The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ummm, so I make glyphs then I re-learn them?

tbwmusicb16_ESO
Hi, I'll just start off by saying I'm new to all of this mmorpg stuff, so bear with me, please...

I'm slightly confused with the enchantment mechanics - I see I can make glyphs by collecting three rune stones (why are aspect rarer and require higher stats to use?)
and combining them together to make some random glyph (I have no idea what it's going to be). Then I understand that, once you've made a glyph, you can right click on your equipment and enchant it, IF it meets the requirements, but again, these requirements I'm not really understanding and haven't had much luck enchating ANYTHING at all that seems much use. Then, you can also learn or destroy a glyph whilst at the enchantment table? What does that do? Makes another stone? Sorry if I seem like a ***, I don't really care, I just want to get enchanting some weapons and armor so that I can tackle these dungeons with a bit more style - any help greatly f**king appreciated x
  • ps3preeb18_ESO
    ps3preeb18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Hi, I'll try to help and explain. There are 3 components to an enchant, 1) the "effect" - e.g. Increase, reduce, or defend a particular stat. 2) The actual stat "Magicka, Stamina, Health", finally 3) The power of the enchant - which is how much it raises, lowers or protects.

So you need to combine 3 things to make an enchant.

You also make enchants for certain pieces of armour / clothing, so weapon ones are not applicable to armour and vice versa. It will tell you in the description which it is for.

In crafting skills you can spend skill points to make you better at enchanting or gathering for that skill. I personally have added the keen eye & hireling options to give me a better "spot" of runes in the world and get "sent" runes by a lackey daily.

Finally, when you deconstruct (destroy) a glyph, you get back a random component of it's component parts used in its creation. So make stuff, then deconstruct to level and get exp when you make and when you deconstruct.

Hope that helps.
  • ps3preeb18_ESO
    ps3preeb18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Also, you start out by knowing nothing, each time you use a ? rune, you learn it, then next time you can work out whether it raises, lowers, effects Magicka, Stamina, etc, etc, So it pays to put ? runes together to learn their meaning.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can think of assembling a glyph like this:

[Effect] + (Stat) + <Quality>

[Effect] = whether you resist, raise or lower a stat, meaning this pretty much determines if it's an armor or weapon enchantment.

(Stat) = what the enchantment will be changing. Health, fire damage, poison, etc.

<Quality> = how powerful the enchantment will be. Whether it's going to raise your health by 10 points or 20 points, in other words. Also determines the rarity or "color" of the glyph. White, green, blue, purple or orange.

When you disassemble a glyph, what you're doing is destroying it to get back one of the three components that was used in it's creation. Either the [Effect], (Stat), or <Quality> rune that makes up the glyph.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Grendel3232
    As ps3preeb18 put it, when you use a rune you haven't used before it gets translated. After it has been translated you can see what it will do when you find another one and use it. Soon you will figure out what combinations of runes you like best. You also get a good amount of experience in enchanting from creating glyphs.

If you find a glyph you don't want then you can break it for a good amount of experience. This is probably the best way to go up in level in enchanting. Breaking found glyphs is good.

This also means that you can break the glyphs you have made. When you break a glyph you have made you get very little experience. It's not really worth it. The best option I have heard is trade it to a friend and let them break it. Then they get a lot of experience and they can give you their created glyphs so you can break them.

The most important thing to know is this skills levels very slowly. You can't just pop in every now and then and expect to make good progress. You have to spend some skill points and really be diligent. It will pay off.

Good luck and I hope to see you guys in the game.
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destructing your own creations will only yield a fraction of the XP gains. A white glyph that you create will only give 15 XP as that same glyph made by an alt or another player will grant 156 XP.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• ps3preeb18_ESO
    ps3preeb18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah, I noticed the really low XP gain on destroying your own glyphs, shame that, but I'm kinda lazy and figured if I'm levelling the skill I get XP for creation, XP for deconstructing and you get back a little something, so it could be better, but as I haven't got anyone to trade with yet it's an ok start.

If you can find another Enchanter it is certainly better to reciprocate levelling glyphs.