Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So what stun will Magsorcs use post-nerf?

TheShadower92
TheShadower92
✭✭
Now that Reach is no longer a ranged stun, what stun will Sorcs be using? Rune cage?
I'm not even sure how this skill functions, can you dodge roll while seeing the animation to stop it?

Also, will Reach still be viable as a spammable with a Master's Staff?

I'm fine with the direct dmg nerf, even with the shield size nerf. But why remove the stun from Reach? this reduces players' selection of disables.
It is a weapon skill, so every class has access to it. It is very visible and easy to dodge. Never felt like an OP skill. Just a nice, solid ranged stun that you can turn into a spammble with the Master's Staff. And poor Magdens also got their whole combo erased, with the removal of stun from the shock clench.

Any thoughts guys?
  • a_u_s_t_y
    a_u_s_t_y
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure the only took the stun off reach with a lightning staff. Fire staff still stuns with reach
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A CC shouldn't be a high damage spammable; that was just bad design. You get a free CC on cooldown without having to think about it or slot a specific skill.

Sorcs have an AOE unblockable stun that does damage again. Use that. Rune Cage is ranged but dodgable. It's not hard to dodge, but not really easy to see open world either what with all the effects going off.

Wardens are in a bad spot here but sorcs have options. I feel like magwardens should get the stun back on Fissure.
  • TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭
    a_u_s_t_y wrote: »
    Pretty sure the only took the stun off reach with a lightning staff. Fire staff still stuns with reach

That's not what the patch notes say man
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Flame Clench will still knockback/ stun. but the DoT has been removed and damage decreased.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    A CC shouldn't be a high damage spammable; that was just bad design. You get a free CC on cooldown without having to think about it or slot a specific skill.

Sorcs have an AOE unblockable stun that does damage again. Use that. Rune Cage is ranged but dodgable. It's not hard to dodge, but not really easy to see open world either what with all the effects going off.

Wardens are in a bad spot here but sorcs have options. I feel like magwardens should get the stun back on Fissure.

If you're referring to Streak, you're missing a very important point. Using Streak as a stun requires you to play in close range. Many Sorc, myself included, picked this class because we enjoy the kiting game. If I wanted to stun from close range, I would have played my Nightblade or a DK. That is why I don't like the idea of using Streak as a stun. It's a nice way to get out of a group, but I think Sorcs, or Magdens for that matter, should have a ranged disable.
  • TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭
    LeHarrt91 wrote: »

Flame Clench will still knockback/ stun. but the DoT has been removed and damage decreased.

Flame Clench, yeah. I read that. I was talking about Reach.
    Clench is only 15m range, Reach is 28m. For any ranged player, Rune Prison would be far superior to Clench, since RP has a 28m range, in comparison to 15m. Add to that the fact the Clench has no DoT effect, and you will find no reason to use it over RP. Even Streak would be better here.
  • LoreToo
    LoreToo
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever heard about some skill called rune cage?
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously they nerfed Reach? Its so easy to avoid.
    Back to Rune + Perfect Asylum
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭
    LoreToo wrote: »
    Have you ever heard about some skill called rune cage?

Thanks for reading my post, and leaving an educated and insightful comment.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you're referring to Streak, you're missing a very important point. Using Streak as a stun requires you to play in close range. Many Sorc, myself included, picked this class because we enjoy the kiting game. If I wanted to stun from close range, I would have played my Nightblade or a DK. That is why I don't like the idea of using Streak as a stun. It's a nice way to get out of a group, but I think Sorcs, or Magdens for that matter, should have a ranged disable.

You have a ranged stun (Rune Cage) and an ranged aoe root (Encase). You're just going to have to think about using them now, and give up something to have that extremely low risk 100% ranged play.

Don't sleep on streak, though. It can be used offensively to set up a combo OR defensively to streak through an attacker and buy time to get away AND to teleport in any direction. It's a very flexible, and you can use it more often next patch.
    Edited by NBrookus on July 9, 2019 2:44PM
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uh what is the reading comprehension in this forum? Clench the short range becomes a viable high damage dot. Reach becomes a long range utility spell but with no dot.

