Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hofgrad Kjisorssen's "Master"

FilteredRiddle
FilteredRiddle
✭✭✭✭
Spoilers for the Elsweyr quest, "The Connoisseur"

In Elsweyr, you can find a note called, "Reward for Stolen Wine" near Talon Gulch and the Scar's End Wayshrine. The note asks you to collect three bottles of wine which all have strange properties (described in the note) before returning them to, "Hofgrad Kjisorssen, faithful servant to his master". The first two bottles are fairly uneventful and the third bottle is near a single dead body. When you return the bottles to Hofgrad, he discusses how he's surprised you haven't completely lost your mind. For example, when you tell him that you found the third bottle by a lone dead body, he states, "Just one? The last person who returned these bottles found them under a pile of corpses. He was so affected by the wine that he purportedly spent the rest of his existence atop that mass of bodies. Fortunately, you seem to be immune to the curse." Through the course of conversation, you find out that Hofgrad himself is cursed - after having attempted to steal something from his 'Master' - to stand in this exact position in The Stitches, gathering cursed items for his Master (who collects them) in perpetuity.

Hofgrad only ever refers to his 'Master' by this title, and when you ask who it is he simply exclaims, "Never say his name, stranger. His name is more horrible than any curse."

Who could it be? I thought maybe Sheogorath, but it seemed even a little odd to fit him. Any guesses?
Xbox One NA
The Sentinels of Padomay
Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
- Jane McGonigal
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone who collects cursed relics sounds like Sheo.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe Sanguine guessing from the wine stuff :thinking:
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It certainly is a mystery, or at least the start of a mystery. I'm hoping we'll be seeing more of this.

Hofgrad Kjisorssen says he's cursed because he stole a book from his master (note lowercase "m" in dialogue). So, I think his master is someone who resides on Tamriel. The master may be a Wizard, in similar style to an eccentric Telvani Magister.

Maybe there'll be some more cursed items for us to bring to Hofgrad in Q3 and/or Q4 , and the mystery will deepen.

I also noticed that there's a distinct Nord flavour to this mystery. Nord quest giver, Nord corpse, Nord motif belt for a reward. Ice-cold wine. So, maybe this is something that will play forward to a Skyrim chapter next year. Perhaps the master is a crazy mage who lives in the midden beneath the College of Winterhold, or in the ice cave of Septimus Signus.

If there is ultimately a Daedric Prince behind this, I'd put my money on Hermeous Mora.
    PC EU
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just did this quest yesterday, and thought that it was a nice easter egg "making fun" of NPC's that just stand in a single place for all of eternity, cursed to look at the same scene in front of them for years, just like Hofgrad.
    As for his master, my thoughts immediately went to Sheogorath, obviously, but I can see his master being a mortal as well. As was pointed out, a powerful, more or less eccentric Wizard is a safe bet.
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I think of wine, I think of sanguine, but with books, I think of hermaus mora.