Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skeletons Lore

HappyLittleTree
HappyLittleTree
✭✭✭✭✭
Just asking how it is possible that argonians/khajiit have men/mer/humanoid skeletons but look like they do?
Is there some kind of explanation? are argonians and khajiit really just men/mer in disguise?

Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just how different do you think their skeletons ought to be based on what Khajiit amd Argonians look like?

In ESO, they appear pretty humanoid, aside from the tails and the skulls, which are clearly different in the skeletons. This isnt TES 3 with digitigrade legs.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 9, 2019 12:52PM
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just how different do you think their skeletons ought to be based on what Khajiit amd Argonians look like?

In ESO, they appear pretty humanoid, aside from the tails and the skulls, which are clearly different in the skeletons. This isnt TES 3 with digitigrade legs.

It's just when i use the "skeleton" polymorph which clearly states:

This guise causes the user to take on the appearance of a living skeleton.

it turns my argonians/khajiit into this:
    266px-ON-polymorph-Gemstone_of_Skeletal_Visage.jpg

So i thought there may be a lore explanation behind this.
    Some say it is because of the Kothringi quest but it is nowhere stated in the polymorph.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just when i use the "skeleton" polymorph which clearly states:

This guise causes the user to take on the appearance of a living skeleton.

it turns my argonians/khajiit into this:
    266px-ON-polymorph-Gemstone_of_Skeletal_Visage.jpg

So i thought there may be a lore explanation behind this.
    Some say it is because of the Kothringi quest but it is nowhere stated in the polymorph.

Thank you for clarifying you were speaking of a particular polymorph. Your question now makes a lot more sense.

That, I have no clue, unless its the "a living skeleton" instead of "your skeleton" and you appear as do the Kothringi regardless of your race. Given the quest reward nature of that polymorph, that's a reasonable explanation.

If you are interested in the looks that do reflect your race, the Cadaverous Assassin costume obtained from the Litany of Woe does reflect man, mer, khajiit and argonian.
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really remember the quest since it's been a while, but weren't you turned into a skeleton as a sort of disguise during the quest? If so then I'd say the polymorph is specifically a Kothringi skeleton as opposed to a skeleton version of yourself.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well its a old polly and i think back then skelitions were very basic.
    Now however my dunmer necro who summons a skeltion mage its always a argonian (which i find very funny) and the skelition look more reptile so it might be els updated the dead since they are intrigal to the class.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »
    Well its a old polly and i think back then skelitions were very basic.
    Now however my dunmer necro who summons a skeltion mage its always a argonian (which i find very funny) and the skelition look more reptile so it might be els updated the dead since they are intrigal to the class.

Actually, they summon human, Argonian and khajiit in alternating order (even the staff/bow matches the racial style of the summoned skeleton).

And as for the identical skeletons, just have a look at real world nature. We have the same, basic skeletal design as most mammals. Considering in ESO all races walk upright and have the same proportions, it only makes sense that the skeletons
    of beast races would be no different from Men/Mer.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In response to your original question, I believe the official dev word on skeletons (it was from some Loremaster Q&A) is that they're made of bones.

Edit: This is true of all races
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on August 31, 2019 11:01PM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    The originals skeleton polymorph is getting old, and the devs didn't take the beast races into consideration when it was being developed. I'm not sure when they would have specifically developed the skeleton morphs, but it could have been as far back as 2011 or 2012. The later morphs which use skeletons have the beast shapes for the appropriate races.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't gotten to the skeleton polymorph yet, but I know I'll be disappointed when I do...

Sure, we're finally showing the Khajiit and Argonians some love (except with that old morph - you think they could just update that already...), but there's another race that has an obvious feature for their skeleton that doesn't get shown.

Why do my Orc's teeth have to fall out for him to use it?

They've even got the Orc skull/corpse of mayhem for furnishings that has the protruded jaw and tusks, but I won't even get that with the cadaverous assassin. ZOS, our Orcs still want to be Orc-y when they take one of the skeletal polymorphs!
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand what reason do those guys give themselves to use that skeleton polymorph. It' just the same thing if you bump into walking skeleton or any other similar phreak in the street IRL. So odd it is..
  • 2Weenies
    2Weenies
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what reason do those guys give themselves to use that skeleton polymorph. It' just the same thing if you bump into walking skeleton or any other similar phreak in the street IRL. So odd it is..

Sometimes one just has to air out the skeletons in their closet. They might not have a bone to pick with you, but their skulls are too thick to-

Okay, enough of that.

For OP, I suppose the skeleton polymorph is specifically that of the Kothringi people, and not just our chosen race. A bit of a shame, really. If, by chance, they do update the poly? All the more reason to run around bare bones when you can have your lovely, beastly skull and/or tail on display.
    "We're watching you, scum." ~ Every Ordinator who witnesses my social media commentary