"Destructive Reach (morph): This morph retains the unique functionality for each elemental staff type you choose, but no longer deals damage over time. Flame Clench knocks the target back and stuns them for the duration; Frost Clench Immobilizes the target. Shock converts the attack into an AoE explosion, and deals our AoE damage standard.
    Destructive Reach (morph): This morph increases the range to 28 meters and reduces the cost to 2430 at Rank IV."
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    The wording is screwy as they are calling it clench under the reach morph description.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

there is no ranged combat in this game except shootouts between two zergs in cryo
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about thinking outside the box. Heavy overload with a charged trait on back bar lightning staff will now pretty much get 70 percent extra damage if you use lightning blockade as your target is pretty much guaranteed to be off balance the entire fight.
  • TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭

You have a ranged stun (Rune Cage) and an ranged aoe root (Encase). You're just going to have to think about using them now, and give up something to have that extremely low risk 100% ranged play.

Don't sleep on streak, though. It can be used offensively to set up a combo OR defensively to streak through an attacker and buy time to get away AND to teleport in any direction. It's a very flexible, and you can use it more often next patch.

You make a good point. We have RP as a ranged stun, and they're trying to make us use it instead of spamming Reach and stunning off CD at the same time.
    But if that is so, why reduce Reach's direct dmg by 17%? Why force it into a DoT?
    I love using this ability as a spammable. There are alternatives , some of them even do more direct dmg (Elemental Weapon), but it's so fun to shoot out fire rings from your inferno staff. Makes you feel like a sorcerer. So fine, remove the stun from it. But leave it's original direct dmg. Leave it as a viable spammable.
    I guess my point is it's such a cool, unique skill with a theme of your element of choice. It's my spammable of choice, and I find Force Pulse and Elemental Weapon very lackluster. Turning Reach into a "use once every 10 seconds to apply DoT" really bums me.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You make a good point. We have RP as a ranged stun, and they're trying to make us use it instead of spamming Reach and stunning off CD at the same time.
    But if that is so, why reduce Reach's direct dmg by 17%? Why force it into a DoT?
    I love using this ability as a spammable. There are alternatives , some of them even do more direct dmg (Elemental Weapon), but it's so fun to shoot out fire rings from your inferno staff. Makes you feel like a sorcerer. So fine, remove the stun from it. But leave it's original direct dmg. Leave it as a viable spammable.
    I guess my point is it's such a cool, unique skill with a theme of your element of choice. It's my spammable of choice, and I find Force Pulse and Elemental Weapon very lackluster. Turning Reach into a "use once every 10 seconds to apply DoT" really bums me.

Destro line has a good spammable already. This gives the line a spammable, a dot and/or cc with some utility, a very strong buff/debuff skill, a ground placed AOE dot and a moving AOE spammable. It sucks that magicka doesn't have another weapon line, but this does make for a clean weapon line.

And Reach stun was dodgeable like Rune Cage, so actual no utility is lost. Granted, some sorcs will have to take a hard look at their skill bars. Personally, I ran Force Pulse or Crushing Shock (I like them both) and Flame Reach already, and only one shield to make room for it.

One thing about ESO is you shouldn't get attached to specific builds; they'll get killed sooner or later. Probably sooner. :'( But sorcs DO need to be shaken up; everyone is running pet sorc because it's hands down the best option. Bring back some diversity. Sorcs have lost Trapping Webs spam, DW builds, Magicka Dawnbreaker and so many other options over the years -- yet have remained at or near the top pvp spec all this time. Sorcs will be fine

Me... I am grinning thinking about running a sorc bomber again. That streak un-nerf is JUICY.
  • TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭

Destro line has a good spammable already. This gives the line a spammable, a dot and/or cc with some utility, a very strong buff/debuff skill, a ground placed AOE dot and a moving AOE spammable. It sucks that magicka doesn't have another weapon line, but this does make for a clean weapon line.

And Reach stun was dodgeable like Rune Cage, so actual no utility is lost. Granted, some sorcs will have to take a hard look at their skill bars. Personally, I ran Force Pulse or Crushing Shock (I like them both) and Flame Reach already, and only one shield to make room for it.

One thing about ESO is you shouldn't get attached to specific builds; they'll get killed sooner or later. Probably sooner. :'( But sorcs DO need to be shaken up; everyone is running pet sorc because it's hands down the best option. Bring back some diversity. Sorcs have lost Trapping Webs spam, DW builds, Magicka Dawnbreaker and so many other options over the years -- yet have remained at or near the top pvp spec all this time. Sorcs will be fine

Me... I am grinning thinking about running a sorc bomber again. That streak un-nerf is JUICY.

