The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Launcher using ProgramData folder instead of My Documents?

Davadin
Davadin
✭✭✭✭✭
Played this game for years. Played in this Win10 laptop since Summerset release and this never happened.

One day after installing the patch, my launcher sporadically create and use the ESO/live/... folder in C:/ProgramData instead of C:/user/.../My Document/ESO/live...

How do I noticed? Because I had to accept the EULA, lost my add-ons, using different video settings etc.

Took me a while to figure out what's going on (I found out by saving a screenshot and saw the link posted is going to ProgramData and went "Huh? WT*?"), so I double-checked my Doc folder and it's all there, normally.

After fiddling a bit, I found the best solution is to copy my live folder to programData and plays from there.

But here's the thing: after a few days, I changed some add-on settings, saved new variables with BanditUI etc..... and one day I logged in and found out ALL my work has been resetted???

Problem: Launcher decided on a whim to use the My Document one again!!! (which has outdated add-on data).

WHY?

And a couple days after that it's been sporadic on which one it uses.... (I saved a bunch of new build in a gear-swap add-on for theorycrafting)

Yes, it's Windows 10, yes, I have OneDrive running, yes, my Documents Library is pointing to both the local My Doc and the OneDrive folder, but again, it's been fine for about a year. What's the suddent changes?

Can I permanently set my launcher to pick ONE location to save my settings??

Thanks for reading. Please help.

TLDR; launcher uses 2 locations to load my settings, I can't figure out how to set it only 1. Nothing changed on my spec for over a year.
Edited by Davadin on July 4, 2019 2:40PM
August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Symlink e.g. ProgramData/ESO -> User/ESO.

This works.

Funny thing though,
    1. when u take screenshot, it still shows ur saving ProgramData instead of Users. (i mean, that's the whole purpose)
    2. since i have OneDrive and enable "save screenshots", it used to copy the screenshots in the screenshots folder, and upload it. Now, it MOVE the screenshot and put it in the onedrive folder.... so now ALL my ESO screenshots is in user/pictures/screenshots folder. also kind of annoying.

i'm still looking for the launcher to remember which folder is used as settings.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem: any changes/modification to the add-ons in-game won't get saved this way.

Solution: reverse the previous solution.

cut-paste from userdoc to programdata. mklink in userdata to programdata.

so far (fingers crossed) haven't tried creating a new folder in user data, and screenshot/add-ons are saved normally.

hell if i know why it's doing this. probably something with OneDrive and Win10.