Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Resistances and CP question

DUTCH_REAPER
DUTCH_REAPER
✭✭✭✭✭
A few questions if anyone knows the answer great if not no worries but I know there are so many smarter people out there than me when it comes to this game.

Questions:
1. At what point in a Spell/ Physical resist value is it not important to go any higher due to severe diminishing returns if you keep increasing that value?
in example if I have 20k spell resist is it better to raise that higher to 25k or is it better to raise the value of elemental/magic defender?

2. Is it possible as a dark elf to fully mitigate the increase in fire damage with max CP point placement and if it is what is it?

3. Is it better to have 100 points into spell resist in the CP tree and a little in elemental defender or split evenly?

4. The damage reducer in the CP tree to DOTs, I don’t get this one because if a dot is fire or poison wouldn’t it already be mitigated by the other two CP trees? Should any go into it if you have really high pint places into the other two trees that mitigate the type of damage the DOT is?

Thank you so much in advance.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As best I can tell from my own experience and listening/reading to others:
    1. At what point in a Spell/ Physical resist value is it not important to go any higher due to severe diminishing returns if you keep increasing that value?
    in example if I have 20k spell resist is it better to raise that higher to 25k or is it better to raise the value of elemental/magic defender?
    660 spell/physical resistance equates to 1% mitigation. The cap is at 50% mitigation, which is 50 * 660 = 33, 000. You can also use this equation to see what is better for your CP investment, as after a while the diminishing returns on CP mean you will be investing more and more points to continually increase in 660 (1%) increments. There will become a time where you are better served not to invest in that and put them elsewhere.
    2. Is it possible as a dark elf to fully mitigate the increase in fire damage with max CP point placement and if it is what is it?
    I imagine it would be, but due to the diminishing returns of overly investing in any one star in the CP system, it would probably not be in your best interest to do so.
    3. Is it better to have 100 points into spell resist in the CP tree and a little in elemental defender or split evenly?
    Usually it's best to split them up, once again due to the diminishing returns of the CP system. Generally think very carefully if you're going to invest more than 75 points in any star, as the diminishing returns really hurt from 75 to 100.
    4. The damage reducer in the CP tree to DOTs, I don’t get this one because if a dot is fire or poison wouldn’t it already be mitigated by the other two CP trees? Should any go into it if you have really high pint places into the other two trees that mitigate the type of damage the DOT is?
    Yes. Just like multiple CP stars can effect the same out-going damage type, so too can multiple CP stars overlap and reduce the same type of incoming damage type/s. How much you put where, is really up to you, but once again, unless you're specifically building to mitigate a certain type of enemy/encounter you're often best spreading around your CP a bit to cover most bases, or at least prop up your weaker areas that you feel you struggle with.

If you can be anything, be kind.