Now that shields are going to be much weaker, what survivability tools do u think sorcs will be pushed to use? I think we will rely a lot on the Resto staff heals. This, consequently, will make Pirate Skeleton less popular among Magsorcs by a lot I feel.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that shields are going to be much weaker, what survivability tools do u think sorcs will be pushed to use? I think we will rely a lot on the Resto staff heals. This, consequently, will make Pirate Skeleton less popular among Magsorcs by a lot I feel.

I plan on going Impreg/Brass/Bloodspawn next patch. Getting as much defense as possible without needing to rely on shields. Should free up some bar space as well.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

On PTS, Mutagen is a stronger burst heal than Honor the Dead on my magplars. It's dirt cheap, has a HoT and an emergency burst heal that is pre-applied.

These are completely unbuffed tooltips on the same bar of the same character:
    pp8QVFE.png

I really don't like how hard every mag build is being pushed to destro/resto, but in the case of sorcs, it will certainly be a good fit for sorcs that want to drop Twilight.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shoot... I don't even have food on for that. That's a BIG mutagen heal.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So dizzy swing, and the magblade stun I get spammed with all the time should be removed? Any dizzy swing build is based off of a dot, 2h execute, and spamming dizzy swing until you can get execute in. I really don't think clench was an issue, and it's still available in flame clench form. They just wanted to kill magden more lol
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on July 9, 2019 7:32PM
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh wow that mutagen tooltip 😍 I feel much better about dropping healing ward next patch now.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PTS, Mutagen is a stronger burst heal than Honor the Dead on my magplars. It's dirt cheap, has a HoT and an emergency burst heal that is pre-applied.

These are completely unbuffed tooltips on the same bar of the same character:
    pp8QVFE.png

I really don't like how hard every mag build is being pushed to destro/resto, but in the case of sorcs, it will certainly be a good fit for sorcs that want to drop Twilight.

I ran the pet for 2 days before the patch notes came out, and have abruptly dropped it lmao. As long as shields are sustainable in this new patch then mutagen is amazing for solo sorcs. I've used it or power surge on my no pet sorc for years, it always brings you out of execute range. It even gives a heal to allies you encounter as well. My only issue on no pet sorc has to be stamina sustain. Making sure I have the stam sustain needed always leaves me shorthanded in some department or another.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think clench was an issue, and it's still available in flame clench form. They just wanted to kill magden more lol
    But compared to live, the Flame Clench damage and range will both be reduced. Exactly how much damage it'll do with a Master's Staff I can't say, but hopefully it'll be noticeably less than other "real" spammables.

I don't think that any instant cast, spammable ability - especially one that's usable at long range (ie, the live version of Destructive Reach) - should have both good damage and a stun/knockback attached. The best solution, IMO, is to keep the changes to Destructive Clench/Reach, and improve some of the other CC options to compensate (though I don't think Rune Prison or Streak need to be on that list...if you think those options are bad, try using the Necromancer Totem).
    Edited by wheem_ESO on July 9, 2019 8:37PM
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Oh wow that mutagen tooltip 😍 I feel much better about dropping healing ward next patch now.

Elder Stall Online?

“Just heal thru it meta”

Need burst? Don’t expect to find it in your 400ms delayed ulti!

Who is guiding this combat team?
    Edited by Insco851 on July 9, 2019 9:26PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That mutagen burst is at 20% health -- so it's not without risk. Messing with it on magplar versus another player, relying on Mutagen wasn't viable without a shield running.
    Edited by NBrookus on July 10, 2019 6:08AM
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll be using what I’ve always used depending on my opponent. 1 on 1 I’ll be using runecage. BG And Cyrodiil Streak! Streak is great and synergizes well with meteor, especially since it can no longer be blocked. Excellent change.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes, wrecking blow can. Incap can. Surprise attack can. Shock clench is just a stun its not a killer dps. What noob streamers plan next ?
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    I’ll be using what I’ve always used depending on my opponent. 1 on 1 I’ll be using runecage. BG And Cyrodiil Streak! Streak is great and synergizes well with meteor, especially since it can no longer be blocked. Excellent change.

Making Streak unblockable is the dumbest thing ever.
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

I plan on going Impreg/Brass/Bloodspawn next patch. Getting as much defense as possible without needing to rely on shields. Should free up some bar space as well.

How will you sustain or do any dmg at all.
    This set up can be viable now on live thanks to overperforming pet dmg, but next patch i dont think it will be viable at all. IMO you will lack both sustain and dmg.