I feel your pain buddy. I've went old-school and keep a clipboard with a paper spreadsheet for every character I have. I check the boxes as I research traits, and pencil in the next date that character will have research slots available. That way I don't have to login to that character every day to check the progress.

I may be in a slightly different situation because I have a complete 9-trait crafter so I don't need to focus on researching viable traits first, so what I've done is basically have all my alts research traits in a top to bottom, left to right pattern for each discipline. Powered axe --> powered hammer --> powered sword --> etc. I'm slightly AR so this keeps my spreadsheets looking somewhat organized and minimizes the "shotgun" research pattern, but more importantly it keeps the research timers consistent. Every item has the same number of traits researched, so if I have the research passive unlocked that allows me to research three items, all three will complete on the same day which streamlines the process. Rather than having one item on a 5 day timer, one on a 12 day, and one on a 2 day. It's all about efficiency when trying to finish off all those alts.

Also, by doing it this way if you craft items for multiple alts and put them in the bank, Character A won't accidentally research an item intended for Character B because they're all in sequential order.

Yes, I am on the PS4. I have been using the ESO Helper app, but keeping it updated is a real pain. It would be great if they could directly pull the information, but that is not likely to happen. (Ironically, a game like Destiny let me swap gear on my characters with their web app. No such luck here.)

I have been looking at the crafting time lately to help balance out what is left. I hadn't thought of that until a few days ago. I started using a Notepad file, but that was even more annoying to keep up than the app.

I do often make duplicates of items I am crafting for research, but my bank is chock full with all my drops, so that only works to a point. (I really try not to auto delete these items, but they can get hit when I have to clear a bunch out for space.)

PC
    PS4/PS5