Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Realizing I'm unhappy

audrieltheelf
audrieltheelf
✭✭✭
Not with the game, loving it so far, but I'm unhappy with my choices. I'm a first time MMO-er and didn't do enough research before I started building my character. I just thought "this sounds cool" and I was off to the races.

I'm a lvl 27 Templar and recently found my way into Greenshade and I'm just realizing I'm quite unhappy with my build. I'm more of a DPS than anything (personal preference) and was wondering how crazy it sounds that I want to trash my entire build and start over completely. I realize I can play a DPS as a Temp but they're geared far more toward healing and tanking which just isn't my style. Granted I'd probably keep my current just for her crafting skills but other than that I'm quite disappointed with her. So, am I crazy?

I realize it's my decision but validation (or opposition) is always something that helps me.
PC/NA/AD
Alaudria - v16 Altmer Sorc
Teleia Opisthia - v16 Imperial Templar (Tank)
Fionna Dark-Heart - v16 Imperial DK (Tank)
Katniss Never Seen - v16 Bosmer NB
Stilettos and a Lava Whip - v16 Dunmer DK
Kerasi Moro - v16 Breton Templar
Kyria Lathraia - v16 Imperial NB
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey man, it has happened to me lots of times - bad decisions as I wasn't quite sure what I was doing first off - and I rerolled and was happier. It's a game so even starting a new character is good fun.

No shame in that at all at all.
    -
    (also, can you not just buy a respec maybe from a shrine of rededication?)
    Edited by Crumpy on April 13, 2014 8:08PM
    I lyke not this quill.
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest that you still don't have all the information that would be helpful; by all means start a different character to get a sense of a different style of gameplay, but there's no need to do anything with your current character until you're sure what you want to do. I have six characters so far, and my problem is that I like them all too much to focus on one :-)
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're not crazy! I have a bunch of different characters to try testing builds on for stuff.

Templar is suppose to do some amazing dps. I run mine healing but have heard many storied about Templar DPS from folks that play it that way. So you don't have to re-roll if you don't want to. Templar DPS is viable. On the other hand it may not just be the type of dps you want to do (also understandable). My DPS character is going to be a destruction staff (fire) wielding Dragonknight :D

I'd say play around with stuff, find something you really like. There are so many options in this game it's crazy, and nearly anything is viable (I have a Sorc tank!).
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • audrieltheelf
    audrieltheelf
    ✭✭✭
    Exarch wrote: »
    I would suggest that you still don't have all the information that would be helpful; by all means start a different character to get a sense of a different style of gameplay, but there's no need to do anything with your current character until you're sure what you want to do. I have six characters so far, and my problem is that I like them all too much to focus on one :-)

Oh I absolutely know I don't have enough information as of yet. I've spent the last few days just reading, hardly playing at all. I don't plan on doing a single thing with my current character yet, if ever.
    Crumpy wrote: »
    Hey man, it has happened to me lots of times - bad decisions as I wasn't quite sure what I was doing first off - and I rerolled and was happier. It's a game so even starting a new character is good fun.

No shame in that at all at all.
    -
    (also, can you not just buy a respec maybe from a shrine of rededication?)

I did respec last week and that's really what made me realize I wasn't as happy as I should be. During beta I played a sorc and was so over the moon I thought it would transfer to any class. I realize it was beta but I created an alt sorc and I'm wanting to play her more than my main even though she's only lvl 10 I believe.
    Lalai wrote: »
    On the other hand it may not just be the type of dps you want to do (also understandable).

I'm pretty sure this is my hang up I just didn't know how to put it into words.
    PC/NA/AD
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Still happens to me and I've been playing MMO's since SWG. I love beta testing cause I can try classes and builds. During this games beta I tried 12 different characters. Now I'm very happy with my 4 characters. Also searching the forums for builds helps a lot. Gotta do your research in games that don't make changing or redoing you builds easy.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happens all the time in every MMO.
    I kinda expect it now but I must admit I'm happy with my kickass sorc.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like the style of play, then of course it's better to switch sooner rather than later. However, I've had no problem doing damage with my templar, and I very much split my skill points between damage, healing and tradeskills. Were I to go more heavily into damage, I'd be even more effective.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens to me all the time, I've trashed several level 16 characters. I finally found the one I'm the most happy with. I lost all that time in head start but I'm not in a race and am enjoying my new character and build.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • audrieltheelf
    audrieltheelf
    ✭✭✭
    I should also mention that I'm all for full immersion so I feel, again personally not based on what the game allows me to do, like I'm not being true to my character. I truly do appreciate every word of input for everyone. Thank you so much!!
    PC/NA/AD
  • audrieltheelf
    audrieltheelf
    ✭✭✭
    NiRN wrote: »
    I lost all that time in head start but I'm not in a race

This comment is so appropriate. Seeing all these VR1, and higher, players always throws me off. It's so early in the game I feel like I'm racing toward them and missing out on the true purpose all along.
    PC/NA/AD
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wishing you luck in finding a character and build you fall in luv with. For me I thought it was the Nightblade... but it turns out I'm a Sorcerer. :) Happy Adventuring OP!
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!